Just How Dangerous Is This?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReggieT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A friend of mine brought this tree to my attention...he's contemplating tackling it providing the money is right.
I told him I was uninterested...no time & no desire...(back in School Full time).

As you can see the mess the owner did...what methods or course of action would you recommend in a case such as this?
He has more zeal...than skills.:popcorn:

View attachment 273038View attachment 273039View attachment 273040

Thanks
Reggie

Looks like its all done. Pound a couple of wedge's in that baby.

Ah! That magical sloping back cut that will do miraculous things!

Tell him to call a pro and to say some prayers until the pro arrives.

Harry K
Done told him that!
He wants to do an expanded face cut or something he saw on YOUTUBE....:popcorn:

For yer bud:

LONG line/cable as high up as you can get it, to truck hitch far enough away to be out of reach, then a gentle sustained tug in 4WD if available. Nail it when it starts down; then don't look back.

The work in the picture sure marks an idiot. Lotsa luck keeping the body count down. :msp_ohmy:

This should cost the owner an extra 30%, minimum.

Make new cuts above all the mess and and drop it 90 degrees from the so called hinge that the previous attempt set up. Put it to fall right about where the last camera angle is at. Straight away from the house, then clean up the mess of a stump. That is an alternative to the pulling with a pickup, either one is a good plan for what is someones else's mess.

If y'all lived a closer I'd come take it down for nothing. A rope or cable works but wedges work too. Or if you have a tall enough truck, back into it to nudge it over. Regardless, I wouldn't touch it with a chainsaw. It's too unstable as it stands.

I used to make that slash cut until I learned the error of my ways here on AS!:msp_w00t: Now it's humbolt or conventional all the way.

I'd skip the truck nudge. That thing could still fall the wrong way. Just sayin'...

I'd skip the truck nudge. That thing could still fall the wrong way. Just sayin'...

Yep, I thought about that after I posted it.

In looking at the pictures, the face cut is cukka. Since I can't see the other side of the tree, it is also possible the hinge isn't straight across either.

The best bet would be just rope it an pull it over.

I agree. I wouldn't put my old truck or any vehicle near that mess. Quick way to die. Rope it and pull it. Wouldn't touch it with a chainsaw either. Hope there aren't any strong winds in the forecast.

I hate to say this but this "work" makes me feel really good about the trees I've dropped. :)

Unless your buddy has pro training I wouldn't go near this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I wouldn't put my old truck or any vehicle near that mess. Quick way to die. Rope it and pull it. Wouldn't touch it with a chainsaw either. Hope there aren't any strong winds in the forecast.

I hate to say this but this "work" makes me feel really good about the trees I've dropped. :)

Unless your buddy has pro training I wouldn't go near this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's got training alright mostly Evans Williams and Jack Daniels...which always accompany him on outings!:rolleyes2:
Does "Red Green" count??:msp_biggrin:

Is it just me that thinks this tree is pretty short with no top?
Just stick a wedge in the sloping back cut and finish the face cut and push it over by hand.
I just don't see the major death threat here. Sorry. I'm sure I'll take a beating on this one but it can't be more than 20 feet tall!
Maybe my monitor is too small:msp_scared:

How long since that cut was made? Looks old. As others said throw a rope up there and pull it over by whatever means necessary. Get that thing on the ground before it decides to come over on it's own and becomes a serious problem..no that it isn't right now.

The cut does look old, also the tree looks the top was broken out a long time ago. I would cut this down because the tree is producing shoots very typical what happens when a tree is topped. I would put a notch above where the old one was facing the direction I would want it to be felled. You could put a line in the tree just throw your throw line right over the broken part at the top run my rigging line back over running bowline above my knotch and attarched to something pulling nice and easy on the pull or have some one pulling it just slow and easy and don't forget those side relief cuts.

Back