Kevlar reinforced logging boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcinms

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Need some new boots!!
Allright, I figured I'd post this in the chainsaw section to get more hits. I got a little closer to my saw yesterday and had me a good oh **** moment doing something I don't normally do.
Rolled a log over with my foot and was trimming off a small limb when the tip of the bar jumped off the limb and ran up the side of my boot. :msp_scared:

I am now looking for some serious boots. First time this has happened. Mainly because I don't cut near my foot, but for some reason I did yesterday. :msp_confused:
I came out ok, much better than my boot. It went through the leather and just nicked the sock but didn't break skin. Felt like I got hit with a ball peen hammer though. The chain was just sharpened a few cuts before.

My question is about the Kevlar reinforced boots. Do they help prevent cut through. Another question is why do most logging boots have tall heels? Is there an advantage with the tall heels compared to say a regular work boot?
View attachment 274235View attachment 274236

Glad you still have all your toes,not to late for safety protection,they say a dull chain can tear more,thus doing more damage.Either way kevlar boot is better than leather.

I have a pair of the viking ones. They are like a heavy rubber boot. Have not tested them and don't plan to either!

'Logger Style' leather boots or linesman boots have that huge heel to fit a climbing spur shank in there.

Not sure on the boots but would like some info on them. I just bought my 1st pair of chaps due to a close call. Glad you came out ok

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I hope to find something soon. I cut with a buddy of mine Satty, he was decked out wearing all his safety gear, chaps, gloves, hard hat/ear muffs/ face shield thingamajig. I looked down and he had on running shoes. :msp_ohmy: I just shook my head. there's no way I would cut around down trees with snags, vines and such in running shoes. He just grinned.....:rolleyes2:

Found only one chainsaw boot vid on youtube so far. Have you got any links to more?

Chainsaw Boot Test - YouTube

Check out Haix forestry boots - They're leather boots with chainsaw cut resistance and a goretex lining so they stay waterproof even when the leather gets old and cracked

Glad you're okay and thanks for sharing the close call. If people don't talk about these things because of pride or embarassment we'll all think they are urban legends. Talking about it promotes safety. Rep sent. I'll be watching the thread as my boots are worn out and I need a new pair and wanted to upgrade to something with saw protection.

:popcorn:

arbortec

Thanks for the replies, I hope to find something soon. I cut with a buddy of mine Satty, he was decked out wearing all his safety gear, chaps, gloves, hard hat/ear muffs/ face shield thingamajig. I looked down and he had on running shoes. :msp_ohmy: I just shook my head. there's no way I would cut around down trees with snags, vines and such in running shoes. He just grinned.....:rolleyes2:

Found only one chainsaw boot vid on youtube so far. Have you got any links to more?

Chainsaw Boot Test - YouTube

Aquafell Xpert Steel Toecap. Type this on youtube search,these are the boots I have.

Last edited:
I've seen kevlar boots tested in person at trade shows in Europe. Unless the chainsaw is woefully underpowered, boots will not stop them. It's one of the reasons kevlar boots are not required except for training. In practice, they don't work. WHat DOES work are steel-toed boots. But I couldn't imagine wearing those on the side of a mountain all day long...

I've seen kevlar boots tested in person at trade shows in Europe. Unless the chainsaw is woefully underpowered, boots will not stop them. It's one of the reasons kevlar boots are not required except for training. In practice, they don't work. WHat DOES work are steel-toed boots. But I couldn't imagine wearing those on the side of a mountain all day long...

