Just How Dangerous Is This?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the point of that hypodermic needle like back cut any way? Keep the tree from falling over back wards? Keep you guessing when it does sit back and pinch your bar? "Is it going to fall away from or on top of me as I hope to out run a hundred feet of falling tree?"

Not according to your profile, you're not. Firewood hack...maybe...but not a logger by any stretch of the imagination.

So, Bob, are you saying that anyone who deals only in firewood is a hack?? Seems a bit derogatory if you ask me. Or maybe my definition of hack is different than yours?

Ted

Not according to your profile, you're not. Firewood hack...maybe...but not a logger by any stretch of the imagination.

So, Bob, are you saying that anyone who deals only in firewood is a hack?? Seems a bit derogatory if you ask me. Or maybe my definition of hack is different than yours?

Ted

No, the term "hack" has specific applications. I've seen some firewood people who were very professional, both in their methods, their skill, and their attitude.

I've also seen some "hacks"...and I'm sure you have too.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with the term...unless they happen to be hacks.:laugh:

http://www.arboristsite.com/member.php?u=3263

Maybe he's a Farmer Logger?

I like to think of myself as "one who practices the fine art of firewood collection and processing"
(with varing degress of success on any given day)
:rolleyes2:

Two wedges fall in the forest, one made of steel on of plastic...which one makes it out?

Differing materials will not matter as long as they are rigid, the same angle of plane will provide the same amount of lift regardless of material. Only application for Aluminum wedges I've ever seen was used in sending eight ton filters to Africa for the diamond mines, the wedges were drove under the feet of the unit to jamb it to the crate and then tensioned to distort a bit for no movement during the long trip there, of course the guys took some home to try in their firewooding operations that probably lasted 10-15 hits before mushrooming.
Steel wedges are optimal for splitting wood, not felling since there is an unacceptable risk of contact with a chain and increased risk of projectile ejection during the driving process. I have also seen wood wedges used by some of my dads friends in the early 80's...then again these were the same firewood hacks that spent every lunch break cutting up pallets(not that that is bad)

As far as the wedge that makes it out of the forest? Both are picked up by a meth head but he is pissed when the scrapyard guy puts a magnet on the plastic one and hands it back to him...

I've never seen any faller use metal wedges for falling. I know they do somewhere. Plastic is used here. No meth folks will go where the fallers work either. I have picked up many a plastic, worn out, cut into wedge. Believe me, it is a good thing they don't use metal wedges. One factor is that the trees are smaller than they used to be.

I could post the wedging video.....again. But I won't.

Now, will you get that unacceptable stump on the ground? Please? Put a college forestry class in that yard. Pushing snags over is a group exercise and a traditional thing done on field trips to the woods.

I've never seen any faller use metal wedges for falling. I know they do somewhere. Plastic is used here. No meth folks will go where the fallers work either. I have picked up many a plastic, worn out, cut into wedge. Believe me, it is a good thing they don't use metal wedges. One factor is that the trees are smaller than they used to be.

I could post the wedging video.....again. But I won't.

Now, will you get that unacceptable stump on the ground? Please? Put a college forestry class in that yard. Pushing snags over is a group exercise and a traditional thing done on field trips to the woods.
He's chosen to try and buck it upright as she stands:bang::popcorn:.....

Anybody watch that helicopter logging show?
I think a helicopter is the only solution safe solution.

I'm headed to the store to get some steel splitting wedges and a plastic skiptooth chain. I've got a christmas tree to dispose of.

Isn't this the firewood forum?

Last edited:

http://www.arboristsite.com/member.php?u=3263

You're linking to a 10 year old profile here. I've done a few things since 2003 when I registered. Not falling trees all day, every day, mind you (and many of those trees wern't used as sawlogs), but I know enough to know what I'm talking about.

Here's the funny thing though. I'm arguing about a stupid point with a guy who has had the time to to go on the internet and comment over TEN THOUSAND times on this website. Tell me, do you carry the computer with you when you are out in the forest as a "professional logger" so you can make fun of "firewood hacks" like me? Do you post on arboristsite.com during your coffee breaks between falling three foot pines and maples? Please teach me how to cut down trees with the saw you hold in your one hand while also posting comments on this website all day with the other hand.

:msp_thumbdn:

Latest posts

Back