Kewl old saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought this kewl little saw at a garbage sale a long time ago, the engine was locked up. I found a brand new (old stock) engine somewhere and put it on.

I never could use it though it has a couple teeth broke off the gear drive.

Maybe someone here has used one or was wishing they could just see one again for old times sake? Enjoy :)

j/k those would be bad memorys I think. :censored:

Kansas

Get out the welder and grinder and build ya up some new teeth.

Here is a O&R Mustang gear drive with the same or a similar engine:

attachment.php

This saw was also made by O&R and badged for Ford tractor dealers:

attachment.php

I was told a story about O&R, that they were making model airplane drone engines for the Navy during WWII and when the war was over they had a bunch left over, so started making other stuff with them. There is a site on Yahoo for collectors, and O&R made circle saws, pumps, generators, planers, and other things for this engine as well as saws. I have not confirmed whether the war stuff is true though.
The Ford saw is real clean and hardly used, though I have not tried to run it. An older friend of mine from church was over and saw it and I thought he was going to smash it with a hammer! He finally cooled off and told me why he hated that saw so much. He was a Ford tractor dealer in the '60s. They made the dealers buy a bunch of these for a promotional and if you bought a new tractor you got the saw free. Turned out they were junk and wouldn't run well or for long, so he ended up with a lot of upset customers that were mad because their new saw wouldn't run. He said he finally had to buy them back from the customer, so he lost money on them twice. I guess that explains why this one is in such good shape!!!

Muffler modded...

High Flow air filter...

Looks like you're ready to go racing, don't worry about the broken gear, it will be going so fast it will never miss just one tooth.

Mark

Lol I dont remember if that was my handywork on the pipe or not (hope not as bad as it looks :) ) or if it came that way and the air filter used to fit in that bracket why I didnt put it back there I dont know either? I do have the original parts still maybe it will run again someday for grins?

Kansas

WOW thanks Stihl #1 thats what I was hoping for and then some! That is an interesting story about the drones this engine even looks like a model airplane powerplant now you mention it...

I looked at it close and its even got a vane type governor thats a wild idea! Its a very interesting piece of old machine technology to say the least.

Kansas

another variation

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Carbs are very touchy...but they do have a very cool sound.

Last edited:
Carbs are very touchy...but they do have a very cool sound.

Thanks Scooter thats very kewl you guys have some really fine examples!

I guess now I dug this little saw out I will have to get it running again, its been 20 years or so since I ran it last lol! :)

edit:Fact I bought it in 1983 25 years ago. I was working at an AMC/Jeep dealer at the time and I put it together on my bench on spare company time hehehe! My boss was a good guy and I do good work so I could slide sometimes! (he was a tinkerer also)

Kansas

Last edited:
A lot of interesting products were made with the Ohlsson & Rice engines... model airplanes, eight or ten models of chainsaws badged under several different company names, hedge-trimmers, outboard motors for boats, generators, and probably some other products I don't remember off-hand...
Among the chainsaw models are Chip-a-Saw, Chug-a-Saw, Little Beaver, Mustang (a couple of different ones) Mark II, Mark III, maybe a Mark I... an Aussie Mobileco model, Lancaster Mini 12 and Mini 15... these are all different-styled saws... different outer shapes and designs, but with the O&R engines... I seem to remember that Lombard put the O&R engine in a chainsaw, too...
I have five or six of the different company names of chainsaw models. I think the most uncommon of them include the Comet Industries Comet, the Meier Line, and the Petro Line saw with the upside-down rear handle...

Last edited:
Thanks Old Mac Guy you guys are a wealth of info!

Looks like mine may be a Meier by the color and design of the chain adjuster and the oiler on yours. I have the old engine still I will have to dig it out and see what brand it says.

Kansas

I have an update on this little saw, I dug out the old parts and turns out its about a 1970 vintage Mono Super Light, according to an ad I found on ebay that looks identical to it fwtw.

If someone has more info I would be interested just for s&g.

Kansas

Back