Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When he said 'seals' I took it to mean crankcase seals...maybe I jumped the gun on that? If you've got an ultrasonic cleaner use that on the carb. That passageway/screen under the small Welsh plug is the one where the screen clogs most often. They give you that in a full rebuild kit.

Kevin

When he said 'seals' I took it to mean crankcase seals...maybe I jumped the gun on that? In the f you've got an ultrasonic cleaner use that on the carb. That passageway/screen under the small Welsh plug is the one where the screen clogs most often. They give you that in a full rebuild kit.

Kevin

Guess I jumped the gun, Kevin....reading back through his post I see now that he said he was doing the seals and the O-rings AND he said he already did a carb kit....sorry my bad...

To the OP....Kevin's suggestion to check the low speed circuit in the carb is a good one...when I do a carb kit/clean on an HS I always check both H&L circuits by pulling the needles and inserting the red pipe on a can of WD 40 and while holding the throttle plate open and looking down the bore give her a squirt....WS should squirt out the main nozzle on the high side freely......L side there are two orifices......one inside where the throttle plate rests at idle and one outside (toward the engine)...these are both fed by the L jet and WD should squirt from both equally....if one or both are clogged you might be able to get it with an UC....but if not you'll have pull that welch plug. One other thing to check is your impulse line for a good tight fit on both the carb end and on the cyl end or any pin holes.....

Thanks fellows.

I did pull the saw down last night. No ultrasonic bath but I have been soaking in jar of Seafoam over night and will give the jar a few minutes agitation with orbital sander (best I can do). I will report back after I blow out the passages again and/or pull the plugs. Pressure and vaccum test after I round up some fittings etc.

I didn't see a seal carrier on the flywheel side. Nor, an O-ring. The screw bosses appear to be as in the IPL. Design change?

Cory

Thanks fellows.

I did pull the saw down last night. No ultrasonic bath but I have been soaking in jar of Seafoam over night and will give the jar a few minutes agitation with orbital sander (best I can do). I will report back after I blow out the passages again and/or pull the plugs. Pressure and vaccum test after I round up some fittings etc.

I didn't see a seal carrier on the flywheel side. Nor, an O-ring. The screw bosses appear to be as in the IPL. Design change?

Cory

Yes...yours must be a later version with the one piece ign.....case change on that side...seal goes in the case eliminating one possible leak....don't forget the WD 40 trick...or use carb cleaner...what ever...as long as it has a tube to stick in where the needles go... but you'll be able to see what the idle jets are doing...can't see air......good luck...

Man, I must be desperate....pulled the trigger on another 'Make Offer" 910 AF. The guy has two for the same price, but one looks really bad....bad as in he should just throw it away. The other I bought has one tear. Over on the 'other' site, when I was bemoaning the fact that there ought to be a layman's way to flock filters.....someone suggested a member who has done it. I flocked stuff in woodworking shop, so I know it can be done. I'm gonna talk to that member and see what he's done. If it works out, I'll report back on how to do it.

All my 80 filters are flocked....probably contributed a lot to its 35+yr longevity. I've seen flocked 2100 Husky filters on eBay, but the price made me run from the room!

Kevin

Man, I must be desperate....pulled the trigger on another 'Make Offer" 910 AF. The guy has two for the same price, but one looks really bad....bad as in he should just throw it away. The other I bought has one tear. Over on the 'other' site, when I was bemoaning the fact that there ought to be a layman's way to flock filters.....someone suggested a member who has done it. I flocked stuff in woodworking shop, so I know it can be done. I'm gonna talk to that member and see what he's done. If it works out, I'll report back on how to do it.

All my 80 filters are flocked....probably contributed a lot to its 35+yr longevity. I've seen flocked 2100 Husky filters on eBay, but the price made me run from the room!

Kevin
As do the flocked 80/621 filters on ebay!!!!!!

Well...I think we have made some progress on the 625. Mityvac found a pressure leak on the intake boot around the clamp. It was leaking down from 10psi. I tightened the clamp and it sealed up. Held pressure and vacuum at 10psi after that. Seals are sound.

I can't say if the 24hr soak in Seafoam in my redneck subsonic bath did anything, but it does start noticeably easier and seems to run off load better than before. The test cuts will have to wait until I hit the hills again. Perhaps the L circuit was plugged a bit and I rattled whatever was in there out?

