Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the very first 670's had a rubber intake boot, but it the internal impulse passage which was a engineering failure. Once Jonsered realized this they sent out update parts with a new block, boot, carb top cover, and impulse nipple. I think they even sent out a bunch of updated cylinders with the impulse nipple added to the right side transfer port.

At that time they had to do away with the special 670 black intake elbow (and filter) because it would not clear the fitting on the carb top cover, and they used a 268 style elbow with the rear mount foot. Vibration caused the foot to break off and also caused case cracks around the square stop switch hole and on the right side by the oil pump. After several more changes and an updated case with a round stop switch, the saws became very reliable.

Boy here's a sweet deal....a very nice condition 630 Super....looks like it needs a recoil spring but otherwise looks very, very low hour.........I'd jump on that but cash is low and I have several.......the BIN is $89 plus $2o shipping.......he might come down a few bux as he has a "Make Offer" on it too!! Some body ought to grab it quick!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonsered-63...062622?hash=item33be102a9e:g:iyUAAOSwawpXwk-7

Never seen these flat "spikes" before. I saw it on CL for sale and got curious. It's a 625.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    339.8 KB · Views: 30
  • image.png
    image.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 27
Never seen these flat "spikes" before. I saw it on CL for sale and got curious. It's a 625.

Those are Bumpers........ as opposed to spikes/dogs......get a little more use out of the bar length wise......popular in the smaller wood production areas, like pulp wood etc.

Me either........ but they do offer protection to the front of the saw and muffler when bucking and those that like them or run no dogs at all say the saws handle better when limbing quickly , especially in thick evergreen tops like spruce, where aggressive dogs can snag on branches and such, slowing you down.

Newbie Question: I feel like I see more of a market for 49SP's than for 52/52E's. Is there something about the 49SP that makes it more desirable than the 52/52E? Am I simply imagining things?

Newbie Question: I feel like I see more of a market for 49SP's than for 52/52E's. Is there something about the 49SP that makes it more desirable than the 52/52E? Am I simply imagining things?

Nope you are not imaging things.....there are a lot more 49sps than 52/52Es out there. There are a couple reasons for this as I see it. First the 49sp was nearly as popular as the 621......they sold bunches of them. Price was an important factor and though the 49 seems to just be a stripped down 52, it is not, though they share cases, recoils, top and rear handles, clutches and covers, mufflers, carbs and airfilters/covers and top engine cowling being different only in paint color. The 49 sported a much cheaper/lighter duty ign. system with a cyl mounted coil and an aluminum flywheel, and single ring piston with an open port cyl. Where as the 52 was closed port cyl with two ring piston with wristpin thrust washers and your choice of electronic ign or a heavy duty points ign system similar to the 621 and 80 with the same flywheel as the 66 and 70E but with a smaller plastic fan. The 52 was a pro saw......the 49sp a semi-pro saw and cost followed quality....in 1977 when I bought my one and only new saw...a shiny new 49SP it cost $249.95 plus tax...the 52 sold for $274.95 and the 52E went for $299.95. Being basically a newbe myself in modern saws, couldn't see why I should pay $50.00 (1977 dollars) for a saw with the same ccs.....nor did/could the dealer explain the difference to me in a way that made sence......so like a huge number of folks I went with the semi-pro version. I was never dissatisfied with my choice. The other big reason you don't see as many 52s is the 52 series was a pro work saw....and like nearly all more expensive tools was generally worked to death and tossed by pro users. Where as, most 49s went to serious firewooders and homowners that wanted a good saw in the shed....where many lived for years and still do. I have a number of excellent running 52s and more 49sps than anyone should ever own but I still have and use regularly my old 49sp....I had worn it completely out by 1992 by making my living with it for three or four winters and felling and fitting 27 cord of hardwood firewood yearly for 15 years. Being too cheap to throw it away it sat ruined for another 15 years thinking I might find a suitable parts donor saw. Then I found this site......Oh My.....and then I found more than I bargained for.. Another really understated saw in this series is the 521E......the "Cadillac" of the 49cc Jonsereds....I have a half dozen or more of those. I really like the heated handles with two levels of heat...a very different type of Jonsereds from the rest of the 52 series but uses many of the same 52 series parts....a true joy to run in the winter.....another very heavy duty Jonsereds Pro-Built 49cc saw.

Interesting that the price point put the 52 below the 49SP, but the 52E higher. Are there more differences between the 52 and the 52E than the ignition?

Also, I thought the only difference between the 52E and 521E was the heated handle?

I love my 52E's. I fully stripped my donor power head, too. Had a real clean P/C and carb. Not sure that it wouldn't have run with a little love, but I needed spares more than another saw.

Interesting that the price point put the 52 below the 49SP, but the 52E higher. Are there more differences between the 52 and the 52E than the ignition?

Also, I thought the only difference between the 52E and 521E was the heated handle?

I love my 52E's. I fully stripped my donor power head, too. Had a real clean P/C and carb. Not sure that it wouldn't have run with a little love, but I needed spares more than another saw.

Sorry my bad....I meant TWO 74.95...I'll go fix it!!!

Ok, that makes way more sense.

On a related note, anyone have good sources for the 3mm width woodruff key used on the early Jred? Is there a Husqy or P/P part number cross? Figured I'd ask before researching a bunch....

No other differences between the 52 and 52E other than the ign type when dealing in the same years.....newer models changed the lower trigger handle brace on the bottom to plastic like the 70E and 49sp.....the older ones had a red metal brace like the 80 and 621. Also the later 49SPs and the 52s changed the top handle from a ribbed black plastic coating/grip on the metal handle to a smooth all metal handle with a black Teflon like coating

The 521E had major changes made from the 49, 52 and 52E. The entire flywheel side case half is totally different along with the recoil itself....even the starter pulley is different. This was due to the heater stator being under the flywheel so there had to be space made on the outside for a ign pickup module...they located it roughly between the gas cap and recoil screen....spark coil remained in the recoil cover. These also came stock with the chain brake that was a dealer installed option on the other Jonsereds saws. At the end of the day it's basically a 52E with heated handles but different. The two speed heat is great.....if you are bucking up firewood or something where you keep setting the saw down and idling a lot you run them on high......but you're cutting hard in a pile or limbing where the motor is reved up pretty fast and steady high gets to hot so you can kick it down to low and it's just the right temp.

Latest posts

Back