Killed some rats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koa Man

Kahuna giganticus
Reaction score
While trimming a coconut palm the other night, I managed to kill five rats with my cane knife ( which is what we use to trim). After taking out the big one, the four little ones were easy. The adults are quick, but managed to nick this one enough to kill it.

While trimming a coconut palm the other night, I managed to kill five rats with my cane knife ( which is what we use to trim). After taking out the big one, the four little ones were easy. The adults are quick, but managed to nick this one enough to kill it.

poor little things..

Those things are in the tree with you?

Rats, centipedes, ants, coackroachs all like to live in the tops of coconut trees. A few years ago I had a large rat jump on my chest and run up my face. I had scratch marks from his feet on my face and INSIDE my lower lip. I actually had to grab it off me and throw it to the ground.

Rats, centipedes, ants, coackroachs all like to live in the tops of coconut trees. A few years ago I had a large rat jump on my chest and run up my face. I had scratch marks from his feet on my face and INSIDE my lower lip. I actually had to grab it off me and throw it to the ground.

Damn ill pass on the rats in the face while in the tree !!!

KM, I've heard that Hawaii had a huge snake problem sometime prior to WW II. Apparently they brought in mongooses which destroyed the snake population. As a result Hawaii is the only tropical place in the world with no snakes, but you have an abundance of critters such as you describe below.

Any truth to this, and does Hawaii have snakes?

A cane knife to trim palms? Looks like an AK-47 or a flame thrower would be a better choice and you wouldn't have to climb up there to do it.

Damn that's nasty! We got rats up here too, here we call them Squirrels and they can get nasty. Heard a story of a squirrel jumping on a guy and bit his neck like he was going for the juggler. Scared the crap out of him, he thought he was going to bleed to death.

Damn that's nasty! We got rats up here too, here we call them Squirrels and they can get nasty. Heard a story of a squirrel jumping on a guy and bit his neck like he was going for the juggler. Scared the crap out of him, he thought he was going to bleed to death.

Come on your killing me that guy must be yanking your chain!!

I was cleaning up an old wood pile once and a mouse ran up my back under my jacket, out at the neck and jumped off my shoulder. I don't know what he thought about it but I didn't like it.

koa are they a native species or invasive?
Just got back from Hawaii. Great trees there. There are no snakes. A gazillion very awesome types of spiders though! I like spiders.
And Koa is an endemic and endangered native Hawaiian tree.
just stuff I learned last week.

I've been attacked by squirels and a racoon before. the rabies shots is worse that the initial experience

I've been attacked by squirels and a racoon before. the rabies shots is worse that the initial experience

So they actually attacked you and didnt even try to run or what be more specific what happened ive been climbing for many years and all the squirels seem to run i havnt came across a coon in the same tree with me yet so i dont know what it will do!!

When in Honduras in the service, I saw kids go out in the sugar can and kill BIG rats, they would take them home to eat.

So they actually attacked you and didnt even try to run or what be more specific what happened ive been climbing for many years and all the squirels seem to run i havnt came across a coon in the same tree with me yet so i dont know what it will do!!

Well Same with me. i was thinkin I was gonna serve them an eviction and they served me one!I was a climbing contractor to remopve a 40" basswood.It was spring (mid april?)and i noticed a bunch of external nest and holes in the tree. On my wat up i took a 12 inch lead off to get the guys busy and clear up my drop zone. First cut mother ran to the end of the branch and jumped while it was in nidair like they always do. Then i heard the babies sqeALING when the leader hit the ground.Well they get a little more ballsy when their young are around so they were getting pretty close to me and chattering but i didnt think much of it.I got to my TIP started down to my work area I went to throw my lanyard and net thing i Knew i was covered in gray fur and claws. It ended up being about a dozen nesting sites in the tree and they had ganged up on me....

The racoon attack was probably scarier bc i saw him berfore he attacked. I was up a HUGE box elder covered in english ivy In a serious state of decline.The lady was in a "cultural"district and rather eccentric and wanted to keep the tree and the ivy as long as possible. So every year we would come and remove the deaedwood... About my third year doing the tree the top was gone and it was hollow when we removed it. the fourth year i tied in right at our old top cut and started working on this wide,short(er) ,vine covered disater. I had finished all my limb walks and was removing some dead material on the trunk. It was a very tedious job so the groundies didn't have much to do besides watch me and the started screaming .I felt my rope move i thought my TIP failed,I look up and a coon is coming down my line.attacked my face neck shoulder area pretty good. the police/fire/animal control /and the news made it there before the ambulance. Ended up being I was cutting next to his nest inside the trunk. They killed the cooon and had it tested . HO hates me and i have not been back since bc i caused an animal to die.

I was over there for 2 weeks last fall, I should have looked you up, we could have had a mini GTG. I did see a guy on a red scooter with an MS460 strapped on the back, lol.

I had a squirrel get in a truck, we heard funny noises under the seat. My buddy stuck his hand under the seat and it was like the movie Christmas vacation when the squirrel jumps out of the christmas tree. He was screaming like a girl!

attachment.php

You're not even safe in your own home!

I found this killer lurking behind my TV... I managed to get this pic right before the attack!!

Latest posts

Back