Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, I'm going to be splitting both of those 90s I have and was wondering if I could still find a gasket kit with oil seals?

Maybe...if you just happened to get lucky and find it listed on the bay. While I was draggin' my feet on whether or not I should buy a 910E, there was an NOS complete gasket set on the bay. When I bought the saw, that DAY the gasket set sold when I went back to buy it. So it goes.....

On some saws, they are making reproduction gasket sets using the original as a template. I have no idea if they are using the proper gasket thickness and if the material is similar. There's not a huge demand for the 90 yet, so you may be stuck with making your own or finding what's still out there. I used to be able to find the 90 jug gasket pretty easy, but don't remember seeing a case gasket for a very long time. Bearing/crank seals are easy to find.

Why are you splitting the cases...are the crank bearings shot?

Kevin

Maybe...if you just happened to get lucky and find it listed on the bay. While I was draggin' my feet on whether or not I should buy a 910E, there was an NOS complete gasket set on the bay. When I bought the saw, that DAY the gasket set sold when I went back to buy it. So it goes.....

On some saws, they are making reproduction gasket sets using the original as a template. I have no idea if they are using the proper gasket thickness and if the material is similar. There's not a huge demand for the 90 yet, so you may be stuck with making your own or finding what's still out there. I used to be able to find the 90 jug gasket pretty easy, but don't remember seeing a case gasket for a very long time. Bearing/crank seals are easy to find.

Why are you splitting the cases...are the crank bearings shot?

Kevin
Both saws have bad case gaskets, one I'm on right now has an air leak, very small but showed up with a little air to it. The other one had a crank full of bar oil and was burnt up. The first one just wouldn't run quite right. Case gaskets don't fail too often, kind of funny to have two of them. I'll probably break out the Karopak and cut two new ones.

Guess you can see how the saw was laying full of mix for a long time, other side isn't bad. This pure saw abuse:
eb0e80b3b69a30c39e5fe3cf167b42b4.jpg

The 90 I picked up from Arkansas had gas in it for yrs....fortunately not very much and it turned to varnish on the bottom. The lacquer thinner and BB treatment I had to do didn't help the paint in there though.:-(

If it were me, I'd remove that peeling paint before I put the halves together or sand/feather it...something, or you'll be dealing with that flaking off forever.

Kevin

bought another 49.
$40 plus shipping

$_57.JPG

Not much is known about it, so I'm assuming the worst. i.e scored piston, rotted tank but it still has quite a few usable parts on it.

That's number 2 in the collection . . . . . . look in the rear view mirror Robin, I'm gaining on ya!!!!! ;)

bought another 49.
$40 plus shipping

View attachment 417504

Not much is known about it, so I'm assuming the worst. i.e scored piston, rotted tank but it still has quite a few usable parts on it.

That's number 2 in the collection . . . . . . look in the rear view mirror Robin, I'm gaining on ya!!!!! ;)

LOL!! You've got a ways to on 49Sps!!!

You may be right but I have sometimes been pleasantly surprised concerning pistons......I picked up two that were in worse condition to look than your latest at but ended up having virtually new pistons...of course it averages out eventually I guess, as I have bought rather nice looking 49s that needed a lot...you just never know. As spike60 (Bob) likes to always likes to remind us........."No matter how beat and picked over a saw looks to be...there still will be useful parts on it"

So true...anymore if you can pick up a donor saw for that, how can you justify 'no'? Since so many parts are NLA on the older saws, this is probably the most viable parts solution. I think I wound up with like four 80 carcases. And as was said, you're always at the brink of pleasant surprise...or not....lol.

Kevin

Decent looking original saw...ridiculously small bar for this saw...lol Full-wrap, but been cut on clutch side like so many.

I'm interested to see how this sells, now that we're out of the winter season. If someone is interested, you need to ask the seller a lot more questions about condition/history, because the price is not cheap starting out. Some hefty dents in the full-wrap. Bottom handle wing was broken off....good luck finding one of those. Hole in flywheel cover screen....looks hungry for AV's I'm betting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-jonsereds-jonsered-chainsaw-80-with-full-wrap-handle

Kevin

Latest posts

Back