Jonsered 910, 920, 930 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jra1100

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK another chance to gain some knowledge from this board. I have been looking at some Jonsered saws, particularly the 900 types. I can't figure out what the difference is between the 910, 920, and the 930. I appears to me that they are all the same saw with different numbers. I am pretty sure that I'm missing something but what? Thanks for any help. JR

The 910 is quite different from the other two - it was one of the last "true" Jonsereds, while the others were "E-lux" Jonsered, with influense from Partner and Husky. The most obvious differense is that the 920 and 930 have Partner type handlebar systems, but they also run at higher rpms.

The easiest way to distinuish a 920 from the later 930 is that the 920 has a single screw on the air filter cower, while the 930 has two, but I believe there are more differenses.

Spike60 really need to join in here.......:blob2: :blob2: :yoyo: :yoyo:

Last edited:
I own a couple of 920's and one 930. Other than the different air filter setup on the 930 it also has a different cylinder than the 920. The transfer port design on the 930 is open like the 910 whereas the 920 has closed transfer ports.

It's crazy how many times that question has been asked without a good answer being given. What someone REALLY needs to do is go buy both and start trying the parts out on one another. I have 2 910s and have the same issue with parts interchange. I ended up just looking for 910 parts and thats it. The saws are getting harder to find and are such good units that its difficult to fathom breaking them up for experimentation.

I'm not sure we have "Old Jonsereds" experience on AS right now (although Saw Troll may be stepping up to the plate?). The go-to guy on that stuff was Mange, but he's spending most of his time on his own website these days. I HAVE talked to him about this issue and he has the same problem with it... he just doesn't own them all for comparison purposes.

Anyone out there got both a 910 and 920/930 that they want to play "jigsaw" with?

Last edited:
..... I'm not sure we have "Old Jonsereds" experience on AS right now (although Saw Troll may be stepping up to the plate?). The go-to guy on that stuff was Mange, but he's spending most of his time on his own website these days. .....

I think "Motorsag", alias George Blake, made a pretty informative post on this issue at that web-site some time ago. He is a member here also, but doesn't post very often..........

The majority of the parts on these saws are interchangable. And most of them are NLA in the price book. They would be better discribed as a saw that went through some updates, rather than completely different models. They all have the same bore and stroke, and I'm prett sure the pistons will interchange. The 910 is an open port cylinder while the 920 is closed. I was surprised that the 930 mentioned has an open port. I wouldn't think that they would have gone back to the open port design. Is there a chance you have a 910 cylinder on yours? The 920 and 930 were both rated at 12,200RPM's and the 910 was 10,500.

Cylinder part #503-081302 is the 920, and #503-081304 is the 930. Both have been NLA for at least 12 years. Keep in mind that there were no Husky versions of these saws, so there is no alternative source for parts.

The 920 had some nice improvements over the 910. They went to a clamp on the intake boot to replace the somewhat silly zip-tie that was on the 910. Also the 910 had very thin paper cylinder gasket that was prone to failure. The better 920/930 gasket works just fine. The coil on the spark plug boot that could cause wire fatigue was also eliminated with the 920.

Parts supply for these things is real hit and miss, as I've said. The best source is to find an old time Jonsered dealer who might still have a few items in stock. The 910 became the 920 around 1982 and I think they made it for 4 or 5 years before the 930 came out. I think the 930 was made up until the 2094 arrived.

I have a 910 and a 920. They both run great, and I'd probably give a slight edge to the 920. Plenty of power, and I think that for 87CC saws, their weight is still competitive today. Plus they have a great sound. I pick up the 910 more often because it's kind of funky, and I spent more time getting it in shape. I guess I need a 930 to complete the collection. My next project is a 2094, so I can compare them to their "replacement", which has better parts availability.

The 910 became the 920 around 1982 and I think they made it for 4 or 5 years before the 930 came out. I think the 930 was made up until the 2094 arrived. ...

I am pretty sure that is true!

I believe that some Husky 288xp parts might fit also, but it is really just a guess........

A bit more here, courtesey of George Blake.... and Saw Troll, actually.....

"--What is the difference between the 910, 920 and 930 ? BIG question with a BIG answer !
Let's start with the 910, which is MOST different than the 920 and 930.
While at first glance the 910 appears to be similar to the 920 and 930, that's about as far as similarities go.Yes the cc's, bore, and stroke is identical on the three models, but there is where the similarrities stop for the 910.