Well...I think we have made some progress on the 625. Mityvac found a pressure leak on the intake boot around the clamp. It was leaking down from 10psi. I tightened the clamp and it sealed up. Held pressure and vacuum at 10psi after that. Seals are sound.

I can't say if the 24hr soak in Seafoam in my redneck subsonic bath did anything, but it does start noticeably easier and seems to run off load better than before. The test cuts will have to wait until I hit the hills again. Perhaps the L circuit was plugged a bit and I rattled whatever was in there out?

What hs carb is it Cory? I may have one here! I could add it to the other stuff for you. Send me a pm on here because it is easier for me here instead of SH.

As do the flocked 80/621 filters on ebay!!!!!!

Yeah...I will say that I have a decent supply of 100% flocked 80 filters......I even have them graded. Even me....it would have to be one hell of a deal to buy anymore...lol. Hopefully, they will outlast my old bones.

I played around with that one seller for a long time on his NOS flocked 80 AF's. As soon as he dropped the price $5, I bought...lol

I don't get excited about nylon mesh filters...I have two for each saw except the 80. I should have pounced on those Husky 2100 flocked filters before they they became gold bullion!!

Kevin

Hey J'red crew!

What would be a fair price to ask for a perfect condition 630 Cylinder, Piston, carb, and intake setup?

This one is very nice and the machine marks are still visible on the piston, as it was a homeowner saw (friend of the family).

That L spd circuit will do that...exactly those symptoms. But so will the carb boot if it's leaking and a leaky impulse line. As important as those boots are, I don't understand why so many of the manufacturers had such a Bozo clamp on there. The old school way of screwing the intake manifold to the jug and then the carb to the intake manifold was almost foolproof. For carbs with boots, I use the CV clamps at NAPA(they have a box selection). The tool I bought for those was around $20 and I use it a lot.

Kevin

Hey J'red crew!

What would be a fair price to ask for a perfect condition 630 Cylinder, Piston, carb, and intake setup?

This one is very nice and the machine marks are still visible on the piston, as it was a homeowner saw (friend of the family).

It's really a matter of demand and what's out there still. Taking a shot, the carb is worth about $35, Jug, slug and intake if used but pristine, maybe a $100 tops(but I wouldn't pay that...call it eBay pricing). It's really hard to show condition on jugs with a phone camera on eBay or elsewhere. A lot of it involves an element of trust from an 'honest' description.

Kevin

Paint the top and side covers black and it will be better overall, like a shindaiwa?

Either way, glad you got it fixed and serviceable!

Hey J'red crew!

Yeah that's a difficult call to make.....due to the fact there a few different carbs used over the years.....some more desirable than others.......same with piston/ring set ups.....some more desirable than others......if you can post the serial numbers and any other info, like Super. Super II etc. can probably get a better idea of what you could expect to get for it.........good clear pics would help too.....

Painting plastics is tough...especially with gas fumes/liquid around the repaint. Even on the mag surfaces, I've not seen anything super durable like the baked on factory paint. Some guys even use clear coat over the paint to hedge their bet. That's a lot of work for a saw.

"Jonsavarna"...like that! Even rolls off the tongue like it's real. I'd just use it like it is. Any rattle can repainting will be temporary anyway. You could buy auto paint made for plastics/Fiberglas, but it would cost as much as the saw.

Kevin

I ran the 625 again today. Still need to dial the carb in. It is better, but finicky. My ears are just not used to picking up the subtlties in higher reving saws. And, it may just be me needing to learn how to come off the throttle with this machine a bit smoother. Here is a self indulgent quick video after some tinkering today. I managed to get the absolute last sharpening out of this PO's chain. Wasn't tossing the big chips, but it managed.

http://vid26.photobucket.com/albums/c104/Hoggwood/Jonsered 625 July 17 2015 DFir_zpscviaa3z8.mp4

Regardless, it helped bring home one really sticky D.Fir. today. I think this one will need to bleed out until the fall - lol.

July 17 2015 Cutting (1) 1.jpg

If you've got no air and vacuum leaks, then leaning out the HS so that 3/4 turn out on H and 1 1/4 turn out on L is ideal. I haven't owned that particular saw, but it sounds a bit rich. A bit rich though will never burn up your piston. What ratio are you runnin' for fuel mix?

Sounds like the Dougs are sappin'....that would be late down here, dunno about up there.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back