Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one to "find" saws that were bought, put aside for some reason, & forgotten.

---------------------------------------------

I don't understand folks who pull really dirty saws out of sheds or barns, and don't put any effort into making them presentable. Not spotless mind you, just presentable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONSERED-67...ash=item28127d8d35:g:fe8AAOSwPc9Wx~SW&vxp=mtr

I'm good for it. I just found a brand new carlton 24" bar that I have never owned a saw it fits. No clue why I bought it in the first place. Anyone need a carlton 24-01w-a184-ps? 24" 3/8x .050x84dl. Fits some older Jonsereds.

I think Eric can offer more/deeper info on the 45E than me......I can give you some basics......44cc 42mm bore...of the 45/450/451 and 452 family of saws...parts like for all older Jonsereds are NLA unless you happen on them on ebay or an old dealer that happens to have some stock still stashed away somewhere...bears and seal can be sourced from a good bearing house and rings can be found aftermarket but pistons and ign. parts will be the major problem....

I bought this saw as a runner and when I went to pickup the saw the owner started it. It seemed to run ok but possibly needed some carb attention so it followed me home.
This is a 49sp and I took the top off of it today to get a look at the carb;

IMG_2076.jpg

WOW!! the choke butterfly is even coated with sawdust. I think I may have to stand it on the handle and hose it down with brake cleaner. :nofunny:

It's got 1 bid so far....not that bad a price considering the lightly used 36" Winsor B&C gotta be worth $100 at the very least....1 owner...manual etc....I'd be tempted if I didn't already have real a nice 910 and several parts saws and boxes of NOS parts......

Yeah, I believe it is as he said;bought for a large tree project, used a few times after that and just put away. It sure has that look about it and those kinda finds are harder and harder to find on the old J'reds. I would think the saw would go over $400 to a collector in that condition. Too rich for me with one tore down and another in a box worth of parts. I'm still savin' for the Husky 394 that I was supposed to have Xmas...lol.

Kevin

Well, I mostly have the 1982 hybrid 630 together. I had to pull a handlebar off of another runner. Still need a choke lever, handlebar and decent sprocket. Not much $ into it except for new parts. What the heck, it was my first full breakdown and rebuild. If the ignition holds up, the saw should have lots of life left in it now.

It received new bearings, piston, av buffers, filter/line, switch and seals. Crank from a decent 61, covers from other versions, pump from a 61 and clutch from a 65. Whipped up a quick spike and threw a bar and chain on it.

Jonsereds 630 - Rebuild 6.jpg Jonsereds 630 - Rebuild 3.jpg Jonsereds 630 - Rebuild 5.jpg Jonsereds 630 - Rebuild 1.jpg Jonsereds 630 - Rebuild 2.jpg

I think Eric can offer more/deeper info on the 45E than me......I can give you some basics......44cc 42mm bore...of the 45/450/451 and 452 family of saws...parts like for all older Jonsereds are NLA unless you happen on them on ebay or an old dealer that happens to have some stock still stashed away somewhere...bears and seal can be sourced from a good bearing house and rings can be found aftermarket but pistons and ign. parts will be the major problem....

Thank you cantdog. I really appreciate your jonsereds knowledge. And your willingness to share it. Any idea if a 450,451 or 452 piston will work in the 45?

I can't say for certain but I believe the piston for the 451 and 45 are the same.....the 450 is a the same size but the 450/455 are clamshell motors and are most likely different.....they do have different part #s but that may only be a numbering change...as I said I only experience with the 451E/EV model.....the 452 ...I don't think I've ever seen one.

Well, I mostly have the 1982 hybrid 630 together. I had to pull a handlebar off of another runner. Still need a choke lever, handlebar and decent sprocket. Not much $ into it except for new parts. What the heck, it was my first full breakdown and rebuild. If the ignition holds up, the saw should have lots of life left in it now.

It received new bearings, piston, av buffers, filter/line, switch and seals. Crank from a decent 61, covers from other versions, pump from a 61 and clutch from a 65. Whipped up a quick spike and threw a bar and chain on it.

View attachment 487469 View attachment 487472 View attachment 487473 View attachment 487474 View attachment 487475
Good job!!

I think the 45E and 451E share a piston and cylinder. I've never seen an IPL for the 45E, but the casting code is the same. It's a different design than any of the other Jonsereds of the time. The carb cover is part of the rear handle and the a/v mounts go between the cover and the case. The 451E was the updated version and has the more familiar Jonsereds rear handle set-up. As Robin said, the 450 shares the bore and stroke, but that's probably it.

