"Jonsered" pronounciation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
But all of the US comercials they had a while back it was stated to be pronounced a s "Husk-varna"

So true brother Andy. Up at the shop I make it very easy whenever one comes in. I always say ya gotta Husky do ya, they go yup. See theres a easy way around mis stating da name, just need alittle southern slang,hehe

THALL10326 said:
So true. By Joe thats why I likes me Stihls, no matter how ya spell it , Stihl, steal or steel, it all comes out the same, Stihl, steal or steel and sounds the same, smart feller that Stihl guy was,hehe(for you Manual,lolol)

I've heard people around here say "Still" for STIHL. :D

THALL10326 said:
So true. By Joe thats why I likes me Stihls, no matter how ya spell it , Stihl, steal or steel, it all comes out the same, Stihl, steal or steel and sounds the same, smart feller that Stihl guy was,hehe(for you Manual,lolol)
Not so smart should be spelt still, We are in America.

Yawn-sir-red

woodhog said:
I am a Jonsered dealer, and I just say johnny-red, but the correct way I was told is;
yawn-sir-red. The "j" is pronounced "y".

I think this is the pronounciation I'll use from now on...Yawn-sir-red as in Yehova......so when the Yehova's come a knockin I'll get my Yawn-sir-red out!!!!

With all the above prononciations, I've also here jonsered pronounced

ser-red where the 'ser' is pronounced like Sir. I say JON SERED becuase when I say yawnsered, everyone looks at me like I've got a vaginal disease.

Where is SawTroll when you need him. I'm sure he has some input that we haven't heard of yet.....

I've been guilty of the husk 'a' varna in the past. Long before i met my amish dealer, that is how i pronounced it. He politely corrected me. Still to this day, the improper version husk 'A' varna is what I hear most.

how about the D brand? most locals in the area call them dall mers. Just like the guy that used to kill and eat people (jeffery dalhmer)

I try to pronounce it dole mar. Those that are real old just call them sacks (sachs dolmar) The early dolmars.

Is poulan poo lan, or poo lane? Or is it just pull on! :laugh:

hamradio said:
How do you pronounce "Jonsered"? I've heard the "ered" pronounce "rude" like Evinrude, and I've heard it pronounced "Jon Se Red".

Oh, a subject on AS where I can claim authority! Might be the only time, have to enjoy this!

In plain letters I would try like this:

jonn-se-reed
hus-kvaar-na

It´s a bit difficult thogh, cause I really can´t think of an English word with sounds similar to the double "ee", but the double "aa" sounds similar to the "a" in "hard".

Or you can hear me say it (it's plain windows .wav-files, but I do have a lousy mic.):

http://lasse.ringh.nu/sounds/Jonsered.wav
http://lasse.ringh.nu/sounds/Husqvarna.wav

However, with all languages, the right pronounciation on foreign words is really when what you say gets understood in that context by the people you are saying it to: Husky and Johnny Red works just fine.

Both brand names are the names of the town (Husqvarna) or village (Jonsered) where the factories started out. Husqvarna is made out of the Swedish words for "house" (hus) and "mill" (kvarn). Don´t really know why it gets an "a" at the end though, and the "q" instead of the "k" is just to make it look fancier when it´s a brand name. Jonsered is just a name.

Hus-kvarna, and jon-se-red. any the "red" part pronounced long ,,,, not like the colour red ,,,

Three Swedes in a row, we must get this right... Husqvarna: Three syllables, accent on the first. Jonsered: Also three syllables, pronounce them all with equal accent on first and last with long vowel sounds. Vowel in mid syllable is short.

Shoo'.

ray

I was told by a dealer way back when it was called John sir ray! So I bought one!I also thought this was funny.Was selling hardwood flooring in Tucson.People would come in and ask to see that new prego flooring!They meant Pergo!Never understood me when I asked them if they wanted mushrooms.!

Dr. Rob said:
Three Swedes in a row, we must get this right... Husqvarna: Three syllables, accent on the first. Jonsered: Also three syllables, pronounce them all with equal accent on first and last with long vowel sounds. Vowel in mid syllable is short.

Shoo'.

husqvarna as in husk-varna or husku as we finnish say...

Freakingstang said:
like I've got a vaginal disease.

Where is SawTroll when you need him. I'm sure he has some input that we haven't heard of yet.....

No no no.,, we need a real Swede - Swedes will hear those Norwegian's as having funny accents :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm one to talk - every time I say I'm off to the pawn shop, I get funny looks... Then there's the way you guys all say "horror".. Hmmm...

woodhog said:
I am a Jonsered dealer, and I just say johnny-red, but the correct way I was told is;
yawn-sir-red. The "j" is pronounced "y".

I am also a Husqvarna dealer, and you would not believe the people who cannot pronounce husqvarna!

He is right on!! I have also heard yawn-er-ed as a variation.

aquan8tor said:
So what happened to the "s" on the end. Old JR saws are marked "jonsereds", whereas new ones just "jonsered". What gives?? was that part of the electrolux acquisition years ago?
I believe so, as the "s" disappeared shortly after E-lux takeover.

Stihl= Best= orange&white= real one
Jonsered = johnny = red&black one
Husky= husqvarna = orange one
Echo= mine= gray&black one
atleast thats how my groundies think they are pronounced

Just MO
hae36.gif

Back