Just wanted to introduce myself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been sawing since somewhere around 1994. We had an apple orchard in the family and my parents bought it in 1994. Every year we would cut 100 or so trees. I started out using a stihl 026. Great saw. Alot of power and light. Problem with that saw was the chain turned all the time or the saw died. It was interesting keeping it going and stepping over brush. Shortly there after we traded the saw in on a stihl 025. In my opinion an underpowered POS.

After I quit working at the farm full time I got into survey for the DOT. I would get on roadway projects that would burn all of the wood. If I talked to the right people I could get some logs. In the past I had some logs sawn with a bandsaw mill so I knew something about sawing logs. I bought a stihl 044 with 36" bar and granberg mill. It took me some time to figure out how to best get the saw cutting boards. Extra oiler made a world of difference. I used the 044 for a few years a maybe 500-1000 bf of lumber. The 044 works with the mill but it is underpowered for this. I mentioned this to my father and like a week later there was a nice shiny Stihl 066 waiting for the mill. Since then I probably sawed up another 500-1000bf. This was all between 1996-2003. Since then I have really run out of room for lumber and I haven't been looking for logs as much.

Over the last few years I have been helping my father cut fire wood for him. Maybe once a month now. The last few time I have wish I had a smaller saw for limbing and cutting smaller stuff on the ground. I am not a large guy so the 044 wears me out after a hour or so and also it gets dangerous with saw when fatigued. So I bought a Stihl 260 pro back in May. I have put on 4 hrs or so I really like the saw. Well worth the money.

Just to comment on my 044. I have had it since 1996 and I have never had a problem with it. I can't imagine how many hours I have on it. I hope the 260 works just as well.

Chris

Thanks for the welcome

I have no reason now to get a smaller saw since the 026 is so easy to use. I have thought of getting a larger saw then the 066 for milling but I don't know if it would make enough of difference in sawing time.

Chris

I have been sawing since somewhere around 1994. We had an apple orchard in the family and my parents bought it in 1994. Every year we would cut 100 or so trees. I started out using a stihl 026. Great saw. Alot of power and light. Problem with that saw was the chain turned all the time or the saw died. It was interesting keeping it going and stepping over brush. Shortly there after we traded the saw in on a stihl 025. In my opinion an underpowered POS.

After I quit working at the farm full time I got into survey for the DOT. I would get on roadway projects that would burn all of the wood. If I talked to the right people I could get some logs. In the past I had some logs sawn with a bandsaw mill so I knew something about sawing logs. I bought a stihl 044 with 36" bar and granberg mill. It took me some time to figure out how to best get the saw cutting boards. Extra oiler made a world of difference. I used the 044 for a few years a maybe 500-1000 bf of lumber. The 044 works with the mill but it is underpowered for this. I mentioned this to my father and like a week later there was a nice shiny Stihl 066 waiting for the mill. Since then I probably sawed up another 500-1000bf. This was all between 1996-2003. Since then I have really run out of room for lumber and I haven't been looking for logs as much.

Over the last few years I have been helping my father cut fire wood for him. Maybe once a month now. The last few time I have wish I had a smaller saw for limbing and cutting smaller stuff on the ground. I am not a large guy so the 044 wears me out after a hour or so and also it gets dangerous with saw when fatigued. So I bought a Stihl 260 pro back in May. I have put on 4 hrs or so I really like the saw. Well worth the money.

Just to comment on my 044. I have had it since 1996 and I have never had a problem with it. I can't imagine how many hours I have on it. I hope the 260 works just as well.

Chris

Looks like you won't be needing that 066 anymore. I'll trade you a nice small 015AV for it. Even has a case!

Welcome to the site - nice post!

Nice try

I have been getting the itch to mill again. I have come across a 18" walnut yard tree, 24" american elm and 22" rock elm to mill

Another use I have for the saws is I turn bowls on my lathe. First I cut a flat spot using 20" chunk on the bark and then I split a in half cutting with the grain. Then I trace an octagon on the slab and then cut it out with the 044. Kind of dangerous but it works. I do this standing up with a boot on the slab. Very hard on the back and legs.

Welcome to the site.

AS is really a great place to learn a lot from guys who are both knowledgeable and generous with their time, and to convince yourself to spend lots of money buying saws and saw related stuff that you don't really need. If you hang out here a lot you are destined for at least the 4 saw plan.

Belated Welcome!

The 260 should treat you fine though i found the one I ran rather enemic compared to the (non-pro) 270 I have beat the crap out of, and it just didn't feel as good in my hands, rather too light and tight, but each to their own.
Enjoy your cutting, be safe and smart, do not ever take forgranted the destructive power of a moving chain, too many have, and with regrets.

:cheers:

Serge

Shortly there after we traded the saw in on a stihl 025. In my opinion an underpowered POS.
..........( select)
Since then I have really run out of room for lumber and I haven't been looking for logs as much.
Chris

Welcome from me too Chris.Have to agree about 025 compared to 26 but if you can be bothered it could be beefed up with rings and port.Find mine still has its uses for light work.
Also you might be able to make a few contacts to off load some of yr lumber
and use $'s for other projects . I keep refining the choice rarer and specific project timbers to keep. Sounds like many of us mill a swag and then as time passes wonder......
Lastly have you got the dual port cover for yr 66 YET :kilt: :)
- Graeme

The 260 should treat you fine though i found the one I ran rather enemic compared to the (non-pro) 270 I have beat the crap out of, and it just didn't feel as good in my hands, rather too light and tight, but each to their own.
Enjoy your cutting, be safe and smart, do not ever take forgranted the destructive power of a moving chain, too many have, and with regrets.

:cheers:

Serge

I have had a few eye wakening things happen with the 026 that last time I was out. With the 044 I am always very careful because of the power plus the weight of the saw. With the 026 it feels like my fathers tiny echos but it is still a fast reving powerful saw that could get away from you very quickly if not careful.

Chris

Welcome from me too Chris.Have to agree about 025 compared to 26 but if you can be bothered it could be beefed up with rings and port.Find mine still has its uses for light work.
Also you might be able to make a few contacts to off load some of yr lumber
and use $'s for other projects . I keep refining the choice rarer and specific project timbers to keep. Sounds like many of us mill a swag and then as time passes wonder......
Lastly have you got the dual port cover for yr 66 YET :kilt: :)
- Graeme

I have had alot of problems parting with the lumber I cut. All that 25" wide lumber is like sacred to me.

I have not modded any of my saws. I am assuming the dual port cover would allow better air flow for more power.

Enlighten me to the mods. I have not interest in tear the saws apart to do the mods though. What is the point of moding the saws. They all have more then enough power for what I need. Maybe the 066 could use more for milling. The 044 still does what I ask of it without problems
Chris

Last edited:
I have had alot of problems parting with the lumber I cut. All that 25" wide lumber is like sacred to me.

I have not modded any of my saws. I am assuming the dual port cover would allow better air flow for more power.

Enlighten me to the mods. I have not interest in tear the saws apart to do the mods though. What is the point of moding the saws. They all have more then enough power for what I need. Maybe the 066 could use more for milling. The 044 still does what I ask of it without problems
Chris

Mods or duel porting have big following here on AS....I will leave the benefits to others.Tho muff mod will keep it cooler...less eng fatigue etc....Not a big effort to do !!!! lots info on how to and the benefits ( forum searches).I can't be bothered to do my 025 YET.
cheers

Last edited:
Back