Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 670 owner called me about one of my C'list adds looking for an old school Homie firewood saw. We spent near an hour on the phone talkin' old saws. He just retired to a small town north east of St. Joe. Old two story house with electric base board heat. Lookin' to start cutting wood to reduce his electric bill. He offered to bring it along when he visits this week or next.

All, I was rebuilding the carb on the 90 this weekend and was wondering; do you replace the little silver disks that come with the kits?

I don't unless needed.........I usually take the "H&L" needles out and while holding the throttle plate open and looking down the bore, squirt WD (using the red pipe) in each.......the WD should come out two little holes on the low side and out one hole, further back when doing the H side. If that's not what you see then you have to remove one or both and clean the orifices.

All, I was rebuilding the carb on the 90 this weekend and was wondering; do you replace the little silver disks that come with the kits?

I usually leave the little Welsh plugs alone unless they are loose......although there is a screen under one of them. I've never had any trouble that way, but the carbs are always broken down and steeped in those large cans of carburetor parts cleaner within a tray. I take them out, rinse them in hot water and blow dry with compressed air. Do clean and/or replace the one screen that is pushed into a recess. Be sure to set the float lever exactly as Tillotson tells you to. Do NOT put that little copper spring that works the float into any kinda of carb cleaner...it might be eaten and virtually disappear, leaving you scratching your head wondering what happened to it.

Kevin

Given the rarity of the Jonsereds XD model in the states, I coud see a serious Jon$ered$ collector in the US being willing to pay the price. it won't be me, I'm not that serious, don't have the spare $$$, & tracking down extremely rare parts got old a long time ago.

Given the rarity of the Jonsereds XD model in the states, I coud see a serious Jon$ered$ collector in the US being willing to pay the price. it won't be me, I'm not that serious, don't have the spare $$$, & tracking down extremely rare parts got old a long time ago.

I make exceptions for Remington stuff. Scored a NOS Bantam type spur/drum 7/16" x 8 tooth.

I am that serious...........Butt................ pitifully underfunded......LOL!!

Check out the last three pics in the add. That guy has got some nice toys.

Wow yeah...my shoulders hurt just looking at that stuff and the prospect of moving it all around....lol. You need to be a machinist, working with 3D printing, or have the time to search the world for parts like that.

I can't tell you how many estate auctions I've been to that featured truckloads of unfinished projects going for pennies on the dollar. The hard reality of it is that if it's not finished at some point, then it's just your junk. I hope that's not how I end up and at least maybe I can enjoy the stuff that I have. I have too many hobbies and split in too many directions as it is. In hindsight, if I had just picked a couple of hobbies and went with them whole-hog, I'd have been much better off.

Kevin

I make exceptions for Remington stuff. Scored a NOS Bantam type spur/drum 7/16" x 8 tooth.

Carl, I still have a tub full of NOS oddball spur sprockets that apparantly are Herr according to my research. Quite a few of the more common ones went out to AS members in the Christmas giving thread back in 2012, & I still have some pulled for trades that fell through for one reason or another, possibly my oversight. Most have the bearings, some don't, & nearly all will require some sanding/cleaning (they were taken out of their packaging at some point, sat in a closed shop and then in my garage for many years).

If you, or anyone reading this, know the Herr numbers, shoot me a wish list. These will be freebies with y'all covering the postage, or maybe some trades. I can check by the make & model of saw, but the Herr # would be very useful to me, and your research might be more accurate than mine. My main resource listed many saw models, but I know for certain that it didn't list all of the rebadged models sold by other companies.

One thing worth mentioning is most of the ones for Jonsered(s) saws I'm keeping, but I know that many of y'all don't limit your saws to just one brand.

Wow yeah...my shoulders hurt just looking at that stuff and the prospect of moving it all around....lol. You need to be a machinist, working with 3D printing, or have the time to search the world for parts like that.

I can't tell you how many estate auctions I've been to that featured truckloads of unfinished projects going for pennies on the dollar. The hard reality of it is that if it's not finished at some point, then it's just your junk. I hope that's not how I end up and at least maybe I can enjoy the stuff that I have. I have too many hobbies and split in too many directions as it is. In hindsight, if I had just picked a couple of hobbies and went with them whole-hog, I'd have been much better off.

Kevin
Exactly. I'm trying to un-multi-task my hobby list also. If I bump into an interesting Jonsereds at a good price I'll grab it but at the moment, I'm not looking for work. I have enough unfinished Stihls, Mccullochs and Homeys on the shelf. PLUS, my auto projects, four wheelers, woodworking, basement remodel, sawmill orders and a 40 hour a week job that takes 70 hours to complete.

Does anyone know member 'SawGarage'? Since the site was hacked, I get no PM response from him. He has a bucket full of NOS .404 tips for all these old, defunct Oregon bars with the three rivet, half moon pattern. I was all set to get a passel of them from him and the site crashed.

Without those tips, these great old bars are worthless.

Kevin

Does anyone know member 'SawGarage'? Since the site was hacked, I get no PM response from him. He has a bucket full of NOS .404 tips for all these old, defunct Oregon bars with the three rivet, half moon pattern. I was all set to get a passel of them from him and the site crashed.

Without those tips, these great old bars are worthless.

Kevin
Pm sent

Worked as lumberjack in Wyoming. Rigged a scabbard and belt with hook to sling accross sholders so he could carry 1 gallon of fuel and 1 gallon of oil up/down hills.

What size hex wrench in mm. do I need for the cylinder bolts. My long 3/16" is a little too sloppy in 'em and am afraid of just rounding them off.

Cylinder has alum. transfer on the exhaust side wall viewed from the spark plug hole.

No point in doing a comp. check.

Also has some kind of muff. mod.. Deflector is missing.

Back