Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be well worth the trip, although I was told that a lot of the original Jonsereds records were destroyed in a fire. I don't even know if that's true or just a rumor. What you may find though are individuals still alive that worked at the factory....that would be the next best thing. When I was in Sweden many eons ago, I found the people incredibly helpful and friendly. I can't say the same thing for the Germans, for example.

Well, usually when Acres is wrong, he's really wrong...lol.

Kevin

That's what I was hoping to find - former employees. Along with stashes of saws, parts, original memorabilia, etc.

Nice...Eric has posted a lot of this stuff.....but a lot here I've never seen...thanks, Scott!

The Swedes were so whimpy and methodical about fallin'....I don't get sometimes how the saws were so great....lol. The felling cushion never replaced wedges and I suspect this was limited to a certain diameter tree. I've had to use Silvey hydraulic pacs (with five jacks) to make some giants go the direction I wanted......50 ton Silvey jack minimum on most. I mean you can sit there for hrs driving stacked wedges, or use a hydralic jack(s) that take minutes once installed. No bladder off a saw would have that kinda force.

Kevin

Fellas -

Can I get a price check on Aisle 9? I need to thin the herd a bit. I have four 621's and four 601's. Can I get your thoughts on approximate market value? Thinking about selling 2 of each. They're complete saws in good overall condition. With spark and good compression (gauge verified), starting with a prime. Original sprocket bar and a chain with some life left in it. Nothing missing or broken.

I checked some completed auctions on eBay and there were 421's priced all over the place - some for $380 (unsold) and some for $100 (sold). Didn't see any 601's; maybe because these never made it to the states?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

Scott,
Prices are gonna be all over the place on these old saws. Collectors now are looking for 90%+ paint and low hrs for the big bucks. Well worn but solid complete saws bring about 2/3 of a low hr, complete paint saw. A really nice, full paint, low hr 621 could fetch $450 on a good day on eBay. But then the same saw may top out @$375 on another day. Going into fall always seems to bring prices up a bit....but less & less with collectors just wanting a certain model saw.

So like a nice, solid worn 621 that's runnng and has no issues may top out at $300. Exceptions now seeming to be the biggers saws like the 80/801, 90 and 111S. I can remember not that many yrs ago when you could find a nice 90 for $150 or less on the bay. Things change....like I've said before, collectors start at the top of the food chain and work down.

It costs more, but don't let your good saws go for cheap on a bad day...put in a reserve. As far as the real-world, market prices are crazy depending on where you are and who's looking.....very rarely anymore does someone not know what they have since google is just finger tips away. Still, it happens in auctions and estate sales

Kevin

Fellas -

Can I get a price check on Aisle 9? I need to thin the herd a bit. I have four 621's and four 601's. Can I get your thoughts on approximate market value? Thinking about selling 2 of each. They're complete saws in good overall condition. With spark and good compression (gauge verified), starting with a prime. Original sprocket bar and a chain with some life left in it. Nothing missing or broken.

I checked some completed auctions on eBay and there were 421's priced all over the place - some for $380 (unsold) and some for $100 (sold). Didn't see any 601's; maybe because these never made it to the states?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

I am assuming you meant 451 rather than 421? The 621 is a legendary saw....and a great saw but they made tons of them and anywhere they sold Jonsereds there are many still around and in useable condition. They are not the least bit rare so they really don't fetch long money even on ebay. Though occasionally a bidding frenzy can occur and the price gets overly inflated. Some percentage will buy a 621 to use....now the non AV 601 is older and not so many around.....these would be just for the collectors....I would not be surprised if they might bring more $$$ than the 621s if they are in good condition.

I think collectors and users are willing to pay $400 or more for a really nice, full paint, low hrs 621 if the ad is worded properly.

Non-AV J'reds saws are gonna find their way to principally collectors. But I don't see many of them going long.....yet. Only thing holding the older J'reds back is the desperate scarcity of parts and in many cases the number of survivors. Certainly is not the lack of quality. Without any NOS stock to speak of, parts have to come from other parts saws. We see this in the 111s; people paying insane prices for parts saws.

On the positive side, J'reds engineers made many models share parts.

The original J'reds are some of the most interesting saws out there.

Kevin

I am assuming you meant 451 rather than 421? The 621 is a legendary saw....and a great saw but they made tons of them and anywhere they sold Jonsereds there are many still around and in useable condition. They are not the least bit rare so they really don't fetch long money even on ebay. Though occasionally a bidding frenzy can occur and the price gets overly inflated. Some percentage will buy a 621 to use....now the non AV 601 is older and not so many around.....these would be just for the collectors....I would not be surprised if they might bring more $$$ than the 621s if they are in good condition.

