Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Breaks the saw and "reduces" the price to $95...WTH?? Might as well do the eBay thing and ask $200 for a "rare", "vintage" saw. Like chumming for sharks;put your bait out on a long line and chum near the bottom.

Estate flipper....eBay is full of them and they're definitely full of it.

Kevin

I'd like to maybe try a GTG, but I'm not much of a 'team player'. I'm not taking any BS from anybody at my age and there sure is a lot of it at those events it seems. Still, if I get my Husky 2100 running right, I might go. Got nothing to prove to anybody, don't really care...it's what happens in the woods day in and day out that piques my interest in durability/longevity....lol.

Kevin

Thanks to All that recommended the little saw choices for my friend on the coast. He was ecstatic with the Husky 51. I didn't have the time to test run it...keep finding little things wrong, like a broken chain brake, bent bar adjustment screw etc. Then I got there and he had already bought Stihl Ultra for his oil mix(was my recommendation) and the Stihl bar oil. Once primed, it fired right up and was easy to tune...just like the big Huskies. I left it a little rich so he won't burn it up. Recoil wouldn't return the handle most of the time. All he had was PB Blaster and WD-40. Not recommending WD for anything but wet distributor caps...its real purpose. Not much official lubricant in PB Blaster, but it worked. Cut some stumps lower that he had around his house. Felt like leaning it out and showing him what the saw could really do....but resisted the temptation. Sure are plentiful parts for the little beastie and they get here fast!

He ever burns up that P&C and I'm putting back in the 55 P&C. He's about 30 miles from an old school Ace Hardware...like they used to be before the box stores killed them....didn't take out this one. Also a Stihl dealer in the Ace so he can continue to get the Stihl Ultra and the bar oil. I'm gonna start calling his place The Land That Time Forgot....a virtual paradise right now...until the rain & storms start in the fall...lol! They don't even have a grocery store there...someone missed that opportunity.

Kevin

Is that beige cord/tube running up the top handle for heating?

OOOOOOoooooo.......Lee......that's the dreaded "Heated Handle by Exhaust Gas" rig......those sucked badly......think about it.......hot exhaust gases and rubber tubing.....couldn't see that coming...LOL!!! That was the last thought of a backward child........didn't last long...couple years then they got it together and went electric...actually I think they went electric first but tried to make this as a lighter/cheaper alternative.....FAIL......went back to electric......which I really like using.....have several saws this way....

OOOOOOoooooo.......Lee......that's the dreaded "Heated Handle by Exhaust Gas" rig......those sucked badly......think about it.......hot exhaust gases and rubber tubing.....couldn't see that coming...LOL!!! That was the last thought of a backward child........didn't last long...couple years then they got it together and went electric...actually I think they went electric first but tried to make this as a lighter/cheaper alternative.....FAIL......went back to electric......which I really like using.....have several saws this way....

Whoa....back up the train...exhaust gas??!! Wow, as much as I love J'reds, they have done some surprisingly stupid engineering at times.

Here is a nice looking 621....still has the plug cover and pretty nice paint.....wrong switch but be interesting to see how high it goes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Swiss-J...616816?hash=item4b025427b0:g:uHcAAOSwjXRXaIWv

Nice one...no garage cancer, lots of paint...good remaining representative of that model. Would be a good eBay yardstick of a running(albeit poorly) 621.

Kevin

Whoa....back up the train...exhaust gas??!! Wow, as much as I love J'reds, they have done some surprisingly stupid engineering at times.

Nice one...no garage cancer, lots of paint...good remaining representative of that model. Would be a good eBay yardstick of a running(albeit poorly) 621.

Kevin

Yeah not one of their better moves.....these were tried mostly on the 5XX series.....as a cheap way to get heat without much cost or extra weight. They had a metering block on the muffler that was somewhat adjustable......like a damper in a stove pipe, but they almost instantly carboned up and failed and without the flow of gases through the tubing, the rubber tubes would get to hot and fry off the fittings......was NOT a good plan.....I'm sure they are out there but I've never actually seen one that works, either now or back then....but my 521s with electric dual heat ranges work mighty fine in cold weather.....still 40 or so years out....way better idea....but with a fairly steep cost up front.

The heat with exhaust was Partner influence. Real Jonsereds have propane in their handles.

Those diesel Jonsereds supposedly never came over here...with the propane-in-the-handle ignition. Any that may be here, would be a very rare bird indeed. But they did send diesel saws that had a battery box, which worked a glow plug.

A guy named Wiig in Oslo invented the propane-in-the-handle fired, diesel chainsaw....The Comet. Later to sell to a Swede company called Como and then Jonsereds picked up on it in 1954, in some business arrangement with Como.

All this thankfully before my time in the woods ...lol

Kevin

Back