Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad saw once you got used to the little things like keeping the bar oil hole CLEAN at all times so that the oil hose doesn't blow off, air filter that lets a lot of dirt in, muffler that comes loose, right side rubber mount separation. Other than that it was highly reliable ;)

Kudos for that classic comment.....

The 80/90...a near perfect saw design unless you leave it out in the sun on a warm/hot day. Then you'll pay the Devil starting it. Remember to park it in the shade, no troubles.

Kevin

Looks like my dad's 535. Is the chain brake attached to the starter side making it a pain to switch the chain?

Brian
Yup. Kind of a bother. Left side loops over a cap screw head so not too awful much.

What length muffler bolt? One is missing. Ice pick indicates it's not broken off. [emoji57]. But, could be stripped. [emoji13]

I've been working on picking this up for awhile. Priced right for me. The old fellow kept pretty good care of it. Runs, oils and cuts well. I need to track a hold down (bolt/knob) for the air filter cover. It has a busted recoil spring that I managed to make operational enough to get it running. Those, I see can still be had. That, and I think the PO has the spike mounted upside down?

P&C are clean. I honestly don't see what is "semi-professional" about this saw at all. It looks and feels solid. Full inspection pending prior to seeing some bush duty.

The Jonsered(s) collection is really taking a foothold.

Jonsereds 49SP (3).JPG Jonsereds 49SP (4).JPG Jonsereds 49SP (1).JPG

I've been working on picking this up for awhile. Priced right for me. The old fellow kept pretty good care of it. Runs, oils and cuts well. I need to track a hold down (bolt/knob) for the air filter cover. It has a busted recoil spring that I managed to make operational enough to get it running. Those, I see can still be had. That, and I think the PO has the spike mounted upside down?

P&C are clean. I honestly don't see what is "semi-professional" about this saw at all. It looks and feels solid. Full inspection pending prior to seeing some bush duty.

The Jonsered(s) collection is really taking a foothold.

View attachment 437613 View attachment 437614 View attachment 437615

Very nice saw! Looks like the cylinder cover may be off of a 52e (black) but those parts get swapped around.

I'm still trying to figure out why some saws had the plastic covering on the front handle and others did not. Here is a pic of the 52e I picked up a few months ago.... the handle is bare aluminum, painted or anodized black.

100_6187.JPG

Its size would make it semi-professional...at best that's a dubious claim . The 70E is more like semi-professional and then into the 80 and beyond for pro saws. You don't have good pic of the dawg, but from what I see it's probably upside down.

Nice lookin' old J'red...not been thrashed and thrown around like so many. One owner J'reds are getting harder and harder to find. If you're offered one, just buy it and save it from a horrible fate. You can always sell it here. Robin doesn't seem to have a limit on 49sp's...lol! Oh and be wary of those recoil springs...there are a lot of BAD aftermarket ones floating around. Go with a known supplier or by price....if it's cheap then it's most likely Chinese or some third-world junk.

Kevin

Very nice saw! Looks like the cylinder cover may be off of a 52e (black) but those parts get swapped around.

I'm still trying to figure out why some saws had the plastic covering on the front handle and others did not. Here is a pic of the 52e I picked up a few months ago.... the handle is bare aluminum, painted or anodized black.

View attachment 437620

We talked about this in here before. It was kind of a nefarious netherworld that put handles on these saws intended for NA. PNW demanded the full-wraps and so contractors were contracted to fit saws with full-wraps. And we suspect there were many, hence the variations. Even in some of the J'red literature, the handles shown don't jive with what was sold over here. It would take a couple of old J'red reps still living to maybe explain this to us, once & for all.

