Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you've got no air and vacuum leaks, then leaning out the HS so that 3/4 turn out on H and 1 1/4 turn out on L is ideal. I haven't owned that particular saw, but it sounds a bit rich. A bit rich though will never burn up your piston. What ratio are you runnin' for fuel mix?

Sounds like the Dougs are sappin'....that would be late down here, dunno about up there.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin.

32:1 Dino in all my saws. I figured it is still a tad rich. One of these days I should get a tach. It would make things easier as I am tone deaf in a few frequency ranges. Yes, that Doug had been scraped pretty hard on the bottom 20' by a windfall at one point. Serious pitch stream. Fir beatles and needle cast fungus have slowly moved into the area. It was time to come down. A very messy affair though. I looked down at one point and my boot was being covered in what I thought was a puddle of bar oil (figuring the cap had fallen out). I bet I watched a gallon of pitch run out of it in about 30 secs. At least it smelled good.

Thanks Kevin.

32:1 Dino in all my saws. I figured it is still a tad rich. One of these days I should get a tach. It would make things easier as I am tone deaf in a few frequency ranges. Yes, that Doug had been scraped pretty hard on the bottom 20' by a windfall at one point. Serious pitch stream. Fir beatles and needle cast fungus have slowly moved into the area. It was time to come down. A very messy affair though. I looked down at one point and my boot was being covered in what I thought was a puddle of bar oil (figuring the cap had fallen out). I bet I watched a gallon of pitch run out of it in about 30 secs. At least it smelled good.

Wow...that sounds as bad as those Piss Firs(Balsams) I had to take in CO. Some yrs ago I was doing a fencing job and noticed something in a tree that caught my eye. It was the exoskeleton of a boring beetle. That thing was built like a mining driller, with these one-way hooks/barbs all over it so that it couldn't be pulled from a tree like from a bird, I suspect. The trees don't stand a chance against something like that.

I bought a tach once where you had to put a sensor tape on the pulley/flywheel....kinda unhandy for a chainsaw....got stolen anyway. Then I paid some more and got one with a probe. Figure around a $100+ for a point and read tach.

Kevin

Hi
Well as I posted in another thread, I have a Barn Find J/red 49sp
I have replaced the fuel lines. (pick up pipe had actually perished and was in the bottom of the tank) and overhauled the carb.
I now need to find a new stop switch and we are good to go.
I squirted a little fuel into the intake and she fired up first time.
The chain guard on it is a Partner item but hey cant have everything

Hi
I have replaced the fuel lines. (pick up pipe had actually perished and was in the bottom of the tank) and overhauled the carb.

Attachments

• Jonsered 1.jpg
    Jonsered 1.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 20
Hi

The 49SP sold very well, at least in some areas of the US and maybe Canada. The switch shouldn't be difficult to find, and it might even be the same as on other Jonsered models, but I don't know.

The 49SP sold very well, at least in some areas of the US and maybe Canada. The switch shouldn't be difficult to find, and it might even be the same as on other Jonsered models, but I don't know.
Hi Chris

Looks like my problem is solved, I have just been offered a switch for $10 plus postage to UK so should have it up and running

I actually went inside these switches...since they're not really repairable...what the hell. Dirty contact points, but you'll pay the Devil to get it apart and back together where you could trust it on a job. Be better to ultrasonically clean it and then use DeoxIT Gold for the win. Used switches are about all you can find anymore.

Robin loves this saw and has more than anyone else I know...lol Looks like a nice, solid old J'red...best of luck! What chain guard?

Kevin

Just the plastic one while in transit.
I have located a switch here on the forum for $10 plus postage to UK
The original switch cam out in 3 pieces so way beyond compare.
I looked around for alternative switches but could not find anything of the correct diameter plus they were all 2 terminal which would not have been a problem as I would have run a separate wire to earth.

Not a bad saw once you got used to the little things like keeping the bar oil hole CLEAN at all times so that the oil hose doesn't blow off, air filter that lets a lot of dirt in, muffler that comes loose, right side rubber mount separation. Other than that it was highly reliable ;)

The 520/525 used the same choke rod and grommet. 510 had a different part number but I'm fairly certain it's the same thing.

I'm not 100% sure if this is off a 510 or 520 but others may be able to confirm.

100_6506.JPG 100_6507.JPG

Latest posts

Back