Kansas "baby" tree's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbojango

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So if you big boys back east think you're the only ones with "real hardwood" I've got the score to prove you all wrong. Cut 4 pickup loads (probably 3 cords or so) in under an hour with 1 saw. Hedge tree's only grow so big they told me.... yeah, right. My pics are of a Stihl 441 sporting a 32" bar w/ a semi-chisel chain. I've never liked a semi but for hedge they seem to cut about 3 times as long and are just a tad slower. i think the tree was 39" at the stump but at DBH or whatever they call it because of the way the tree started to fan out it was almost 60". IMG203.jpgIMG204.jpgIMG205.jpgIMG206.jpgIMG203.jpgIMG204.jpgIMG205.jpgIMG206.jpg

I see you got yourself some nice btu's there! Good job on the score. I can't for the life of me recall anyone on here saying guys on the east coast only have the real hardwood. I remember a certain dangerous tree drop thread where some east vs. west coast comments were dropped, but most of that was patched up at the end of the thread. ;)

Yup, not many big ones left on the east compared to the west. Another downfall to age.

Nice score, should give you some real nice heat.

We'll see, i hauled 2 loads of it home in the last 3 days and my "buddies" (the ones that only show up when they know you're the only retard that cuts wood) got 2 loads also. I already have it in the stove and its burning good enough for a snow storm. I'm sure this thread will soon become a "you didn't let it season!" adventure... and no, i didn't wait on it to season, never have never will, have an airtight smoke dragon that puts out less smoke than the neighbors EPA approved stove and they only burn seasoned wood.

The worst part is this tree isn't the biggest one, it just happens to be the one i went "huh, outta take some pics of this thing" so when i drop the 8 or 10 more that big and bigger i'll try and remember to get them on here. I'm not sure anyone has seen very many hedges over 35" as i haven't seen more than 30 in my life.

Nice tree, I'd like to see pics of the bigger ones.

So if you big boys back east think you're the only ones with "real hardwood" I've got the score to prove you all wrong. Cut 4 pickup loads (probably 3 cords or so) in under an hour with 1 saw. Hedge tree's only grow so big they told me.... yeah, right. My pics are of a Stihl 441 sporting a 32" bar w/ a semi-chisel chain. I've never liked a semi but for hedge they seem to cut about 3 times as long and are just a tad slower. i think the tree was 39" at the stump but at DBH or whatever they call it because of the way the tree started to fan out it was almost 60". View attachment 332083View attachment 332084View attachment 332085View attachment 332086View attachment 332083View attachment 332084View attachment 332085View attachment 332086

Ah...Hell Yeah! I Love hedge...just drove by a house yesterday to admire some monster hedge bottoms...I had to let lay, because I don't have the hardware to harvest them...UNLESS I slam a 28" on my Stihl 034 with semi-chisel & 20" on my 025!!! :rolleyes:
But...I do have a pawn shop buddy who gonna let me have a real nice Husky 395XP for about $400 IF it comes up for non-renewal...hmmm:chainsaw:
That was about a year and 3 months when I did haul off about 3 truckloads....HOW HARD WILL THAT REMAINING HEDGE BE BY NOW????:cry:
GREAT JOB AGAIN!!!!!:clap:

If the tree has been laying a year... you'll never cut it. Just find another tree and start over at that point. I have cut some during the winter and left it til the next fall in rounds and it sure splits easier once its dry. But you'd better have it to length or you'll jerk cutters off trying to parry at it.

If the tree has been laying a year... you'll never cut it. Just find another tree and start over at that point. I have cut some during the winter and left it til the next fall in rounds and it sure splits easier once its dry. But you'd better have it to length or you'll jerk cutters off trying to parry at it.
:cry:DON'T...SAY...THAT!!!
I must Master & Burn this Hedge...mentally its wearing me out ...jimbojango...IT IS PERSONAL NOW!! lol
THESE ARE THE CULPRITS!!!
:IMAG0021.jpg

you can try... but when you need a new chain and maybe a new bar (from pushing down to hard) you'll go "oh man, that jimbo guy was right"

JIMBO...just got off the phone with a "Lumber-jack" friend of mine who swears up & down you are right...but I'm fixing to take a little survey via new thread entitled Osage Orange/Hedge BET!!
My friend I just made a "small wager"....
He knows nothing about the Husky 395XP...I'm picking up....hahahahahahha

JIMBO...just got off the phone with a "Lumber-jack" friend of mine who swears up & down you are right...but I'm fixing to take a little survey via new thread entitled Osage Orange/Hedge BET!!
My friend I just made a "small wager"....
He knows nothing about the Husky 395XP...I'm picking up....hahahahahahha

I don't care if you get an 880... you'd better get a ripping chain and figure on it taking a while. :)

Several years ago I worked with some loggers that had a contract for sycamore. We cut for months in southern Kansas and northern Oklahoma taking trees out of bottoms that were over 7 foot DBH.

Back