King Returns... (Another 066 story)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagonwheeler

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A month or so ago I got an 066 from the owner of a local tree service our family has used for removals over the past 25 years or so. They smoked an 066 and replaced it w/ new so I picked it up for pennies on the dollar - more or less. I first considered reviving it myself, but w/ time and knowledge constraints I decided the best investment was to have one of the list 'surgeons' perform the operation. I didn't want to blow time and money by overlooking something critical.

Yeah, I 'might' have tried it on a Husky...but not a Stihl... :notrolls2:

Enter Lakeside. Lots of capable listers offered parts/help/etc... I just happened to have already leaned on Lakes knowledge in the past and decided to see if he'd fall for my sob story...:cry:

I'm the type of person who, for the most part, knows what I don't know - the delusion of knowledge ended years ago and I got over it.

Lakes attention to details paid back in spades. He noticed grommets missing, small parts either worn or missing that I'd have overlooked (like worn bar stud shoulders), loose muffler bearings and bent johnson rods...well you get the idea. I knew it was in for a new piston/cyl and flywheel but Lake gave it a complete physical - replacing numerous items, repairing a thoroughly thrashed bar cover and repainting it - and refinishing several other parts and baking them to set the paint. New badge and decals, Elasto_start (Yeah baby!!) to replace the "China" pull handle...he didn't do things that weren't 'necessary' for my worksaw - hence the faded top cover and filter cover remained (though with renewed lustre).

This is all to say both a BIG T H A N K S!!!!! And to say that some of these listers like Lake have knowledge oozing from them. They'll notice things at 50 feet that many won't notice after a year of ownership. Don't discount the benefits of guys with YEARS of experience working with and/or on saws.

This is a worksaw and I dont' have any before pics...but it truly is a transformation. What it cost me (though VERY reasonable) is irrelevant - as every saw is unique in what it needs. I elected to go w/ a NEW Stihl piston/cyl over other alternatives. As far as what it was worth? Shipping it to Lake was without question the best value for my dollars spent - I'll spend my time cutting w/ it thank you!

An oversight on my part was to give Lake the go-ahead on the dual port (which will be remidied shortly...)

Haven't put it to wood yet. Recovering from an eye injury and took medical liberty to snap some pics to break the boredom... BOY was it bright out today! Credit my typo's to only having one good eye at the moment...

Chaser

Last edited:
wagonwheeler said:
A month or so ago I got an 066 from the owner of a local tree service our family has used for removals over the past 25 years or so. They smoked an 066 and replaced it w/ new so I picked it up for pennies on the dollar - more or less. I first considered reviving it myself, but w/ time and knowledge constraints I decided the best investment was to have one of the list 'surgeons' perform the operation. I didn't want to blow time and money by overlooking something critical.

Yeah, I 'might' have tried it on a Husky...but not a Stihl... :notrolls2:

Enter Lakeside. Lots of capable listers offered parts/help/etc... I just happened to have already leaned on Lakes knowledge in the past and decided to see if he'd fall for my sob story...:cry:

I'm the type of person who, for the most part, knows what I don't know - the delusion of knowledge ended years ago and I got over it.

Lakes attention to details paid back in spades. He noticed grommets missing, small parts either worn or missing that I'd have overlooked (like worn bar stud shoulders), loose muffler bearings and bent johnson rods...well you get the idea. I knew it was in for a new piston/cyl and flywheel but Lake gave it a complete physical - replacing numerous items, repairing a thoroughly thrashed bar cover and repainting it - and refinishing several other parts and baking them to set the paint. New badge and decals, Elasto_start (Yeah baby!!) to replace the "China" pull handle...he didn't do things that weren't 'necessary' for my worksaw - hence the faded top cover and filter cover remained (though with renewed lustre).

This is all to say both a BIG T H A N K S!!!!! And to say that some of these listers like Lake have knowledge oozing from them. They'll notice things at 50 feet that many won't notice after a year of ownership. Don't discount the benefits of guys with YEARS of experience working with and/or on saws.

This is a worksaw and I dont' have any before pics...but it truly is a transformation. What it cost me (though VERY reasonable) is irrelevant - as every saw is unique in what it needs. I elected to go w/ a NEW Stihl piston/cyl over other alternatives. As far as what it was worth? Shipping it to Lake was without question the best value for my dollars spent - I'll spend my time cutting w/ it thank you!

An oversight on my part was to give Lake the go-ahead on the dual port (which will be remidied shortly...)

Haven't put it to wood yet. Recovering from an eye injury and took medical liberty to snap some pics to break the boredom... BOY was it bright out today! Credit my typo's to only having one good eye at the moment...

Chaser
Yeah, I 'might' have tried it on a Husky...but not a Stihl... maybe if you had a husqy or a mac you wouldn't be in this perdicament:rock: :taped: :yoyo: :bowdown:

havvey said:
...maybe if you had a husqy or a mac you wouldn't be in this perdicament:rock: :taped: :yoyo: :bowdown:

:D Problem is, Havvey, one day I gotta have an ol Mac and a 372 and I already know I'm gonna like them, too...I've tried to limit the infection to orange and white (beyond what I already had), but it's not looking promising! Lot's of good machines out there. :greenchainsaw:

Chaser

I would like to praise Lakeside too! He is SO competent and has also given me excellent advice. Don't ever leave us, Andy. Hope to see you here in Sweden/Denmark one day!

havvey said:
Yeah, I 'might' have tried it on a Husky...but not a Stihl... maybe if you had a husqy or a mac you wouldn't be in this perdicament:rock: :taped: :yoyo: :bowdown:

Havvey are you stirring the pot,lol. Your right though, if he had a Mac he'd be seaching the country for old junk saws for parts and if he had a Husky he still wouldn't have a King,hehe. :laugh: :laugh:

thall

thall my old buddie:clap: yes like me, scrounging for parts, i brought home a truckload no stihls got a nice promac 60 running!! Whished i could go back to 73-76 and buy one new. when i get into a stihl i am going to turn to you for help :jawdrop: :censored: :cheers: (probably will be an 1960's vintage!!)

Back