Jonsered 2188 = Husky 390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you found time to open that envelope yet? :greenchainsaw:

:cheers:

Yeah, it was just the spring trimmer program, which I pretty much expected. But it was such a perfect opening for a tease. :cheers:

There is another new saw, though it's not a model any of us will be interested in. The.........drum roll........2238. Which is simply a version of the Husky 235/240. I didn't check to see which one it actually specs out to, because I'm not interested in it either. LOL But any new model is good because it demonstrates that the brand will continue.

As soon as I get something solid on the 2188 I'll be sure to post it here.

Now, about this first saw thing. I'm not going to order just one saw, probably a half dozen or so. So, there really isn't going to be a first saw but a first load. So, that's how you guys can sort of all get the first one. Think of that first load like ordering a pizza and we each get a slice. :cheers:

Now, about this first saw thing. I'm not going to order just one saw, probably a half dozen or so. So, there really isn't going to be a first saw but a first load. So, that's how you guys can sort of all get the first one. Think of that first load like ordering a pizza and we each get a slice. :cheers:

BUT, unlike a pizza, those saws will have serial numbers making one of them "the first". It's like the pizza was dropped and all the toppings slid over to one side.

Yeah, it was just the spring trimmer program, which I pretty much expected. But it was such a perfect opening for a tease. :cheers:

There is another new saw, though it's not a model any of us will be interested in. The.........drum roll........2238. Which is simply a version of the Husky 235/240. I didn't check to see which one it actually specs out to, because I'm not interested in it either. LOL But any new model is good because it demonstrates that the brand will continue.

I'll keep waiting. I probably won't even be able to use it until next summer anyways. ;)

If they come out in the fall, are they going away by January for the emissions stuff? Or is all the hype on here not really that bad for the EPA deadlines?

The 2238 is the equivalent of the 240E. :cheers:

You always have the latest and greatest info! That sounds very interesting. Although I don't need a saw that big,the 7900 can take care of anything and I have the 105, but suffering from CAD well you know? I wonder if Canada will feel the epa 2010 stuff? I know you can still buy a regular gas can here.

What do you mean by "regular gas can"?

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I have no use at all for one, but could be a nice one to stash away - do you think a 16" is perfect....

:yourock:

Maybe I should race you for the lowest serial number - they only are in he printed catalog here, not at the web-site yet.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
What do you mean by "regular gas can"?
Ah one with a vent on the top. I have a friend who is a avid ice fisherman, he just asked me if I have tried any of the new can's as they are crap they pore with a glug glug and get's fuel everywhere he told me Got more fuel on the lake ice than in his auger. What ever happens in the U.S, Canada will follow in a year or two when the old supplies dry up.And as they seldom make a Canada specific item we will also have the new epa cans soon.
Speaking of Canada specific items my hat's off to Stihl I am not even a Stihl Head lol. But they do have a 260 arctic here.
I am lucky as I have a lot of Fuel can's even a few GI U.S ones, I wonder if you can still get the Blits cans in the U.S, a copy of the GI metal can 5 gal?

Hm, I've never heard of that nonsense before. How can you have a can without a vent? You are talking about the red Jerry cans, right? At any rate, I have a couple self-venting spouts that have two channels inside, one for air and one for the gas, so maybe those cans need to have something like that? I have four 5-gal cans and five 2-gal cans so I'm set for a few years anyway.

I was speaking with Dan Tilton today at the expo (really nice guy by the way) and they are still working on a price for the 2188, and wouldn't say for sure if they would get it here or not.

Also, he said that the smaller cc saws are going to go away first for the EPA and the larger saws will hang around for a while. I didn't get the impression that all saws will be strato by 2010.

I was speaking with Dan Tilton today at the expo (really nice guy by the way) and they are still working on a price for the 2188, and wouldn't say for sure if they would get it here or not.

Also, he said that the smaller cc saws are going to go away first for the EPA and the larger saws will hang around for a while. I didn't get the impression that all saws will be strato by 2010.

Good update, PB. Dan is a pretty decent guy.

They never say anything for sure about coming models until they arrive. If they are working on a price, then there is a good chance that it is coming.

As for smaller saws going away first, was that the 2165/2171? The other non-strato saws, 2152/2153 and 2156/2159, have cat mufflers. The 2165/2171 don't have and are not likely to get cats.

Also, looking over at the other side of the family where everything happens first, the 353/346/357/359 do not yet have strato replacements, so there is no way that Jonsered will get them first. The 365/372 replacements, as we know, are already in the line up, (570/576). So, it's a safe bet that the 2165 and 2171 will be the next Jonnys to be replaced with strato models.

They never say anything for sure about coming models until they arrive. If they are working on a price, then there is a good chance that it is coming.

As for smaller saws going away first, was that the 2165/2171? The other non-strato saws, 2152/2153 and 2156/2159, have cat mufflers. The 2165/2171 don't have and are not likely to get cats.

Also, looking over at the other side of the family where everything happens first, the 353/346/357/359 do not yet have strato replacements, so there is no way that Jonsered will get them first. The 365/372 replacements, as we know, are already in the line up, (570/576). So, it's a safe bet that the 2165 and 2171 will be the next Jonnys to be replaced with strato models.

I remember you saying that they wouldn't say anything about new saws until they showed up, and had that in the back of my mind.

As for the strato saws, he wasn't very specific. He said the smaller saws, the 2141,2145, and 2150 were all strato. The impression I got (could be wrong) was that those smaller saws need to meet the Jan. 1 deadline, and the larger saws need to meet the EPA regulations later. He said some saws could stick around until Jan. 1 2011.

Any new JRed is a good deal.

Dan also mentioned a guy in Croghan, New York with multiple school buses full of obsolete JRed parts. This guy also has several NOS saws in the box, 49SP, 70E and who knows what else. Do you know who this guy is? It's not George Blake, he said his last name but I forget what it is. Starts with a L if I remember.

Last edited:

Sure, I agree - except that the 357xp replacement may be right around the corner.;)

My guess is that the 346xp/2153 and the 390xp/2188 will be the last non-strato Husky/Jonsereds to survive. :)

Remember that Husky bought Redmax, mainly to gain EPA credits (I guess).

Last edited:
Dan also mentioned a guy in Croghan, New York with multiple school buses full of obsolete JRed parts. This guy also has several NOS saws in the box, 49SP, 70E and who knows what else. Do you know who this guy is? It's not George Blake, he said his last name but I forget what it is. Starts with a L if I remember.

Yeah, I know who he is, but I ain't posting it. LOL There's all kinds of stuff up there. His son Bryan is also my Tilton rep.

Are you still stopping down later this month?

Yeah, I know who he is, but I ain't posting it. LOL There's all kinds of stuff up there. His son Bryan is also my Tilton rep.

Are you still stopping down later this month?

I figured out who it is. ;)

I am still planning on stopping in. Might be on a Tues or Wed though instead of a Saturday. I am thinking it will be the 26th (Tuesday after Memorial day), if you will be there. No major purchases this time though. :(

Latest posts

Back