Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you switch to a 'standard' FF, or figure out a replacement for the felt?
Yes, seems like the white molded/sintered Husky filter or the orange Stihl filter will cover most needs. There are a few that need the tiny one like the stihl one but black and very small hose barbed end. I mostly use the white husky style because it fits tubing.

Brian

oh wait . . . . her
Damn........on that find!! And yeah, stole them too.....

Ya know I have a couple of these in a wood's box, but always assumed they were for the Husky tank vent on the 2100. Now that I see those new, I'd better make sure they aren't some J'reds I picked up back in the 80's.

Kevin

I worked on a couple early homelite saws that had the same felt design. I think they were the EZ series. You can usually find NOS homelite stock so I wonder if they'd fit Jonsereds.

Hmmm...never seen that happen, even with old, old felt. I wouldn't think it possible/probable for the felt fibers to get through the sintered bronze filter element? I have seen the tank liner disintegrate and cause all kinda problems though. Ergo, I've cleaned a lot of junk off the outside of the felt, however.

Kevin

Oh I have......definitely......my original 49sp happened to it twice in the entire life if the saw. Since I have "many 49SP parts saws" I have seen it in the extreme...on a burnt up/blown up saw that came to me had a rounded over chain and the final filter in the carb was so plugged with filter fuzz that when I dug it out it expaned to over a half inch tall....really... but once understood easy enough to check on at every maintenance......pull the top cover on the carb...no need to remove the carb.....

Oh I have......definitely......my original 49sp happened to it twice in the entire life if the saw. Since I have "many 49SP parts saws" I have seen it in the extreme...on a burnt up/blown up saw that came to me had a rounded over chain and the final filter in the carb was so plugged with filter fuzz that when I dug it out it expaned to over a half inch tall....really... but once understood easy enough to check on at every maintenance......pull the top cover on the carb...no need to remove the carb.....

I'll take you at your word, because you've been inside more J'reds and different models than I probably ever will. I've been inside(to rebuild) maybe 15 J'red carbs and maybe 40 Tilly HS carbs total....including rebuilds for friends. I've seen lots of weird stuff in there, but never any felt fuzz. I take the top cover off the carb to look maybe twice a season. But I'm also fastidious about cleaning out the tank itself. It's easy when you're pressed for time and working these saws hard to get at least sawdust in there. I'd clean out the gas & oil tank once a week loggin'....probably on Sat.

Kevin

oh wait . . . . her

I worked on a couple early homelite saws that had the same felt design. I think they were the EZ series. You can usually find NOS homelite stock so I wonder if they'd fit Jonsereds.

Dean, since you have all those new ones...when you get a chance, could you mic the ID and OD of those things?? I know they aren't perfectly round free-form like that, but you should get a good idea what they are supposed to be.

Kevin

Dean, since you have all those new ones...when you get a chance, could you mic the ID and OD of those things?? I know they aren't perfectly round free-form like that, but you should get a good idea what they are supposed to be.

Kevin

No problem Kev.

Took a look at the Homie filters and they don't look the same. They're not any cheaper on ebay anyway, most run from 6 to 10 bucks a felt. Plus the shipping.

That's because.......well........we're Jonsereds guys......always been a cut above the arguing rabble.

If they'd used THAT tagline instead of "The modern Swede saw" maybe they wouldn't have needed any help from Electrolux.

Jonsereds - Always a cut above the arguing rabble.

Someone needs to photoshop that on a jonsereds sign.

Hi fellas.

I am just looking at putting a 630 together now that a new piston showed up. I used thin card stock to best measure the end gap of the ring at 0.007. We are approx. 3.7 thousandth/". Safe to run at that? I don't know if there is a definitive rule-of-thumb on gap/inch of bore.

It will be a bit of a hybrid with parts from a 630/625/61 and 65 as well as some new goodies.

Thanks guys.

Hi fellas.

I am just looking at putting a 630 together now that a new piston showed up. I used thin card stock to best measure the end gap of the ring at 0.007. We are approx. 3.7 thousandth/". Safe to run at that? I don't know if there is a definitive rule-of-thumb on gap/inch of bore.

It will be a bit of a hybrid with parts from a 630/625/61 and 65 as well as some new goodies.

Thanks guys.

The rule of thumb on most saws(not getting into race saws) is .0025-.0030" of end gap/inch of bore.

Kevin

I would totally agree with that. I haven't been in all the 'brand' threads, but the Husky thread can get especially nasty at times with a tendency to run very clannish....so can the Mac threads. And very true about the know-it-alls....I watch what they have to say about saws that were made when they were babies or not even born yet. Their knowledge of the old saws has only come in the last 15 or so yrs and it's all by definition second hand, since they didn't work them new.