WOW!! the choke butterfly is even coated with sawdust. I think I may have to stand it on the handle and hose it down with brake cleaner. :nofunny:

That's pretty common for any old Jonsereds with a screen filter....saws dustcaked on all the intake parts.....you'll find if you pull the crank seals the inside of them an the bearing sides will be packed with black ooze.....as much of an issue as it may seem to be to us, it doesn't seem to bother the saw...every one I have put seals in I've pulled the jug and seals and got in the bearings from both sides with an acid brush and mix and scrubbed all that crap out...then flushed several times with more mix until the mix looks the same coming out as it did going in......but you know I find the same crap in the same places in saws with more modern filtration too....it's crappy but these old saws have been inhaling that stuff for 40 years or better and still run strong......I don't think wood fibers bothers things much in a saw....Gawd I've seen 621s and 80 that were commercial cutters run for decades with just a brass screen filter.......saw dust doesn't seem to phase them.......but dirt/earth dust is definitely harmful!!

I can't even find a reliable image for the 45E online? Acres says 1975-1983 production run.

Kevin
I think they were not a big seller......I've never laid eyes on one.....that said......"rare" might be a good description...and you know what "rare" does to the price!!!!! (as long as it is a running "rare" saw....)

I think the 45E and 451E share a piston and cylinder. I've never seen an IPL for the 45E, but the casting code is the same. It's a different design than any of the other Jonsereds of the time. The carb cover is part of the rear handle and the a/v mounts go between the cover and the case. The 451E was the updated version and has the more familiar Jonsereds rear handle set-up. As Robin said, the 450 shares the bore and stroke, but that's probably it.

Eric....do you have one??? Do I have to ask.......hmmmm......yes I do...LOL!!!

ok, good call. Let me try that first.

As soon as I get me current Jonsereds herd under control, I wouldn't mind looking into a 625 or 630 or 670 rebuild. From the pics above they look like an interesting saw.

Older members like Eric probably remember when I got my first Jonsered that had red plastic on it...and how I whined....and whined...LOL....Eric actually sent the black side grips for that saw......that family of non Jonsereds saws is about my favorite and my go to saws when I need anything faster/bigger than my 49SP........well......until I need the 80, 910 or 111S.......it gets faster and better Dean.....but they don't have the same handling or exhaust tone of the real thing.......but damn good family...in orange or red....

That's pretty common for any old Jonsereds with a screen filter....saws dustcaked on all the intake parts.....you'll find if you pull the crank seals the inside of them an the bearing sides will be packed with black ooze.....as much of an issue as it may seem to be to us, it doesn't seem to bother the saw...every one I have put seals in I've pulled the jug and seals and got in the bearings from both sides with an acid brush and mix and scrubbed all that crap out...then flushed several times with more mix until the mix looks the same coming out as it did going in......but you know I find the same crap in the same places in saws with more modern filtration too....it's crappy but these old saws have been inhaling that stuff for 40 years or better and still run strong......I don't think wood fibers bothers things much in a saw....Gawd I've seen 621s and 80 that were commercial cutters run for decades with just a brass screen filter.......saw dust doesn't seem to phase them.......but dirt/earth dust is definitely harmful!!

I totally agree and have seen the same in older Huskies. I don't think it bothers the saws at all-sawdust. Gawd knows they breathe the stuff and it gets everywhere. Much more likely to scorch a cylinder/piston with bad oil mix or running too lean. In fact I've never seen an older two ring saw in either J'red or Husky grenade because of sawdust. I'm sure if I split the case on my 80, the inside of my crank bearings would be caked, but 35+ yrs of use hasn't made any difference. And yeah, anything from the ground like dirt passing through and you're in trouble!

Older members like Eric probably remember when I got my first Jonsered that had red plastic on it...and how I whined....and whined...LOL....Eric actually sent the black side grips for that saw......that family of non Jonsereds saws is about my favorite and my go to saws when I need anything faster/bigger than my 49SP........well......until I need the 80, 910 or 111S.......it gets faster and better Dean.....but they don't have the same handling or exhaust tone of the real thing.......but damn good family...in orange or red....

Man, when I was given that 'new' 910E to play with on real scale....you've never seen a more suspicious faller...lol! I really poured the coal to it waiting for it to grenade. But it didn't...thankfully I didn't pinch the bar or I'd have probably ripped the entire rear handle AV system apart.

Kevin

Back