Just starting in firewood sales

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello from the new guy...

I am just starting this year in firewood sales. Any advice?

I have been cutting and buring wood for some time. Geeting ready to buy a gas splitter. Equipment is covered.

Questions to you folks who sell:
Do you just sell firewood, or do you also sell packaged (or not) campfire wood? How about Chimnea wood? If ya do, how do you package yours?

You sell your wood buy the FULL cord? ( I know most states have rules for that, mine included) Or perhaps are you selling smaller sizes for people who can't afford the whole cord or need the full cord?

You cut on shares? what ratio?

Thanks for the assitance.

if your state has a firewood size rule... better go by it.

if not, just put an ad out that says "firewood for sale. $XX Call yaddy yaddy"

i'd shoot for 5+ cords to make it worth your while
and to cover some splitter costs and fuel costs

if your state has a firewood size rule... better go by it.

if not, just put an ad out that says "firewood for sale. $XX Call yaddy yaddy"

i'd shoot for 5+ cords to make it worth your while
and to cover some splitter costs and fuel costs

Well we DO have the firewood rule, but it seems it isn't enforced as sellers advertise "face cord" and "rick", and occationally "truckload". Come to think of it, I haven't seen "cord" advertised.

I am hoping for 10+ cords, at least.

be prepared to do some work and sweat and bleed a little...

even with a gas hydraulic splitter 10+ cords is a sh!t load of work

:bringit:

I allready have 4 cords bucked for sale, that needs split. The pad for stacking (concrete bottom) has room for 10 cords.

I am moving my own firewood pile away from to keep sale wood, and my burn wood seperate.

I have two cords of logs on the ground by the pad now, ready for bucking. Splitting with a gas splitter doesn't take so long, it is STACKING all that fuel that sucks.

Generally stock 16" wood. Offer diferent length wood if you want to, but if it is shorter than 16" (i.e. 12"), charge extra as there is more work/gas/effort put into it. Twentyfour inch wood I would price out the same as 16". (Less gas to cut up, more effort to split.)

Well we DO have the firewood rule, but it seems it isn't enforced as sellers advertise "face cord" and "rick", and occationally "truckload". Come to think of it, I haven't seen "cord" advertised.

I am hoping for 10+ cords, at least.

You got that right.. most people who call it a cord.. when it's only a face cord, or less..

There's a ton of discussion on this in the search feature, for sure.

Stacking? Why bother? Find a typical amount of split and sel by the piece, count and toss.

HANDLING is a profit buster. Hadnle the material as few times as you can.

Generally stock 16" wood. Offer diferent length wood if you want to, but if it is shorter than 16" (i.e. 12"), charge extra as there is more work/gas/effort put into it. Twentyfour inch wood I would price out the same as 16". (Less gas to cut up, more effort to split.)

Yeah. I figured the 16" length for sale wood. I have been cutting mine in the past at 18, but since the idea of selling wood came, I have been cutting all my wood at 16. OWB are somewhat popular here.

I have been kicking around the idea of selling green and seasoned wood. Some guys (OWB ) perfer wood greener. Green wood, would of coarse be cheaper.

I don't know if I even want to mess with 12" as I belive nobody would really request it. I want to do chimnea wood and campfire wood though.

There's a ton of discussion on this in the search feature, for sure.

Stacking? Why bother? Find a typical amount of split and sel by the piece, count and toss.

HANDLING is a profit buster. Hadnle the material as few times as you can.

I can't measure a cord unless it is stacked. I don't want anyone feeling cheated. I am going to buy a dual axle trailer, in hopes of being able to haul two cords at a time. After I get the trailer set up, and can get it marked for each cord, 1/2 cords too, then I will consider not stacking. That will likely be next season.

yep it also helps well around here to have people skills thats why i let my grandpa do all the talking. but what i have always done is have fun doing it!!!:spam:

I sell a little

I have a older dumptruck, and built the rack to hold 1 cord tossed in loose (190 cf), or 1 1/2 cords stacked in tight. My 1 cord measure is about 12 cf too much (about 4 arm loads too much).

Stacking is time consuming.... I prefer to just toss it in there.

-Pat

I agree with Patrick and GeeVee abou the stacking. The only wood I stack is my own. Using whatever you use to deliver, truck or trailer, get an idea of what a full load looks like and add a little extra and you can't go wrong. There is a tremendous amount of time and energy wasted stacking and if you're delivering it who's going to know. The time you spend stacking could be used to produce more firewood or just doing something fun or relaxing.

I can't measure a cord unless it is stacked. I don't want anyone feeling cheated. I am going to buy a dual axle trailer, in hopes of being able to haul two cords at a time. After I get the trailer set up, and can get it marked for each cord, 1/2 cords too, then I will consider not stacking. That will likely be next season.

Good deal, sounds like your an honest person. I would do the same, stack it once, then into the dumper, measure and mark it, bingo. Good Luck

Good luck. I have been sold out for quite some time. If your state prohibits the use of the term "face cord" just sell it by 1/3rds of cords(which is a face cord 4x8x16". I dont stack and measure each load. I throw in extra (cause I do stack at the customers house). I figure in the time I save stacking, and then throwing it into the trailer, its easier to split a few more pieces.

One rule of thumb to follow when starting your firewood business. HONESTY.

Sell only good seasoned wood, dont try and pass off 6 month old wood as seasoned. Word travels quickly, good or bad.

Give the customer what they pay for, plus an arm load. A customer wont call you back if they feel that they got shorted, even if you are able to show them they have a full cord, but they stacked a whole lot tighter than normal.

Show up with your load when you say you will. During the busy season its easy to schedule in more than you can handle to make the sale, then to find out you aint going to get to everyone that day.

Just my two cents worth.

Good luck. I have been sold out for quite some time. If your state prohibits the use of the term "face cord" just sell it by 1/3rds of cords(which is a face cord 4x8x16". I dont stack and measure each load. I throw in extra (cause I do stack at the customers house). I figure in the time I save stacking, and then throwing it into the trailer, its easier to split a few more pieces.

To be honest, I would rather sell wood by the cord, rather then messing around with partial cords. I am sure there is going to be a few customers that won't buy a full cord (laker's most likely) so for partial cords, they are going to pay more. Gonna cost me the same in gas if I pull one cord or a half. They will make up the difference.

As I said earlier, I am stacking this year only. I need to get marks put in the trailer to see how much a cord is in it, and partials. I don't mind giving a couple of arm loads extra, but I refuse to short someone. I fugure the extra labor I expend this year, will pay dividends in the future years.

One rule of thumb to follow when starting your firewood business. HONESTY.

Sell only good seasoned wood, dont try and pass off 6 month old wood as seasoned. Word travels quickly, good or bad.

Give the customer what they pay for, plus an arm load. A customer wont call you back if they feel that they got shorted, even if you are able to show them they have a full cord, but they stacked a whole lot tighter than normal.

Show up with your load when you say you will. During the busy season its easy to schedule in more than you can handle to make the sale, then to find out you aint going to get to everyone that day.

Just my two cents worth.

Thanks for the advice.

I appreciate all the replies.

Back