We also figure that black is not really anodized and not really paint....we're not sure what that process is either...lol

Kevin

View attachment 437620

I'll try to explain the Semi Pro thing....as I understand it.....displacement is not the issue....it's the build......the 49SP was developed from the 52/52E series which was the 49cc pro series saws. The 52 having more in common with the 49sp than the 52E as it had a points ign......however it has a very robust generator coil and points plate sharing parts with the 621, 80, 90 and even 111S.....the 49sp has a wimpy, simple ign compared to the others. The 52/52E/521E all have the same P&C...a closed port cyl with a two ring high dome piston...with thrust washers on the wristpin... The 49 is open port, single ring piston, no thrust washers.
The 49SP was a price point saw for the farmer/firewooder etc. I mean, lightened, cheapened, in every way possible from the 52 series but still using the same cases, covers, handles etc...except the 49 has always had a wide plastic bottom on the trigger handle and the early 52 series had two piece metal bottoms like the 621 and 80 etc.......the one that always made me laugh the most was, if you remove the clutch cover on a 52 series...on the very back lower corner there is a little rectangle of rubber installed in a rectangle hole cast in the cover......it's a bumper and keeps the cover from vibrating against the case.......the 49sp lost the rubber bit.....other than that the covers are identical. What a savings!!! Probably cost mote to have two part #s than to have the rubber!!!

Now the handle thing is time related.......yours is a very late 52E....two things tell me that....the top handle being smooth black metal and the lower trigger handle which was adopted from the 49sp late in the 52 run. The later 49SP also got the smooth top handle too as did the 521E which is where I think it came from in the first place....better to conduct heat to your hands......
So what it boils down to is the 52 series were designed and built just as rugged and in the same manner as the 621, 80 and 90.....all just different sized pro saws for different sized trees/forest work...professionally.

When I bought my first 49SP in 1977...it cost me $249.95.....the 52 cost $274.95...the 52E cost $299.95...the 621 cost $350.00......Gawd.. I so wanted the 621.....but ...alas....my poor pocket could only afford the lowly 49SP......which, I might add was $75.00 more than a Mac 10-10 cost new at the time.... I never regretted my choice....that little saw put food on the table for three winters and then did service around my sawmill for several years...professionally..... and put up 28 cord of firewood a year for the farmhouse and my housefor 7-8 years...I wore it completely out by 1994 or so......to cheep to toss an old friend......and after I joined up here found the bits and knowledge to split the cases and build it fresh...runs super again now....ported too....

49 SP and 70E Build 175.jpg

I guess it all depends on what side of the fence you're sitting on. A 'pro' saw to me is a rugged built saw 80cc or higher. The term 'semi-pro' has been bandied about so that it really doesn't mean anything except to the various manufacturers. Obviously in light forestry work, fire fighting and maybe even for the landing, you could get by with a rugged built saw under 80cc. Back in the the day the 621 might have filled that perfectly, almost any of the silver tops, or the 510.....something along those lines. For example, the 70E was used a lot around here for serious firewood and sometimes as a 'semi-pro' saw. I'm not sure its durability was always up to the task, but its displacement was.

What Robin is saying though is from the perspective of J'red and how they viewed their saw models.

Kevin

I guess it all depends on what side of the fence you're sitting on. A 'pro' saw to me is a rugged built saw 80cc or higher. The term 'semi-pro' has been bandied about so that it really doesn't mean anything except to the various manufacturers. Obviously in light forestry work, fire fighting and maybe even for the landing, you could get by with a rugged built saw under 80cc. Back in the the day the 621 might have filled that perfectly, almost any of the silver tops, or the 510.....something along those lines. For example, the 70E was used a lot around here for serious firewood and sometimes as a 'semi-pro' saw. I'm not sure its durability was always up to the task, but its displacement was.

What Robin is saying though is from the perspective of J'red and how they viewed their saw models.

Kevin

That's a PNW perspective Kevin...you guys need large saw motors and long bars......you would have little use for a saw less then 80cc.....much of the rest of the world doesn't need an 80cc saw.......the trees are not that big so the saws don't need to that large either. In most of Maine a 20" bar is considered a large/long bar...many full time pro cutters run 16-18" bars on a 60+cc saw...no need for a longer bar and larger saw motor....just extra weight to throw around limbing and a longer bar is a lot more dangerous in a thick brush pile. But that is not to say the smaller saws are necessarily or need be of an inferior build. The old Jonsereds company ( before most of the 4XX and 5XX series) considered practically all their saws Professional saws....if they didn't it was either obvious (like a Lil' Jon) or they said so...hence the 49SP.....built on a professional series platform to be able to do a full days work but reduced slightly in power and longevity to appeal to a semi professional market but not to be confused with a light duty homeowner special like a Craftsman or Poulan etc.

