Just can't do it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok this isn't really about cutting wood but it sort of is. My buddy wanted me to cut wood with him this morning but he wanted to start right at daybreak. He said he would be up by 7 and in the woods by 7:30.
Good God man. Do your feet hit the floor running or what. To be in the woods 30 minutes after you wake up.
I get up around 6 every day. Around 7:30 - 8 and several cups of coffee later I can get rolling. I just need that time to wake my brain up and get wound up to do anything let alone listen to a screaming loud chainsaw.

Anybody else here like me that needs a couple hours wake up time before work or do most of you hit the floor running everyday?

i usually get up a hour and half early,to shower,have a coke and relax to get ready for the day

I get up almost everyday between 4:45 and 5, but really get going around 6:45. Need time to sign on here and read posts. lol

It takes me a while to get going also.
(Edit) All this time I thought it was just me lol.

On a work day I'm up at 5:30, get my shower, breakfast and this time of year get the stove going. Then I hit the road. But I'm a moron in the morning, and if something disrupts my routine then I get discombobulated and forget stuff on the counter, etc.

When I'm not going to work I sleep in to 7 or 7:30 and take my time and have some coffee. If weather permits outside work I'm going to be pretty much crushed by the end of the day anyway, so what's the hurry?

I have to be at work at 7. Most days I roll out of bed at 6:10 and am out the door by 6:22. Drive to work takes 11 minutes and I get my coffee fill in my office.

Some days I wake up late (I'm a sucker for the snooze button) and am out the door in 5 minutes.

I don't blame you AIM. On weekends it takes me atleast an hour and 2 cups of coffee to get going.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

I can roll either way but for sure I like the more relaxed wake up better.

I spent decades getting up and going fast, to go make someone else money. All I got out of it was a busted back and poverty. Lost almost any respect at all for the boss class and the whole go go go rat race deal. In retrospect, man I would have done things different. Now working part time semi retired, I am taking care of myself first. Emergencies are one thing, day to day normal stuff is another. I can move fast and harder in an emergency, but am not seeing the need for it in day to day stuff.

I wake at 4:20am 5 days a week. By 4:40am I'm out of the house. That's showering, getting coffee made, loading the wood furnace and packing my lunch for the day. If there's something I need to do on the weekend, after a cup of coffee I'm ready. I've always been that way, where half the people I work with wake up an hour and a half early or more before work.

Anybody that takes 2 hours to wake up and get going is in for a world of hurt when the boogy man comes to get you. I'd say not very alert, which to me is a bad sign.

Now that I'm retired, I' up at 6:00 instead of 4:20. Start the fire, put the coffee on and me and the dog are out the door letting the chickens out, letting the dog do his business and get some more firewood. As a rule, 5 minutes after my feet hit the floor I'm on the move.

I'm semi-retired, I generally only work 2 days a week, I work every Sat. and Sun.
I like to get up an hour and half early, slurp some coffee, pinch a loaf and make ready for the day ahead, on my "work days".
Mon. thru Fri. I still get up 6:30-ish, chase the kids onto the bus and may or may not get moving by 9:30-10-ish..For the most part I quit wearing a watch and quit watching the clock,,a long time ago.

TO OP,

Sounds like your buddy wanted to make a productive day of it and get as much done as possible.

You could have gotten up earlier if it takes you a long time to get going in the morning. Personally since I quit drinking many years ago, I don't have a problem at all getting up real early.:laugh:

When I worked in petro-chem construction it usually involved a long drive and kicked off at six so I had to get up between three and four. Didn't matter if I had showered before bed the night before, my day started with a shower or hot bath. Fixed my lunch, drove to work to be there about fifteen minutes early.

Anytime somebody wanted to get together for a weekend project they usually claimed as early as I wanted to start was fine. "Dawn?" Usually some crawfishing about then, nobody really planned to kick off a weekend project by getting up at 3:30 or 4:00 on the weekend and working light was often five or five thirty in the summer. That was when I explained that dawn didn't crack until about 8:30 or 9:00 around my place on the weekend. Turned out that is what they had in mind!

As a teenager I had a chow dog. This was the best pard I ever had. Five or six days a week I rolled out of bed at four AM to go open a business across town at five. First thing I did was let the dog out. Come Sunday I got to sleep in till seven, didn't open until eight. Well I could have slept in if the chow hadn't been huffing in my face from two inches away at 4:05! Ignore that for a few minutes and get a full throated bark in the face from two inches away from my nose! Try ignoring that.

This was the smartest dog I ever owned, probably understood over a thousand words of English. Could speak casually to him and he would know what I had said. Of course he was a chow. Always told people he was the smartest dog I ever saw. Asked him if he wanted to come with me or not, and he always did or he didn't. He was always ready to go but he was hilarious, tell him to do something he didn't want to and at the second or third time he would do it but in super slow motion with every muscle groaning in protest. Anyway, as smart as he was and being with me 24/7 for life from the time he was three months old except on some jobs I'm quite sure he knew when Sunday's were, he just didn't care!

These days I'm tired and retired. When I'm up way before dawn it usually involves a gun or fishing pole. For awhile a camera. I used to do the outdoor photography thing and I loved going to maybe the second biggest wading bird rookery in North America in the hours before dawn. Listening to the sounds, watching the activities at first light, by the time a few other people arrived I had enjoyed three or four hours to myself. Comes to running a chainsaw, trees move slowly enough I can usually chase them down if I get to them by nine or ten o-clock. The only time I get up early in the summer is for a project that is gonna be a hard long all day sucker or to beat the heat for the first few hours on a particularly hot job.

Hu

Read somewhere that the majority of heartattacks occurr within the first 20min of getting out of bed. Seems it takes a few minutes for your body to become fully awake. I dont know if that is true or not, but since reading that, I have always hit the snooze button and will just lay in the bed until the alarm goes off a second time. I stay at motels during the wk. so Its usually take a shower and grap a cup of coffee on the way out the door. Usually in the truck in 10-15 minutes from the time my feet hits the floor.

Latest posts

Back