Katsura Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I spoke with some of you re: planting a sawtooth oak to memorialize my son and I'm moving away from that; currently, I'm looking at a katsura to plant since they do well in my area and would make a great climbing tree for future tykes. Anyone here ever cultivate these? I've seen the sites on the web, but I'm looking more for personal opinions.

nice ornamental

Leaves like a redbud, nice compact shape, not ever a climbing tree.
Your best selection will depend on the location you are planting it at.
If you want a long lived tree and the location will remain undisturbed and has good loamy soil, try a beech. Huge mature trees are spectacular.

Fagus grandiflora - American
Fagus sylvatica - European

Katsura is good but protect the trunk from sun scald and/or frost cracking early on. May need supplemental irrigation during drought until well established. Spicy smelling leaves in autumn and good color too. Still, Ginkgo is better.

Elmore, do you know if its possible to secure Katsura w/ basal cuttings? I'm tossed up between attempting basal cutting myself or buying a seedling and hoping its female.

BrianL said:
Elmore, do you know if its possible to secure Katsura w/ basal cuttings? I'm tossed up between attempting basal cutting myself or buying a seedling and hoping its female.

Cuttings taken from young trees should root fairly easy. Wood from older trees is more difficult. Best to get a Ginkgo.

Back