What that does is almost completely stifle the passage of valid information.....just thankfully doesn't happen here.

Kevin

I agree. I was born in 1978 when the real Jonsereds was winding down, so I have no first hand knowledge. I have always had an interest in anything older. Tractors, pickups, cars, saws, hand tools, snowmobiles and many other things. I have always liked to research and look at different models and compare them, see the changes along the way. The first saw I ran was my dad's McCulloch Super 44 when I was 13. The first Jonsered I ever ran was a 670 (I think or maybe 630. My uncle had several of each) when I was about 14 or 15. Compared the the Mac, that saw was amazing and I fell in love with Jred. The first Jonsereds I ran was when I was 15 and working part time for the cemetery commission here in East Corinth. I think it was a 52E but I'm not sure. The Commisioner who bought the saw new and his son who was my age always called it the "51E". All the decals were gone and I never gave it much thought. When I started buying a few saws I wanted a "51E" but they never came up for sale. I got a 52E and a 51. I did a lot of research and even asked the owner if it was a 51E. He said it was and I kept looking. Long story short, not all first hand knowledge is correct. I listen to all information, discard the obviously incorrect and BS, and try to file the new valid info away in my head. I learn new things all the time (like the 49SP fuel line thing the other day). Nobody knows it all, young or old, and it's nice to come in here and have a group of people who realize that. I have received some nasty PM's when I proved some "authorities" wrong on Husqvarna and McCulloch info, so I don't even bother anymore. It is nice to be thought of as young somewhere though. I was talking with my niece the other day and I mentioned Johnny Cash. Her response was, "Who's Johnny Cash?".

I agree. I was born in 1978 when the real Jonsereds was winding down, so I have no first hand knowledge. I have always had an interest in anything older. Tractors, pickups, cars, saws, hand tools, snowmobiles and many other things. I have always liked to research and look at different models and compare them, see the changes along the way. The first saw I ran was my dad's McCulloch Super 44 when I was 13. The first Jonsered I ever ran was a 670 (I think or maybe 630. My uncle had several of each) when I was about 14 or 15. Compared the the Mac, that saw was amazing and I fell in love with Jred. The first Jonsereds I ran was when I was 15 and working part time for the cemetery commission here in East Corinth. I think it was a 52E but I'm not sure. The Commisioner who bought the saw new and his son who was my age always called it the "51E". All the decals were gone and I never gave it much thought. When I started buying a few saws I wanted a "51E" but they never came up for sale. I got a 52E and a 51. I did a lot of research and even asked the owner if it was a 51E. He said it was and I kept looking. Long story short, not all first hand knowledge is correct. I listen to all information, discard the obviously incorrect and BS, and try to file the new valid info away in my head. I learn new things all the time (like the 49SP fuel line thing the other day). Nobody knows it all, young or old, and it's nice to come in here and have a group of people who realize that. I have received some nasty PM's when I proved some "authorities" wrong on Husqvarna and McCulloch info, so I don't even bother anymore. It is nice to be thought of as young somewhere though. I was talking with my niece the other day and I mentioned Johnny Cash. Her response was, "Who's Johnny Cash?".

Great story! You 'younger' dudes have the energy and passion to trace all this stuff down...plus you listen to the older guys with firsthand experience......which as you say, is not always accurate. I remember what is was like to try and track down all information about something I was really passionate about. Lol...ask millennials who Kevin Costner is.

There's an 'expert' in one of these forums on dating the rise and fall of the Husky 2100/2101. I told him once that the west coast rep for Husky told us back in the day, that the 'XP' designation started as saws with a hotter ignition for PNW conditions, as the saws with XP modules had different part's #'s. This 'expert' spoiling for a fight, told me that chainsaw reps were the biggest liars and most despicable people on earth. What's a comeback for somebody like that who is just certain he knows it all?

Because of the lack of early factory records that didn't seem to survive the Electrolux takeover, there are HUGE gaps of knowledge in what we know for sure about the early Jonsereds. In a way it's kinda of exciting as we put all the puzzle pieces back together and bounce ideas off of each other. Like I said, I haven't been in all the 'brand' threads, but I've not seen another one like this in the forums. Just the right bunch of guys and it clicks.

