Just Another Old Crappy Poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edit: Were the transfers left at stock numbers, just cleand out a bit?
any numbesr coming or is this one staying a little more personal of a project.

I'd be interested to see a closeup of .325 sq.
The .325 that I have has too low of a cutter height to get the file under
and get a proper angle from tooth point to mid radius on the the inside of the tooth.
If I lift my file to get that angle, it's going to be cutting into the side plates pretty badly.
Course with a grinder, you can fix the wheel thickness & shape to get around some of that problem.

I looked at my "flat" type files and debated trying to grind one to about half thickness.
But just wasn't sure if I could pull that off without the file doing some sort of curl
from the imbalanced stress.
You guys in the machine shops should know what I'm referring to.

Plus the fun of trying to keep a bit of water on it while I used a hand held , electric,
grinder was another source of over thinking things.

Also I wnet to the photobucket site and can I (barely) see the that the bar is a replaceable/riveted nose.
Sort of a bit of a hump where it looks to join the main bar.
that's why I wondered if the bar had been cut down.

edit: Were the transfers left at stock numbers, just cleand out a bit?
any numbesr coming or is this one staying a little more personal of a project.

I'd be interested to see a closeup of .325 sq.
The .325 that I have has too low of a cutter height to get the file under
and get a proper angle from tooth point to mid radius on the the inside of the tooth.
If I lift my file to get that angle, it's going to be cutting into the side plates pretty badly.
Course with a grinder, you can fix the wheel thickness & shape to get around some of that problem.

I looked at my "flat" type files and debated trying to grind one to about half thickness.
But just wasn't sure if I could pull that off without the file doing some sort of curl
from the imbalanced stress.
You guys in the machine shops should know what I'm referring to.

Plus the fun of trying to keep a bit of water on it while I used a hand held , electric,
grinder was another source of over thinking things.

Also I wnet to the photobucket site and can I (barely) see the that the bar is a replaceable/riveted nose.
Sort of a bit of a hump where it looks to join the main bar.
that's why I wondered if the bar had been cut down.

Transfers raised quite a lot.

how do they combare to the 4000 in the wood?

Stephen, The 4000 has more torque and will out cut the PP380. 60cc compared to 64cc. Of course that is in stock form. Comparing one to that machine Randy just showed us, is a whole different conversation. :eek:

Some years ago I timed a bunch of cuts in fair size oak, between my 3700 Poulan & the PP380. The 3700 was faster by a second or two, than the 380 in every cut. Small wood, they might be closer.

Gregg,

If its good enough for bronson and reagan its good enough for me.
upload_2015-3-2_22-36-0.jpeg
McCulloch........... Strong enough for a president made for Men.
15z0fnc.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-2_22-32-53.jpeg
    upload_2015-3-2_22-32-53.jpeg
    13.6 KB · Views: 4
Transfers raised quite a lot.
Yeah I was thinking "No way that they're not swept up a bit"
But throw some ISO grain into the pics & add my screwy eyes,
and it makes me have to look for colors, to show the cutting sometimes.
The way the edges are dark looking , sort of makes it look like they might not have been changed.

but then so does the intake.....
.... argh

Back