Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the dropping of the "s" occured sometime in late 83. I have an 83 490 that is a Jonsereds and a 84 490 that is a Jonsered. As Kevin said the 910 was the first of the 9XX series and are true Jonsereds and I think some of the 920s were labeled Jonsereds but not all and I think all the 930s were just Jonsered. That is how I understand it anyway.....and I could be wrong!!!

The rear mounts aren't really that bad.....they mostly fail if one gets the saw stuck in the cut an trys to remove it forcefully by yanking rather than lifting the log or cutting it out with another saw........or what ever it takes to relieve the stress on the bar. One just has to be very conscious of that fact......Other than that they actually do a pretty good job at AV duty....
I actually think I saw advertising lit for the 920 as Jonsereds and Jonsered. By the time the Husky-influenced 930 came out, it was Jonsered.

Yes, the AV system is good on the 910 to combat white knuckle. As Robin said, don't yank on the trigger handle if the bar is stuck.

Kevin

I had a heated handle 490 with the S still on it. Have to see if I have the tag saved for year as I sold it to collector.
No tag pic yet but when I got it saved this = Tag shows made in 1982 with only 4 digit serial number. 2487

Cant recall who told me but they said they got pallets in with both s and not back then. I thought it was 82ish time frame.

j490hx.jpgj490hhh.jpgj490hh.jpgj490p5000heated.JPG

Back to my 451 project today. I think that I may have been getting false test results when pressure testing before and while I may have that pinhole case leak, the main culprit is the large persistent leak from the nordfeller plug. I tried two crush washers before but I think the hole for the plug was tapped so off center that even two crush washers won't do.

Here is the plug partially threaded to show the angle. The right side of the crush washer doesn't come in contact with the plug when tightened down and air is just pissing out from there.
IMG20230628144505.jpg
I will never use the nordfeller plug so I don't mind a permanent solution, but I don't have access to a Tig welder (or know how to for that matter). Any other solution here? What would you guys do?

I potentially could try the wigglesworth method on the old cylinder and clean up the transfer and use that cylinder (nordfeller plug threads nice and straight), if nothing works with this new cylinder.

So who is a real Jonsered fan and is going to shell out for the transparent covers for a display cutaway 2055 on Flea Bay?
It would be very cool.....and I am a fan......and I have a nice 2055 here but that's way to rich for my cheap self!!!

Back