Jonsered 670

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hedge is like cutting bricks with a chainsaw. Sparks fly on the tree's that have been down for over 3 months. When cutting hedge, you need to drop the rakers down to 030 or 035. If you don't, when you start cutting, the cut slows down and the wood heats up and pinches the bar. I know alot of people that wont cut hedge because of the amount of bars and chains they go through. They just wont take the time to learn how to sharpen the chain. As far as cooking with it, I dont smoke anything without a little hedge. It makes for some of the best smoked meat you'll ever taste. If you have a chance to give it a try, I would definately recommend it.

Mike:D

Hello all, I smoke a fair amount of meat and have never heard of "hedge" i've smoked with just about every hardwood and fruitwood there is but am always looking for something new. This wood sounds like stuff we have in Ohio called Osage Orange. VERY
hard and tough to saw. I never thought to smoke with it though.
BTW, If you have never used Oak to smoke beef TRY IT!:D

Hi There, I was falling a tree today (White Ash) and while limbing, realized there was a critter in the crown. Good job I was wearing a hardhat!
Anyway, I thought of this post and the smoking you guys have been doing, but wouldnt this one be hard to light up?
John McQuill

Django
You really need to try smoking meat with the osage orange (hedge). I really think you'll be impressed. Makes great lumber too............:blob2: John I have no idea why anyone would want to get that close to something with that many spines! Like I learned when diving in the Phillippines..........dont pet the jelly fish!

Mike:eek:

Hi Mike, I got really close to him and didnt want to hurt him. I saw her earlier last week in a crown where she stayed for 4 days straight. Porcupines have no enemies in the wild, except for Fishers which belong to the Wolverine family. They have to flip them over though, and go for the soft underbelly. I got to within 3 ft. to take the picture and talked gently to her so she knew everything was ok.
John Boy

John:
Those are some great pics. I'll try to get some pics of mine of the underwater porcupines while diving around Mactan Island. Their eaten about the same as their land cousin's, got to flip them over first!

Mike:D

Hi Mike, it is quite amazing, the defense mechanisms that living this have. I hope this picture uploads, Rotax Robert sent it.
P.S there was a post I wanted to reply to about the guy who was hired as a logger after some fallers ruined some good hardwood of a private woodlot owner, does anyone know where it is?
John Boy

Hi John
Thats me you wanted to reply to.I did send you an email but it must have got lost.
Did anyone else ever think about how a porcupine breed,sounds painful.
Dan

Latest posts

Back