"Jonsered" pronounciation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
No no no.,, we need a real Swede - Swedes will hear those Norwegian's as having funny accents :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm one to talk - every time I say I'm off to the pawn shop, I get funny looks... Then there's the way you guys all say "horror".. Hmmm...
Maybe because every time you say pawn shop, your heading to the bathroom. :hmm3grin2orange:

woodhog said:
I am a Jonsered dealer, and I just say johnny-red, but the correct way I was told is;
yawn-sir-red. The "j" is pronounced "y".

I am also a Husqvarna dealer, and you would not believe the people who cannot pronounce husqvarna!

Yes, but Saw Troll or some other "over the ponder" could verify, when you add a bit of scanda-hoovian to the pronunciation it would come out of a Swede or Norwegian's mouth as "Yawn-sar-road" or "Yawn-sar-rude" with a bit of roll in the "r", although the real pronunciation would lie somewhere in-between the two. It's been 26 years since I took Norwegian in college, but some of it stuck.

Mark

Nie yi forstar ikke....that's my motto (you may have to pardon the spelling, but you get the point).

SawTroll said:
My vote goes to Hus-kvarna....

But what do you know, you're a dang Norwegian, not a Swede.

Me, can't make up my mind, I'm 1/2 Norwegian and 1/2 Swede...:laugh:

Woudn't it be closer to hoos-kvarna? Just checking. Then check out my Jonsered post. Translation of pronunciations can be kind of hard, especially when you're no good at it, like me.

Mark

The name Jonsered originated just after WWII in a logging camp in northern Sweden. It was an especially cold winter and the guys really had to bundle up. At night, in the bunkhouse, they would all sleep in their long johns. Most of them were gray or white, but there was this one guy Erik, whose mother had made some bright red ones for. All the loggers would laugh at him and say "look at Erik, his JOHNS ARE RED!!!!!!!!!"

(I should get banned for that one.)

Yup. Always wondered how one pronounces Jonsered.

It took me forever to stop saying Husq ka varna.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

6 years and 4 pages of posts and I'm still not sure how to pronounce the name of my new saw. :dizzy:

OH well. I like how it cuts even though I can't pronounce the name Nor can I remember the number easily. :cry:

Maybe J'red would sell more saws if people could A) pronounce the name

B) remember the numbers. (3 numbers is hard enough)

Oh well. I'll just go with J'red.

Adam

I agree BUT HOOSKVARNA just doesnt sound right!

Closest so far, but just admit it, you can`t pronounce it right unless you are scandinavian.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

That "u" is really much sharper than your "oo".

Last edited:
A few months ago a guy walked into our store and asked if I had style. I said well you're looking at me, you tell me. We exchanged a few confused looks. Took me a while to figure out he wanted a "style" chainsaw. I had really never heard anyone mispronounce stihl. Our confusion is usually because we sell steel (hot/cold roll, I-beams, tubing, etc) as well as stihl.

Back