Jonsered or Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In The Weeds

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im still looking for a saw in the 60cc range. Between Jonsered and Dolmar what's the most bang for my buck?

Well Dolmar really only makes one 60cc saw the 6400. You can get them cheap and you can always upgrade it to a 7900. For the cc's the 6400 is quite large and heavy.

The Jonsered 2159 is smaller and lighter, so I'd say it's a better all around saw, and they do port well.

Well Dolmar really only makes one 60cc saw the 6400. You can get them cheap and you can always upgrade it to a 7900. For the cc's the 6400 is quite large and heavy.

The Jonsered 2159 is smaller and lighter, so I'd say it's a better all around saw, and they do port well.

What if I intend on leaving the saw stock and am mostly concerned with the longevity/parts availability of the saw?

I have both Husky and Dolmar and I like them both.

At the time of purchase, I thought the Dolmar to be more for your money.

I like both brands.

The Husky and Jonsered are pretty much the same.

Buy both, try them out, keep the one you like most, sell the other one, then use the money to buy something else!

Just a thought,you can rent a 6400(Makita) at Home Depot and run it a couple of hours and see what you think. At least you will know about the Dolmar(they are the same saw.)Down the road if you chose the Dolmar you can always upgrade with a larger piston and jug. If the Dolmar is to heavy you can go for a lighter Johnny.

The 2159 is about to be replaced with the lighter and stronger 2258 (and the 2156 with the lighter and stronger 2260). Both new saws have autotune, and they are based on the Husky 555 and 560xp.

Bingo.

It depends on what you want. Both are built well, but the Dolmar's value is in the fact that it can be upgraded easily and cheaply. If you want a 60cc saw that will always be what it is (a 60cc saw) then the Jonsered may be the way to go.

If you want a saw with flexibility to upgrade to more power down the road, then Dolmar is probably your best bet.

Either way they are strong/great saws.

The 6400/6401 is much larger and heavier than the 2159/2156, and also have a lot more power. The comparable Jonsered is the 2165, and the 6400 still is heavier. :msp_wink:

Thanks for input guys. The reason I am not looking for a Husqvarna is the dealer near me is a total ass. Yea I am never going to do any modifications on this saw, I am the same way with my vehicles, stock all the way. That being said, I don't think I would mind extra weight if it meant a tougher saw. Bottom line is saw will be used hard and will stay stock.
Btw, how much is a rental for the 6400 at home depot? I would try that if it weren't too expensive since I don't want to eat into my purchase money.

Home Depot 4hr, Day, Week, Month

Chainsaw 20" (Gas) 36.00 52.00 208.00 624.00

Back