Just got a PP 5020

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FXDL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got one of these yesterday. Probably gonna use it mostly when i cut cedar. got it home fueled it up and put bar oil in. started but bogged and stalled. tried again same result. so today i went and bought the special card adjusting tool and now runs great. i think poulan include one of these with every saw they could probably prevent 90% of returns if people could set the carb right. It looks to be a decent saw. i like that it has 3/8's chain. the owners manual says to run it 40:1, but i run my stihl 260 on stihl ultra 50:1. anyone know a reason why i shouldnt run this poulan with 50:1 stihl ultra?

i also noticed there the husqvarna symbol on the plastic case under the carb. husky and poulan working together?:confused:

im anxious to get some hours on it. has anyone here spent some time running one of these?

According to the E.P.A. you aren't supposed to be able to adjust your carb!!!
That's why they made those style metering screws...to keep people from actually adding enough fuel to the mix to allow the saw to run the way it is supposed to.

Mike

Just got one of these yesterday. Probably gonna use it mostly when i cut cedar. got it home fueled it up and put bar oil in. started but bogged and stalled. tried again same result. so today i went and bought the special card adjusting tool and now runs great. i think poulan include one of these with every saw they could probably prevent 90% of returns if people could set the carb right. It looks to be a decent saw. i like that it has 3/8's chain. the owners manual says to run it 40:1, but i run my stihl 260 on stihl ultra 50:1. anyone know a reason why i shouldnt run this poulan with 50:1 stihl ultra?

40:1 is with Poulan branded oil. As mentioned if you are using Stihl Ultra it should be fine.

Considering how few people really know how to tune a carb it is just as well that they dont include the tuning tool.

Let us see that new saw and let us know how it works out. I have not seen one of these yet but on paper and pictures I have some hope that its actually a good saw for the money.

Oh yeah, lots of snobs here will diss it, but honestly a $200 saw hits a great price point for alot of people.

I saw one down at Orschlens farm store, it appears to be made just like this saw.

attachment.php

McCulloch MS 5020, ain't done much with it except tune it so will run, might try it out this weekend.

I don't know just how much has been traded between Poulan Pro and McCulloch, some of the McCullochs being sold overseas are rebadged Poulan Pros.

I saw one down at Orschlens farm store, it appears to be made just like this saw.

attachment.php

McCulloch MS 5020, ain't done much with it except tune it so will run, might try it out this weekend.

I don't know just how much has been traded between Poulan Pro and McCulloch, some of the McCullochs being sold overseas are rebadged Poulan Pros.

That saw you have there is a Troy Bilt made by Jenn Fang Industries in Tiawan. Jenn Fang has since been bought out by Husqvarna as of 09. That saw is basically the same saw Sears Craftsman was selling back in 05/06 as a 55cc, I have one. It's OK but manufactured really cheaply.

The new Poulan 5020 is a conglomeration of Poulan and Husky parts. The IPL shows both Husky and poulan PNs. The muffler is definitly Husky.

Here is the Sears version of it
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

attachment.php

I had one of those McCullochs in 46cc's and had thought the same thing.. After a quick 'hands on' in the store the PP5020 wasn't as similar as I thought to my Mac4600.

I don't get why Poulan put 72 (3/8') chain on it instead of 33SL like the 4620 has. Not like either chain is a great winner on a 50cc saw. IMO An 8 pin rim and 95P would have been a better combination. But they seem to be selling as-is and it does leave room for later improvements.

I'm curious if it is a pure clamshell design (PP4620) or if the jug is removeable like the Husky 350 ?

Man I only used a poulin once and I was really infuriated by the quality. It was made of cheezy wobbly plastic that was melting before my eyes and the oiler leaked like a sieve (this was a brand new saw, mind you). Are there higher quality saws produced by them or all they all junky like that? Im not hating, I'm just wondering as I am somewhat new to chainsaws myself.
The guy in the video looks like hes gonna cut his foot off one of these days.

Man I only used a poulin once and I was really infuriated by the quality. It was made of cheezy wobbly plastic that was melting before my eyes and the oiler leaked like a sieve (this was a brand new saw, mind you). Are there higher quality saws produced by them or all they all junky like that? Im not hating, I'm just wondering as I am somewhat new to chainsaws myself.
The guy in the video looks like hes gonna cut his foot off one of these days.

The oiler leaking should have been a clue something was wrong. Without proper oil the bar WILL over heat on any saw. If you continue to run it like that the heat will soften the mount area. I bought a Like New PP260 off Ebay for $20 that never had a drop of bar oil in it. Their mistake turned out to be my gain. That engine repowered a lien seized saw given to me and hasn't given me a moments trouble since.

If the handles seem to have much give , have your chains sharpened.

Ah yea it was my neighbor's saw I don't know anything about it tbh, just tested it out and thought it felt junky. Like I said it was brand new so dunno why the oiler should be messed up. I just figured it was cheap and the oil ports leaked like that. The chain made a lot of noise like the one in the video there too which seemed a little funny to me as well. I know I probably shouldn't write off a whole brand over one experience but I got a bad feeling with that saw and I haven't met anyone since who owned one, everyone I meet uses either Husqvarna or Stihl. I don't even know anyone who has a Jonsered either which is what I have. I live out in the sticks.

sorry i havent put any pics up yet, but yeah its a clamshell. it has a 2 barrel carb. so im guessing strato? i havent tried cutting much with it yet, just a few limbs i had to trim. i like the clutch cover being metal

Been a few month, So how has the 5020 worked out?

It looks like an ok saw for a cheapy, looks like a few good improvements over the 4620

Back