You gotta cut us old guys some slack though, because we had no Internet back in the day. What we knew was pretty limited geographically and what information was out there came from saw shops and chainsaw mags. I never saw a chainsaw mag....I would have been all over that with subscriptions if I had ever heard about them. If we wanted information above and beyond what was local, we went down to a library and tried to find more. Pretty Neanderthal if you think about it in today's terms. Working around various loggin' shows in OR & WA I learned a lot about the Husky 2100......but it wasn't always accurate as I've come to learn from talking to people all over NA. and even Europe. I know about the saw from a PNW perspective, but they were used everywhere, even in Africa and down-under.

I came into J'reds 'late'...'79 or so...lol. I had no idea about their line or other models other than the 80. And I blame the saw shop for that because if he had told me about the 90, I would have had one then. Although as I stated previously, I was given a 910E to use in the woods instead of my 80. Other than the power to weight ratio, it didn't trump my 80 to the point where I wanted to run down and buy one. Now if the 80 had blown a jug, probably. I really like now having the ability to play with all these models in the woods and my work. I'm just lacking the time to get them all running at once...lol. Once my grandson gets to the point where he can safely occupy himself, I hope to be back in the fray!

Kevin

Well I've always been a Jonsereds guy.....first saw Jonsereds I ever ran was a way worn 80...this would have been 1976.......and it is actually mine today.....a late friends saw.....he was a big truck mechanic of the first degree....someday I'll get to restoring it in Cliff's memory.....but the thing is....Cliff never knew the saw when it was new... or even middle aged...it was a beat loggers saw when he got it. Being a mechanic by trade he enjoyed getting more out of something that the previous owner considered done.......the badly mangled muffler has pop rivited patches front and rear. Cliff always cut four truck loads of four foot pulp every weekend to relax.....by truck load I'm talking 8 cord......so 16 cord a day for Sat and Sun......32 cord of four foot pulp stacked roadside...to relax on the weekend....every weekend...he loved cutting wood......it was funny after I bought my 49sp my sawmill partner and I cut with Cliff a lot.....to listen to the tonal difference between the 80...the 49....and a Mac 10-10 was awesome....the 80 and the 49 had a somewhat vague similar note but that Mac was way off key!!!!

Lol....and you get the stories for free!!!

Nobody has bit on this yet....three days to go. I still think his reserve is too high to get excited about this saw. I think if he had started lower, he would get at least what his reserve is now. Kinda hard to attract frenzied bidding when you start that high.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsereds-910E-chainsaw

Kevin

Robin, it's great that you wound up with the actual Jred that you first ran :clap:, and that it belonged to a good friend.

When my father passed away I inherited his tools and found the first chainsaw that I ever ran. The not-so-great news is he partially disassembled it (I think that I found all of the parts), and it's a Mini Mac (110, IIRC).

Yeah, that's a great story about his friend Cliff and winding up with his saw after he passed. My first J'red I still use at work/woods....some 35+yrs after I bought it and it had been completely gone through at that point. I was skeptical buying a 'used' saw...I shouldn't have been, with a silver top!

That's cool about your dad's saw.

Kevin

Does anyone know anything about jonsereds 45e saws? I picked this saw up off of ebay several years ago. It was listed as a non running parts saw. It looked complete and I thought it would be cool to have a little jonsereds for around the yard. It showed up with a scored cylinder. I have done just enough research online to find out that parts and info are both pretty scarce on this saw. So I threw it on the shelf until a few weeks back I stumbled on it while looking for something else. Any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth pulling the cylinder and seeing if it will clean up? Is there piston and rings available for this saw? How about bearings and seals? I don't like going through the top end without giving the bottom end some attention. What do you guys think? Where these a nice little saw or make a better boat anchor?

jonsereds 45-1.jpg

jonsereds 45-2.jpg

Does anyone know anything about jonsereds 45e saws? I picked this saw up off of ebay several years ago. It was listed as a non running parts saw. It looked complete and I thought it would be cool to have a little jonsereds for around the yard. It showed up with a scored cylinder. I have done just enough research online to find out that parts and info are both pretty scarce on this saw. So I threw it on the shelf until a few weeks back I stumbled on it while looking for something else. Any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth pulling the cylinder and seeing if it will clean up? Is there piston and rings available for this saw? How about bearings and seals? I don't like going through the top end without giving the bottom end some attention. What do you guys think? Where these a nice little saw or make a better boat anchor?

View attachment 487393

View attachment 487394

I have no idea, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one to "find" saws that were bought, put aside for some reason, & forgotten.

---------------------------------------------

I don't understand folks who pull really dirty saws out of sheds or barns, and don't put any effort into making them presentable. Not spotless mind you, just presentable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONSERED-67...ash=item28127d8d35:g:fe8AAOSwPc9Wx~SW&vxp=mtr

Latest posts

Back