Jonsered 2159c idling tuning issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK ..Last time I had bad internet and wasn't able to enlarge the videos when I got them on and off on my **** box phone. I was really focusing on the noise's of the clutch.

After viewing the clutch (which looks very clean) I checked out the vids again but I would be able to tell more detail as to what's going on with the clutch if your chain wasn't so tight. If the saw was set up properly then that chain should take 3.5 - 4 seconds to stop.
The audio is a little off but it appears your chain is stopping immediately.
Yes you are right ...that's how the clutch works. If the clutch is grabbing then we may see the chain grab on or stall on lower revs. I prefer the chain on but loose to decipher finicky issues between carb or clutch but its clear to me the carb is starving although ran for a bit in the first vidio
Its worth taking off the clutch if you already haven't and make sure there is not kevlar or topo thread on the shaft and impeding with the bearing as well look at the drum to make sure its not ovaled...and you may want to replace the bearing and pack it. Definitely appears to be a little more play in there and one of the shoes is sitting a little closer to the drum on the one side so the combination is making it clip there I would think. I had a shoe that sat close like that after replacing springs on one of my clutches from a 357. I think I ran it with out problems for a short time then had It for a spare then gave it away. Make sure those springs are sitting in properly.
Compare one to the next carefully.
The clutch looks clean.
Its possible the clutch was black and was cleaned up?? If the clutch was black I would say replace the springs. I can't tell visually if the springs are weak by inspecting a clutch in my hands unless discolouring is present.
The carb is definitely starving for fuel. It looks like the saw was going to stay running with the choke on?
Will have to go through that carb with you, may have to raise the lever if it still does that after tunning.

I'll write more in the morning.
That brake band looks OK to you?

I didn't clean the clutch. Also I was trigering the chainsaw to rev it down in those videos, otherwise it winds way up and kills itself. I will remove the clutch and look for Kevlar or hunk in there, also do you think that play in the drum is too much? I don't have a caliper big enough to check roundness on the drum.

?? Its tinging away so its not great by any means. Just take a visual at the drum, you will see if its not round if its really bad. Perhaps a new bearing will tighten it a bit more. I was wondering if someone else cleaned it up is all. OK ..I read it again, the first vid was with the fast idle on for a bit. yes its starving out of fuel.

So if it's starving for fuel just turn the Low screw anti clockwise? Also I rebuilt the carb and am quite sure it is right. Replaced fuel filter. Maybe I need to run piano wire in the small holes in the carb block? I never replaced the ovalish pressd in caps on the carb block even though the kit came with them. I wasn't sure how to getth an out anyway

OK go through the clutch and loosen the chain and set the low just like I wrote down. yeah it would need to go back it appears unless its just not getting enough in the bowl? just made sure you changed the main things and are all compatible and in order.

You know how to take the clutch off?
I just go against the compression like removing a clutch fan on a truck.
I just use the bar wrench in the slot and generally the bar because its right there in my reach. and it takes about 5 good hits on an average.
Can't beat it...no pun

You know how to take the clutch off?
I just go against the compression like removing a clutch fan on a truck.
I just use the bar wrench in the slot and generally the bar because its right there in my reach. and it takes about 5 good hits on an average.
Can't beat it...no pun

I saw the slots and thought the bar wrench looked about right... Got rained out at work this evening gonna give it a go

Just got to it,20170515_192241_HDR.jpg 20170515_192254_HDR.jpg 20170515_192113_HDR.jpg the next one I thought it was a crack but then realized it doesn't go down the sides maybe a crack in the casting mould20170515_192134_HDR.jpg does everything look fine, Ima clean them a bit while I wait for reply

Lol looks OK, looks like that one spring is not sitting right on the clutch to me. I see the drum has a couple bangs on it? Make sure there is no burs there. Look at that spring please

*Edit
I don't like the bearing or drum but pack it with grease for now and see if we can set it up

Progress! Or not...

So I put it back together and had the same results, I did try big changes to the throttle screw because I wasn't sure where it was supposed to be... Any default for it? I did notice if I ran the saw and when it started dying is pull out the choke for a sec and back in and if I did this repeatedly it would continue to run... So it is lean. I ran the throttle screw all the way out and thought I would use the trigger to keep it going. If I have it good throttle it was running ok but it would eventually die. Finally it snubbed and the pull start was hard. I almost crapped myself thinking I scored the cylindr. It looked ok so I noticed the chain was also stuck. When I removed the bar screws the housing piece with the brake was stuck to the drum. I managed to seperate it and remove the clutch and noticed black plastic fibers. That plastic ring at the bottom is seized up and won't let the drum turn.

I don't know what it is or how hard it is to replace but my hope is that maybe it was turning hard and snubbing out the saw when I try to tune it and it finally failed.

Or I messed something up that broke it and now I'm a step back from where I was.

Lol..I was going to give you more advice on reassembly. I'll read again but it sounds like you didn't set the drum spline in the worm gear (black thingy at the bottom)
.lol its that nylon gear that turns your oiler shouldn't have been that big of a deal that it didn't go in. But it sounds like it was.
How bad is it? Take the side cover off again and the clutch..
I'll reread...

OK you melted the worm gear...lol
Try spin out anti clockwise but you may need to pry it up at the same time. I did that bad a few year ago and it was hard to get it all out.
I with going to have you inspect it too. Anyhow you may need to take the aluminum plate off. You will get to know your saw and when you have oiling issues then you will be familiar. Not to expensive. I would get a drum a bearing and a worm gear. Make sure they are the same size I believe that's the 7/8 drum.
The big one.

Cool, that is a lot of play in that drum/bearing, it sounds bad and it should stand up a lot tighter than that. I'm certain it won't set up properly. Is the brake and cover ok?
You can go through that carb and make certain its good. Doesn't o one of the needles have washer on it? Just make sure because if it won't set up I'll have you pull the level up a hair to acvate the diagram a little more but you have to be certain its all in order and no mismatch with the warbro.
Thnx
Sorry ..I didn't mean to laugh.
Patients man.

Latest posts

Back