Johnso's Dream Saw Rebuild!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnsobri

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Johnsobri's Stihl 028 Super Rebuild

Hello, just wanted to start a thread showing me rebuilding my dream saw.

I know it's not a big 100cc+ saw but that isn't what I wanted to do(yet at least!). I grew up running my fathers 028 AVEQ and fell in love with the "round butt" Stihl's as some people call them. With my father having an 028 I was always on the lookout for the same but I really wanted an 028 Super. Couldn't let my old man show me up so I needed a more powerful saw than him. My fathers saw has always treated us well and to this day is a great runner and looker!

I was selling an 026 that I flipped and as I always do I put that I would trade for chainsaws. A guy called and we worked out a deal to where I got cash and an 028 Super. Sweet! So that's how I came to acquire this:

The good:

Recoil Side by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

Clutch Side by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

Bottom by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

Top cover by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

The bad:

Cylinder by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

I have already torn the saw down and it's waiting to be cleaned.

When I was breaking it down I decided to do a vacuum test to see if I could find what caused it to score the piston. Looks like the impulse line was the reason for the lean condition.

I have already ordered some parts. Since I knew I was going to tear it down I went ahead and ordered the fuel & impulse line, intake boot, and oil seals. I did order a meteor piston in hopes that the cylinder can be saved.

I haven't taken the cylinder off yet because I want to clean the crankcase up so I don't have any problems with chips/dirt falling into it.

I don't know if I am going to go the whole painting route just yet. I am going to wait and see how I feel about that a little later.

I hope to detail the process of this rebuild to help keep me going in the right direction and to maybe help some other people out who are doing the same thing.

Hope you enjoy the build!

Delete the B gasket, muffler mod(depends on how it looks), and maybe try your hand at porting.. :) you will be happy!!

Nice saw! I grew up and feel the same way about an 034AV. It was the first saw I ran and the only saw we had for a long time. It has ran with nothing more than being blown off with air for 25 years. It finally gave up yesterday. The case gasket gave way and filled the crankcase with bar oil. I went over to talk to dad and I thought he was burning brush up on the hill. Turns out he was still trying to run the saw. lol I have never seen that much smoke come out of a chainsaw. I've got parts on order and I will be replacing the case gasket, front AV buffer, rings, and the sparkplug.

I know there's not much in the way of a restrictive muffler on that saw, but I got hold of a rare "jungle" muffler for mine. One of those they put on the saws destined for central America. Boy does it sound great! Looks great too. Not sure if it helps performance or not, but sure stands out among the other 028's. Also added the high volume oil pump kit. That made a serious difference in oil flow to the bar. Too much in most cases. Enjoy the saw. They're my favorite Stihl. Built like tanks and have plenty of grunt.

Well, it's been almost a month so it's time for an update. I have been working on the honey-do-list. That's done now so time for the saws!

Got it all torn down and cleaned. I used the dishwasher to clean the plastic's. It is amazing how well the washer works!

I also pulled the cylinder and am in the process of cleaning it up with some acid. I hope to get it cleaned up and ready to go tomorrow.

Here is a bad picture of the cylinder,

Meteor piston with caber rings will be going in after the cylinder is cleaned up. I want to pull the base gasket if there is enough room. What's a good squish?

Tomorrow I plan on replacing the oil seals so wish me luck.

How do you check crank bearings to make sure they are good? Do you simply try to move the end of the crank up and down, push and pull to see if there is any play in it?

I'd go .018 on the squish. Some go tighter, some larger... that's a good compromise.
I check the bearings by trying to moving the crank up and down. Also by sound, but in your case, you can't do that.

How do you check crank bearings to make sure they are good? Do you simply try to move the end of the crank up and down, push and pull to see if there is any play in it?

I believe if they look good, turn smoothly, and have no play as you described they're good to go. A lot of folks say replace them when you've got everything broken down, but OEM replacements are expensive, and aftermarkets are risky at times. I figure if the current ones don't exhibit any issues why replace them...

Looks like I'm on the look out for a new cylinder! I was really hoping this cylinder would clean up, but there was just too much scoring. I did get all the transfer cleaned up but there is one spot to the right of the exhaust port that has scoring through the plating to the top of the cylinder.

While I was in the shop I did check the bearings and they are tight no play in any way. I am good to go on that front.

So, I am at a stand still until I find a new cylinder.

Saw Gods

Praying to the saw gods really does work!

As I was in the hunt for a new cylinder one popped up 5 mins from my house on Craigslist! I went and checked it out, the p/c were in perfect shape. Saw is a little dirty otherwise but mostly complete. I really lucked out on this one!

Here she is in all her beauty:

Well project is back on schedule.

Getting there

Well I have started putting the old girl back together.

I removed the base gasket and have a squish of a little less than .020". Used Threebond in place of the base gasket to seal everything up. I think that will get some great compression out of this girl. I will have some numbers after i check that.

Off my donor saw I got a great cylinder and piston so I threw the caber rings that I had for the meteor piston I purchased, put them in the oem piston and threw it together.

Looks like i'll have to build another 028 super with my donor(man that stinks!:msp_razz:).

Vac tested it when I got it all back together the needle didn't even move @ 5psi.

Just waiting on a carb rebuild kit to finish everything up than it will be ready to rip.

Here's so pics of the process.

Nice project.

I wouldnt be in any hurry to ditch the cleaned cylinder. It will surely help you learn the art of cylinder porting. Plan on studying a degree wheel which will help you to understand the what and when of a piston ported engine.

Thanks,

That's a great idea! Maybe a degree wheel is in my future!

Finished!

Well guys and girls, here is the finished saw. I just finished up rebuilding the carb and it runs great! I have yet to put it in any wood but that will happen soon. I am very excited to test this bad boy out.

I was looking to see what psi was on this beast since i removed the base gasket and it ended up blowing ~200psi and the rings are not broken in yet! SWEET!

For the ones with more knowledge than me is that number sound right?

Anyway I cant wait go cutting.

DSC00926 by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

DSC00925 by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

DSC00927 by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

DSC00928 by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

DSC00930 by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

DSC00924 by llzebraheadll, on Flickr

Thanks!

wow that is some stout compression! I don't know how they normally do but that is pretty high. sometimes you can get fooled by the effect oil will have on sealing. so it is imperative to test on a warm engine not hot. What can happen is the gas in the chamber can settle and the oil will fool you by showing a better seal. You see a lot of people on here state cold static comp. well it may or may not be accurate. how does your gauge test on other saws?

Nice project btw.

Can you do me a favor and get the measurements of the piston?I am looking for skirt width,over all height, and the pin to crown measurement.

I am looking at using this for a partner 5000, i heard it is a good swap but want to see the measurement be fore I buy a piston.

Thank you

David

Back