JONSEREDS 910 DIFFERENCES FROM THE 920 AND 930

PISTON
If you look at the 910 piston from the side, it is solid around the sides. the 920 and 930 pistons have openings on either side of the pin bore, not the 910. All 910 pistons used conventional rings. Many 920 and 930 pistons used the "thin" ring consept. Good idea, but thin rings gummed upeasily and the saw would loose compression. Ihave had many 920's and 930's come to me with a loss of compression. I just free up the stuck rings, and send them on their way !

HANDLES AND MOUNTINS
The 910 handles and mountings are in no way similar to that of the 920 and 930.

IGNITION SYSTEM
The 910 ignition systemis entirely different than that of the 920 and 930. The 910 had a SEM module down at the flywheel and the coil was oart of the spark plug connector. This concept was also found on some 451 models.

CLUTCH
The clutch found on the 910 is very different than that found on the 920 and 930. The clutch hub fingers come streight out on the 910 but are curvedon the 920 and 930.

COMPRESSION RELEASE
The 910 has a compression release, the 920 and 930 do not. "

Good work Andre. George Blake actually lives less than an hour from me, and we have met a few times. All of those differences listed are correct. Here are some of the things which do interchange, which may also be of some help. I also have a couple of extra 920 parts saws, and I used some of those parts on my 910. The key word here is "interchange", ie the parts may not be exactly the same, but they will work. Sometimes with slight mods. For instance, the top covers on the 910 and 920 are the same with the exception that the 910 cover has the hole for the top mounted deco.

The clutch side covers look to be the same, but I haven't actually moved them back and forth to confirm it. Even though the 910 handle goes on the inside, and the Partner style handle goes on the outside, they look the same. (I just went downstairs and looked)

Starter covers have some interchangability. The metal covers on the 910 are the same as the metal covers on the early 920's. But something else changed with either the flywheel or the starter pulley when they went to the plastic covers, because I was unable to use a metal cover on my newer 920. But, it could probably be made to work. I didn't need to pursue it, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Intake and exhaust stuff seems to all be interchangable. Mufflers, carbs, intake boot, gaskets and such. These are some of the parts that I would guess would be more popular when getting a saw to go from the project list to the running saw duty roster.:chainsaw:

My experience here is just 910/920, so I don't know how much of this might apply to a 930. Some things I haven't looked into yet are flywheel and clutch differences. Yes the 910 has a different clutch than the 920, but can they be swapped? Beats me!

Either way, anytime you have an opportunity to get a 900 series parts saw, I'd say grab it even if it's not the same model. There is enough stuff that you will be able to use to make it worth while. The same probably applies to the 820/830. After all, parts for these saws are just going to get harder and harder to find.

Well, that's the best example I've heard yet of someone just trying to swap parts (although I'm sure somebody somewhere has done it thoroughly). You even pointed out an additional difficulty which is that, even in the same model, there are differences. For instance, my two 910s are different in small ways (the gas tanks vent in different locations and the breather is different). I haven't even really dug into the nicer of these two saws yet (see the Jonsereds bothers in the pic), but look at the differences in the rear handle. Without looking too hard, I've discovered at least several differences.

BTW, the 910 on the left has been doing active milling duty, although I think I'll be moving soon to a 288 because of parts availability (I've got one almost complete and another coming along slowly). The 910 on the right is in such great shape I actually don't think I have the heart to run it as a daily driver. It's not perfect but it is in nearly miraculous shape. I'm guessing that I'll retire both of them....maybe sell the beater (or fix it up also?) and keep the nice one to justify my existence as a collector.

Maybe the bar/chain, sprocket and spark plug.

LOL, I am pretty sure the 288 was "inspired" by the 87cc Jreds, as were the 181 and 281 by the 81cc ones, and the 288xp appeared at about the same time as the 930 - but I have no clue to how different they really were internally - that would be nice to know..........:monkey:

Wrong

the 910 is no more open port than a 372. It is fed from the bottom and does have a solid piston.

the 920/930 had transfers like stihls do now.

Buck

Buck is right - the 910's are closed ports.

Happy to find this old thread, I've a pristine 910 here that's never, to my knowledge, been opened up. And it's been worked hard over the years but well cared for.

It would benefit from a new piston. Has anyone any experience with taking a 288 piston and cutting back the skirt?

They all have closed transfers - the difference is if the transfers starts in the case (910, and as far as know 930), or at the bottom of the cylinder walls (920).

i know this post is a few years old but i just bought a 920 super. what is the difference between a 920 and 920 super? i have this thread saved in my favorites for all this awesome info on jreds!

Back