Just How Dangerous Is This?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a hard one. It mite be hard to get a rope on to pull it down. But I do not know how stable it is. I had a tree like that in school one day that a 1st year cut. I used a wedge and hit it with an axe till it went over. But you could put a rope on the side of the tree that is away from the house and have some one pull it just to some what help it to stay away from the house. It is hard to see the back cut and the hinge so it is hard to say exactly how to cut it my looking at the picture.

You're linking to a 10 year old profile here. I've done a few things since 2003 when I registered. Not falling trees all day, every day, mind you (and many of those trees wern't used as sawlogs), but I know enough to know what I'm talking about.

Here's the funny thing though. I'm arguing about a stupid point with a guy who has had the time to to go on the internet and comment over TEN THOUSAND times on this website. Tell me, do you carry the computer with you when you are out in the forest as a "professional logger" so you can make fun of "firewood hacks" like me? Do you post on arboristsite.com during your coffee breaks between falling three foot pines and maples? Please teach me how to cut down trees with the saw you hold in your one hand while also posting comments on this website all day with the other hand.

:msp_thumbdn:

You're right, you are arguing a stupid point. That's up to you, though. Like I told you before, if you want to use splitting wedges to fall a tree, you just go right ahead.

And, sad to say, I can't log and post at the same time. I take my lap top with me sometimes but I can't always get a signal. I'm retired, well...semi-retired and when I'm not working I spend some spare time here. Right now I'm working again for awhile so I won't be on here very much.

And there's no need for you to feel bad about being a firewood hack. I'm sure that eventually your skill and experience levels will increase to the point where when somebody calls you that you won't get your feelings hurt. Or, then again, maybe not.

Have a nice day, I'm going to go spend some time with the grownups now.

Pull the damn tree over already!!! I want pics of it on the ground

How about:

Hillwilliam with a chainsaw

Carbon offset coordinator

Chief warmth facilitator

Tree dis-assembly associate

Cellulose account executive

Short wavelength colored sacral area.

Wood slinger

Thanks,

Dan

Interesting debate over steel wedges. Way back 50 years ago, steel wedges was the only kind my Dad used, and he was a pro logger in the 30's. I remember they were dangerous too. Plastic is more user friendly, as the saying goes.:D

It's funny how things move along on a thread. Steel wedges huh?
I'll tell ya a story.
I started cutting firewood last winter seriously. Hack? you bet ya! I cut just for myself.

My BIL let me cut wood on his property and I found this giant white/American elm.
There is some good firewood I thought. I set to work cutting it down. Well I cut that elm all the way to about 3/4" of holding wood. It would not fall over. This elm was about 22" diameter and 80 feet tall.
I was nervous as all get out. Thought for sure that thing would fall over.
I had no wedges. I did not know they even sold those nifty plastic wedges that fit so nice in your back pocket. So I ran up to his house and started digging through the tool box and came out with enough crap to pound into that cut and eventually that tree fell over.
I thought to myself if I could make a big ol wedge then I could pound that in and make the tree go WEEEEEEE! (had no idea you could buy them that's how green I was)
So I went to work the next day and made two big fat steel wedges out of some scrap 1/4" steel plate.
They weigh about 2 lbs a piece. This was about the time I joined AS.
I then learned about wedges and using them to prop open the round while bucking and so I decided to use my steel wedge.
First round, as I get near the bottom I pop the steel wedge in the top and as soon as the chain gets through the round the wedge falls down and whacks my new chain. Instant education!

Now I pretty much use the wedge for busting up half noodled logs rounds. Once in awhile if f I'm felling and I drive in my plastic wedge and the tree decides to stay put I'll bring out the big steel monster and drive that baby into the cut with my 6 pounder. It usually falls then.
I love that steel wedge. It reminds me of how much I don't know!
The first two pics are of that dang old elm of which I will never cut another! UGH!
The last picture if you click on it you can see my trusty ol steel wedge. That thing will last forever.

View attachment 274078
View attachment 274079
View attachment 274080

It's funny how things move along on a thread. Steel wedges huh?
I'll tell ya a story.
I started cutting firewood last winter seriously. Hack? you bet ya! I cut just for myself.

My BIL let me cut wood on his property and I found this giant white/American elm.
There is some good firewood I thought. I set to work cutting it down. Well I cut that elm all the way to about 3/4" of holding wood. It would not fall over. This elm was about 22" diameter and 80 feet tall.
I was nervous as all get out. Thought for sure that thing would fall over.
I had no wedges. I did not know they even sold those nifty plastic wedges that fit so nice in your back pocket. So I ran up to his house and started digging through the tool box and came out with enough crap to pound into that cut and eventually that tree fell over.
I thought to myself if I could make a big ol wedge then I could pound that in and make the tree go WEEEEEEE! (had no idea you could buy them that's how green I was)
So I went to work the next day and made two big fat steel wedges out of some scrap 1/4" steel plate.
They weigh about 2 lbs a piece. This was about the time I joined AS.
I then learned about wedges and using them to prop open the round while bucking and so I decided to use my steel wedge.
First round, as I get near the bottom I pop the steel wedge in the top and as soon as the chain gets through the round the wedge falls down and whacks my new chain. Instant education!

Now I pretty much use the wedge for busting up half noodled logs rounds. Once in awhile if f I'm felling and I drive in my plastic wedge and the tree decides to stay put I'll bring out the big steel monster and drive that baby into the cut with my 6 pounder. It usually falls then.
I love that steel wedge. It reminds me of how much I don't know!
The first two pics are of that dang old elm of which I will never cut another! UGH!
The last picture if you click on it you can see my trusty ol steel wedge. That thing will last forever.

View attachment 274078
View attachment 274079
View attachment 274080

Great lesson...appreciate cha!:rock:

Latest posts

Back