Depends a lot on the class of protection offered – a boot with class 3 protection is going to lessen an injury much more than a boot with class 1 protection (less Kevlar)

As for steelcaps, they’re not so bad. I can’t even remember the last time I had a pair of leather workboots without them. They’re mandatory in the bush here as wellas in parts of some other industries. Only downside to them as far as chainsaw protection goes is that they only really protect your toes

Safety boots

Just got a pair of Swede Pro boots. They have a steel toe, a steel shank, & Kevlar lining all round. They are good quality leather & have plenty of room in the toe-box area & are made in the USA. I have a hard to fit foot (size 6 & wide up front with a narrow heel), & these fit me perfectly. They are breathable &, as such, are not waterproof. This is what I was looking for. Waterproof will make your feet sweat like crazy even if they are gore tex lined. If you are working consistently in swampy conditions, I would not recommend them. The break in period will be easy because of the leather's quality & texture. Fortunately, I have not had any experiences where I have hit them with the saw, so I can't report on how protective they actually are. Haix, carried by Bailey's, is another choice which some really like. I have also seen a pair of Stihl boots. They are also steel toed, steel shanked, & multi-layered with Kevlar. They are an excellent quality leather & are lined & made in the USA. They are at least as high quality as the Swede Pro, or maybe even better.

I had ordered a new pair of chaps from Amazon a week or so again, and was mistakenly shipped a pair of chainsaw boots by accident. I've debated keeping them, they are the Husqvarna models, just don't seem that comfortable. I wear steel toes in the summer, but I don't have any good insulated steel toed boots to wear in the winter time.

Depends a lot on the class of protection offered – a boot with class 3 protection is going to lessen an injury much more than a boot with class 1 protection (less Kevlar)

As for steelcaps, they’re not so bad. I can’t even remember the last time I had a pair of leather workboots without them. They’re mandatory in the bush here as wellas in parts of some other industries. Only downside to them as far as chainsaw protection goes is that they only really protect your toes

The steel toe will protect your toes. The kevlar boot outside the steel toe gives marginally better protection than leather - assuming a relatively weak chainsaw. With a 70cc+ chainsaw, I have seen then cut through the best chainsaw boots like butter. What stops the chainsaw is the kevlar and nylon clogging up the sprocket. In a boot, there is not enough material to do this.

I sell Haix here at my shop, they are really nice boots and really comfortable.

I want to come work in your shop.

They're the best on the market. I climb with them, spike with them and work the ground with them. More comfortable than my slippers. Only reason I take them off is the Missus wont let them on the couch.

The steel toe will protect your toes. The kevlar boot outside the steel toe gives marginally better protection than leather - assuming a relatively weak chainsaw. With a 70cc+ chainsaw, I have seen then cut through the best chainsaw boots like butter. What stops the chainsaw is the kevlar and nylon clogging up the sprocket. In a boot, there is not enough material to do this.

Agreed. They do however give you that time to think; 'I'm a tit and i'm going to take my finger off the throttle.'

If you want to cut yourself with a chainsaw, you will. Just wearing the correct P.P.E (personal protective equiptment) will hinder the saws v's skin ratio.

If you’re determined to cut right through a chainsaw boot you will succeed, but most people stop before they’re halfway through their foot.
Boots with thicker protection are available, but come at the expense of extra weight.

Chainsaw Gumboot Test - YouTube

Need some new boots!!
Allright, I figured I'd post this in the chainsaw section to get more hits. I got a little closer to my saw yesterday and had me a good oh **** moment doing something I don't normally do.
Rolled a log over with my foot and was trimming off a small limb when the tip of the bar jumped off the limb and ran up the side of my boot. :msp_scared:

I am now looking for some serious boots. First time this has happened. Mainly because I don't cut near my foot, but for some reason I did yesterday. :msp_confused:
I came out ok, much better than my boot. It went through the leather and just nicked the sock but didn't break skin. Felt like I got hit with a ball peen hammer though. The chain was just sharpened a few cuts before.

My question is about the Kevlar reinforced boots. Do they help prevent cut through. Another question is why do most logging boots have tall heels? Is there an advantage with the tall heels compared to say a regular work boot?
View attachment 274235View attachment 274236

I bought the HAIX boots from Baily's year when they were on sale, they are saw protecting and very comfortable. They are good ground boots and they seem to be holding up well. I don't mind climbing on just rope with the them but trying to climb with spikes on them really is not the way to go. They have a rubberized toe with steel toe and the rubber is holding up well, plus they are completely water proof.

Latest posts

Back