Sorry, I meant 621 not 421.

Understood on the 601's.

At some point I'm going to have to sell some XF's, but I'm up to 10 now, and I plan to hang on to them for a while. There are 8 pictured here, along with a parts saw with broken rear handles. Have a few more parts saws and a few boxes of spare parts, too. And two more nice and complete XF's on the way here from the Motherland...
IMG_0113.JPG

I think collectors and users are willing to pay $400 or more for a really nice, full paint, low hrs 621 if the ad is worded properly.

Non-AV J'reds saws are gonna find their way to principally collectors. But I don't see many of them going long.....yet. Only thing holding the older J'reds back is the desperate scarcity of parts and in many cases the number of survivors. Certainly is not the lack of quality. Without any NOS stock to speak of, parts have to come from other parts saws. We see this in the 111s; people paying insane prices for parts saws.

On the positive side, J'reds engineers made many models share parts.

The original J'reds are some of the most interesting saws out there.

Kevin

Yep. I was the one who paid up for the 111S parts saw...

BTW, the 110 should be here any day now. Excited to do some more detective work here.

And I scored an XG yesterday, also on the way here from Sweden. The CAD paid off this time, too -- I saw a collection of XG parts several weeks ago and bought it, even though I didn't have an XG yet. And I was able to pick this one up cheap because it was missing a few things. If you look at it, you can see that it appears to have been beat up a bit, but still has most of the the original paint under the grime, so maybe it's a low hour saw.

254005447_0503e8b9-8e3c-4bc0-b6a7-2b3699909b2e.jpg 254005447_1e292cc8-8b9e-4121-8762-5e84ad76d560.jpg 254005447_fe78596f-e022-4354-bd3c-e1886dc59cab.jpg

Scott, I wasn't crucifying you for bidding up a 111S parts saw.....that's been going on for some yrs now with that model.

The XB looks like pure sex.

Kevin

The XB is indeed a beauty.

Have some parts on the way from Sweden - bits and pieces from a few different saws. I'll keep the parts that will fit my silver tops, but let me know if any of you see anything you need. If it's just a piece or two, you can have it for the cost of shipping (around $12 for USPS flat rate box).
254316960_a6e8b105-cc46-4e86-b3a2-fc3868b7e529.jpg

Fellas -

I posted more 110 and 111 pics in the main forum. Hoping to find someone who has an early 111 or a 110.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/jonsereds-110-or-111.312904/

Also, the 110(?) has remnants of decals on the sides of the silver top but you can't tell what they said.

The 110 actually cleaned up pretty well, too, and has 150 psi compression. I'm almost hoping it's a 111 so I won't feel guilty about using it as a parts saw. The 111S doesn't have a muffler, an air filter, a lid for the top cover, the piston is scored (although it still has 120 psi compression), rear handle broken, etc. But with the parts from the 110/111 I could make a complete saw...

Thanks,

Scott

Scott,
I guess it comes down to having a unique 110 (possibly) or using the parts to make a whole 111S. Tough choice....I honestly don't know what I would do but most probably, make the 111S whole again.

There might be such a market though for a real 110 that you take that money and buy/find parts for the 111S.....I dunno. So little is out there on these saws. My hope was that you make it to the motherland and find someone that worked at the factory back then. Because on this end, it all conjecture and confabulatuion.

And speaking of confabulation....I had a logging job this holiday weekend I just got back from. I was clearing Catalpa and Walnut trees. The Catalpas were ancient and the Walnuts less than a hundred yrs old. This stupid fallacy going around the saw forums that PNW skip-tooth chisel chain is only good for softwoods is just that; a stupid fallacy. Madison's tells you that you shouldn't use .404 skip-tooth chain in anything less than 80cc. That I totally agree and keep the chain very sharp. No it doesn't dull fast in clean hardwood either, as so claimed. It cuts through oak and walnut like butter.....but you can't half throttle or dog it....gotta keep the rpm's up and the chain sharp....shouldn't be a bid deal and it isn't for me. This rumor about skip tooth chain has gotten so much traction on the saw forums that it's stated as gospel.

The Arkansas 90 got the lion's share of the work this weekend. I gotta get a muffler mod for that saw. My only complaint is that stupid decomp.....flip the saw around for fallin' like I'm used to and my knuckles repeatedly hit the decomp. The factory handle runs too close to the decomp IMO. I've got one full-wrap aluminum handle down for a extensive welding repair and the other full-wrap (steel) is on the 80. So the 90 has never had a full-wrap on as of yet. I've got two full-wraps for the 910, but that's a different animal.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back