After 1987 did everything move over to the Husqvarna plants? I can't remember where the 920/930 series were built.
Yes, the Swedish production of both Partner and Jonsered saws were moved to the Husky factory in 1987. The 600 series had been made at the Husky factory from the outset in 1982 though.

That's a PNW perspective Kevin...you guys need large saw motors and long bars......you would have little use for a saw less then 80cc.....much of the rest of the world doesn't need an 80cc saw.......the trees are not that big so the saws don't need to that large either. In most of Maine a 20" bar is considered a large/long bar...many full time pro cutters run 16-18" bars on a 60+cc saw...no need for a longer bar and larger saw motor....just extra weight to throw around limbing and a longer bar is a lot more dangerous in a thick brush pile. But that is not to say the smaller saws are necessarily or need be of an inferior build. The old Jonsereds company ( before most of the 4XX and 5XX series) considered practically all their saws Professional saws....if they didn't it was either obvious (like a Lil' Jon) or they said so...hence the 49SP.....built on a professional series platform to be able to do a full days work but reduced slightly in power and longevity to appeal to a semi professional market but not to be confused with a light duty homeowner special like a Craftsman or Poulan etc.

I can certainly see that. But my point was that a pro saw should be a saw that can see continuous duty all day, everyday, week after week. When the term semi-pro came out, it was expected that those saws were on a platform similar to the pro saws, but could handle hard use with smaller cc ratings. The original silver tops were saws easily up to the task. They were just saws with smaller cc's, but tough as an old boot. There were quite a few Huskies under the 394 that were up to the task, as well. But like a lot of terms, 'semi-pro' started to appear on a lot of homeowner saws. No consumer watchdog people seem to call them on it. It's kind of a vague term anyway and so they still get away with it. These days when someone says 'semi-pro', I'm a little dubious until I know more about how the saw is built.

Kevin

After 1987 did everything move over to the Husqvarna plants? I can't remember where the 920/930 series were built.

The 910 around '79, last true J'red but built at the Partner assembly line. About '82 for the 920 still at the Partner plant and about '86/'87 for the 930. Since the 930 was more influenced by Husky, sawtroll would have to tell ya if it was made over at the Husky plant. The yrs suggest that the 930 would have been at the Husky plant.

Kevin

I can certainly see that. But my point was that a pro saw should be a saw that can see continuous duty all day, everyday, week after week. When the term semi-pro came out, it was expected that those saws were on a platform similar to the pro saws, but could handle hard use with smaller cc ratings. The original silver tops were saws easily up to the task. They were just saws with smaller cc's, but tough as an old boot. There were quite a few Huskies under the 394 that were up to the task, as well. But like a lot of terms, 'semi-pro' started to appear on a lot of homeowner saws. No consumer watchdog people seem to call them on it. It's kind of a vague term anyway and so they still get away with it. These days when someone says 'semi-pro', I'm a little dubious until I know more about how the saw is built.

Kevin

Exactly Kevin......a professional grade saw should be expected to work as long as the human can......6hrs...8hrs...12hrs no matter...for a long time..what I was pointing out is that the cc of the saw should be more or less matched to the work expected of it...and smaller cc saws are not necessarily of a less then pro build. The "semi pro' label started with the 49sp as far as I know.......don't ever remember that label being said before that ....no matter the brand....but later came the 510, 520, 530, 535.........all referred to as semi pro........they...in no way ever measured up to the lowly 49 Semi Pro.....if anyone questions that statement, go on ebay.......count how many still running 49SPs are for sale.........then search how many of the 4XX and 5XX series saws are for sale........I know ...I watch.......the average is about 7-8 to one......I canned Jonsereds when they came out with those saws....all the dealers closed around here just after they came out......couldn't do the repairs fast enough...no parts....when my 49 gave it up my next saw was a Husky.....I only gave Jonsered space after I joined here....and realized the name kinda lives on but the saws are still good.......but I favor the older, true Jonsereds.....and I use them.....

Latest posts

Back