Just had a stump ground today:question....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green thumb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I thought of discarding the mulch from the stump but I am planing on planting two more trees very soon this week or next.Is it ok to use this mulch around my newly planted trees?

I was privy to some "hush hush" proprietary research and the verdict is...
use green mulch, its ok.

Thanks for the reply.Here is info I found out on a national hardware store.They say not to use fresh ground mulch.Their reason was fresh wood chip mulch removes the nitrogen from the soil and could harm the plant or tree it surrounds.I have not found an answer from a non biased site yet such as a site that don't SELL mulch.It could be true but I am undecided about using it.I might not use any mulch.I've planted three trees in my yard with NO mulch and they all did very well.I think mulch looks great around plants but for me its not necessary provided the soil is ok and they get water needed.

We are a tree care service, that like many others, not only trim/remove but also grind stumps as well. We also use mulch extensively around our trees here at our home. Our comments:

1) Do NOT work the mulch into the soil, but keep it strictly as a top dressing. (It is not like peat moss. It will deplete nitrogen if dug into the soil while it is fresh.)

2) Do NOT use this mulch if the tree that the stump was from died from a disease and you are planting a like species. In fact, if that is the case we do not recommend planting in the same hole or immediate area. If you must plant in the same hole, make sure all mulch and rotting wood material from the previous tree is removed, whether it was diseased or not.

Utilizing the mulch is a very good idea. Trees grown in landscape environments tend to live a rather sterile existance and can generally use all the organic matter we can put back into the soil.

DMc and SMc

Here is info I found out on a national hardware store.They say not to use fresh ground mulch.Their reason was fresh wood chip mulch removes the nitrogen from the soil
Hardware store missed a chance to sell fertilizer--broadcast 20-10-10 before spreading chips, no worries about N loss.:food:

We are a tree care service, that like many others, not only trim/remove but also grind stumps as well. We also use mulch extensively around our trees here at our home. Our comments:

1) Do NOT work the mulch into the soil, but keep it strictly as a top dressing. (It is not like peat moss. It will deplete nitrogen if dug into the soil while it is fresh.)

2) Do NOT use this mulch if the tree that the stump was from died from a disease and you are planting a like species. In fact, if that is the case we do not recommend planting in the same hole or immediate area. If you must plant in the same hole, make sure all mulch and rotting wood material from the previous tree is removed, whether it was diseased or not.

Utilizing the mulch is a very good idea. Trees grown in landscape environments tend to live a rather sterile existance and can generally use all the organic matter we can put back into the soil.

DMc and SMc

I like your recommendation.

I use a green mulch collected from the landscape crew to mulch landscape trees in spots where aesthetics is not a concern. These grass clippings are 3-5 days old by the time I use them.

Nitrogen taken up by "green" mulches are released back into the soil as they break down. It all balances out over time. These same mulches add organics to the soil as they break down.

If the possibility of nitrogen loss is a problem for you, simply adding high nitrogen fertilizers to compensate will solve it. Just don't add too much fertilizer at any one time.
I've used wood mulches for years. Occassionally, I'll broadcast a high N urea over freshly ground mulch. I've never had a burning problem nor any signs of nitrogen deficency.

Thanks for those replies.

That was the answer I was looking for.The tree that would ground was in excellent health other than the limbs were splitting and during high wind and rain they had a habit of breaking apart.I was planning on laying down some plastic under the mulch to help keep the weeds and grass from growing there.So I suppose that would remedy the mulch of depleting the soil.
I am short on money this time planting and noticed while I was cleaning the carport I have a 5 gallon bucket of 10-10-10.Is this good enough fertilizer for say six foot freshly planted trees?

Last edited:
That fertilizer will likely be just fine. Easy does it. Dont over do it. Also, I can confirm or deny this fact but I have heard the #1 reason for new trees to die within a year is over watering. Dont drown your tree every day. Yeah it need water but it also need air to get to the roots. trees dont have gills.

Greenthumb,

Forget the plastic. You want the nutrients that will gradually work down into the soil to become available to your tree. You also want any natural moisture to get to your tree and the natural gas exchange to occur.

Notice a forest floor...heavily mulched in layered organic matter, alive with activity. We can learn alot of what a tree needs by visiting where they grow naturally and the environment they create for themselves.

Personally, we are not big fans of fertilizing a freshly, transplanted tree. (Unless your soil is definitely deficient in known nutrients.) The mulch, gradually breaking down helps stablize and enrich the soil.

And the two most common factors in trees failing are: 1) planting too deep and 2) inappropriate watering program.

DMc and SMc

I was planning on laying down some plastic under the mulch to help keep the weeds and grass from growing there.So I suppose that would remedy the mulch of depleting the soil.
I am short on money this time planting and noticed while I was cleaning the carport I have a 5 gallon bucket of 10-10-10.Is this good enough fertilizer for say six foot freshly planted trees?

Spreading old newspaper will kill all weed seeds underneath before it decomposes, yet still allow needed nutrient and water flow. The fert you have will be fine to aid in the temporary nitrogen depletion caused by the decomposing chips.

Spreading old newspaper will kill all weed seeds underneath before it decomposes, yet still allow needed nutrient and water flow. The fert you have will be fine to aid in the temporary nitrogen depletion caused by the decomposing chips.

Agree 100% ^^ good idea rbtree, also great advice from D Mc to which I'd like to add several things;
Care should be taken not to pile mulch around the base of the tree (I think 6"-12" is close enough) from what I understand this could become habitat for unwanted pests and fungi that could attack the tree.
Secondly don't over mulch, I believe 2-4" deep is sufficient and once it has broken down just add to the surface.
Lastly, get a soil test kit (cheap like borscht) and try to adjust your ph etc. to suit the species you intend to plant. Try to use as much of the soil the tree came with and not disturb the rootball too much other than unwinding the outside roots that may have wrapped around the ball.
If you have a compost bin, dirt pile, dormant/fallowing garden, mix that extra mulch into it and turn it over every so often, soil loves it imo.
Just a thought or two fer the morning, as always I stand to be corrected.

:cheers: and happy planting!

Serge

THANKS FOR All the help.

I got to admit,this website has been more help to me than any other I have visited and with many experienced people here.Thanks all for your help.I compiled all the info from you all and have a good idea of what to do.Thanks to sprig for the(leave 6 to 12" of mulch away from the trunk)I have also read that somewhere.I notice Many people run the mulch right up to the tree but perhaps those trees have been growing for quiet a while.Now all I got to do is decide what type of tree to plant.:crazy1: :crazy1:

Back