Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
s-l500.jpg

Bought an ugly, beat but complete 52. This one will be used as a parts saw for my other 52.
Paid $65 to my doorstep.

Found this guy on Facebook. Paid $75. Anyone have any knowledge on a 66e. Just played around with it a little. Seems to have decent compression but no spark. Plus the fuel smells nice and skunky. Someone already disconnect the ignition switch because it fell all apart. Might be a fun one to find ignition parts for. Just thought I would share.
IMG_20160920_185334170_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160920_185355228.jpg

Here's a wild one........$60.00 shipping is quite spendy on top of the cost of the saw.....looks to be an 80 with a 90 top end.....lot of hrs on that one.....no interest here....but an interesting setup none the less.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JONSEREDS-8...528367?hash=item2a70b4dfaf:g:gi0AAOSwAuZX1voQ
Looks a lot like mine, though mine is a little less beat....

s-l500.jpg

Bought an ugly, beat but complete 52. This one will be used as a parts saw for my other 52.
Paid $65 to my doorstep.
SWEET! I have been hoping someone would buy that one.....'cause Mrs Heffalump would have killed me if I bought it myself....

Am I correct in assuming the 66e and 70e share a lot of parts?
My understanding is that the 66E is a 70E chassis with a smaller P/C. Killer deal for $75!! Not seen very often either.....

In other news, received an envelope in the mail from the Rockbound Coast of Maine today....the key fits perfectly!

@Cantdog is the man!!

Looks a lot like mine, though mine is a little less beat....

SWEET! I have been hoping someone would buy that one.....'cause Mrs Heffalump would have killed me if I bought it myself....

My understanding is that the 66E is a 70E chassis with a smaller P/C. Killer deal for $75!! Not seen very often either.....

In other news, received an envelope in the mail from the Rockbound Coast of Maine today....the key fits perfectly!

@Cantdog is the man!!
Found this guy on Facebook. Paid $75. Anyone have any knowledge on a 66e. Just played around with it a little. Seems to have decent compression but no spark. Plus the fuel smells nice and skunky. Someone already disconnect the ignition switch because it fell all apart. Might be a fun one to find ignition parts for. Just thought I would share.
View attachment 526602
View attachment 526603

Very nice looking 66E indeed!!!!
The early 79E and 66E are practically indistinguishable from one another. The only way to tell them apart that I know of by simply looking at the saws is that the 66E has the cyl fins closer together......like a 621 or 80 whereas the 70E fin spacing is more modern...less fins further apart. The 66E has only one more fin than the 70E but it noticeably changes the spacing. Other than the P&C the saws are exactly the same for the early 70E...early being #158500 and below.

Ign problems are almost always due to a toasted module under the flywheel. But one thing to check before trying to find one of those is the electrical connection between the case and the recoil housing.......these sometimes will gain resistance and require attention. I usually just clean the connections and place one of the washers from a recoil bolt in between with a tiny dab of grease to hold it in place and put the recoil back on. This will insure the connection is good. Modules are hard to come by.....the 52E takes the same module but it carries a different part # due to the length of the attached wires are different from the 52 to the 66/70.....but it can be made to work.

Update on the 66e. Good news and bad news. First I took the recoil cover off and cleaned the contact and now it has spark. Thanks @Cantdog! The bad news is that when I took the recoil off I found the fan had grenades at some point. So then I was going to install the new switch I had but found it was too big to fit the hole. I went ahead and gave it a couple pulls and it started right up and ran darn good. I just had to back the idle down a little. So now I have a parts wish list. Where can I find the following parts? Plastic fan, ignition switch, and the knob on top of the air cleaner. Thanks guys!

Hey @beavis331 see if you can substitute a flywheel from a 621 or 70E? Those old plastic flywheel fans are not easy to come by.

Robin, do you know if this is the same one as the 52E?

Weird....why do I feel like my 70E has a 1 piece metal flywheel and fan.....?

Maybe I've been spending too much time with that 80....

Weird....why do I feel like my 70E has a 1 piece metal flywheel and fan.....?

Maybe I've been spending too much time with that 80....

The later 70e had the aluminum one piece flywheel and a coil mounted on the cylinder.

Correct. The earlier 70e is essentially the same as the 66e, only different p&c.

Thanks Heffalump! My understanding is the 70e is the same and the 52e will bolt on but has smaller fins.

You are correct there. The 70/66E share the metal flywheel center with the 52/52E but the plastic fans are very different in size. The only way to get a 70E fan is to pick up a parts saw or find someone who will part with an extra. There were some guys on AS that were 3d "printing" new fans with some success...try a search...I can't remember the link or who started it.

I could not stop thinking about it so I will have to let you know
tracking it should be here tomorrow.
If nothing else I will have one more to play with
It's a fun rig! I love mine. I was running a 32" GB on it with full chisel and it never had any issues....until a little chunk of the paper base gasket popped out.... The weight of the 80 chassis with the power of the 90 is a really nice pairing.

80 / 90 out of the box tonight . 138 cold ( 4 pulls ) and not a full pull starter cord stops about 4 inches short of going all the back in .
fuel and oil no prime 5 pulls and it burped 7 to run so far so good .
up next vac / pressure May not be till Monday working tomorrow and my wife wants to ride the motorcycles Sunday
She will not ride if it's cold and already telling me winter is coming

Now this is when I beg for a manual

You are correct there. The 70/66E share the metal flywheel center with the 52/52E but the plastic fans are very different in size. The only way to get a 70E fan is to pick up a parts saw or find someone who will part with an extra. There were some guys on AS that were 3d "printing" new fans with some success...try a search...I can't remember the link or who started it.

Thanks Cantdog. I found one on ebay. The guy wanted $75 but I offered him $50 and he accepted. I am a happy guy!

Latest posts

Back