Know the 394 in and out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGoBlue

Those who stay will be champions
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Tell me if you notice any parts MIA please!

There appears to be a couple of broken pieces I'm unsure of. They are right beside the base gasket. Not sure if they belong to this saw or not as I had a few 350 parts mixed in.

If you can ID screw [locations], I would be very grateful.

I acquired all this in a plastic tote. Was told it's mostly all there and it's seems to be. A few things I would like to do before I get too far... how do I check bearing seals as the saw sits?
And BTW, a new Meteor 395 piston kit on on the way. :rock: Thanks for any and all help.

Blue circle is cylinder. Yellow looks like the handle bar screws. purple by itself is top cover. White is carb assembly. Looks to be missing muffler bolts. Green could be some that go to the muffler bracket. Usually they are shorter than that I believe.

Thanks a ton! Muffler has the screws and bolts in it. I was pretty sure the long ones were carb. It wasn't in the pic but I do have the handle, which I think this piece is part of?

Any idea if this is 394 and if so what was it.

mike got most right except the purple is actually a recoil crew and white are filter mount bolts. your intake bolts look to be the 2 middle ones of the longer bolts. you are missing some stuff, most importantly a piston :laugh:

Ordered a bunch of stuff today. Stop switch, air filter, Meteor 395 piston, and some other odds and ends. I do not have an ignition wire to run to the plug. If I buy bulk cable, what do I need to use to connect it to the coil?

Should I use a base gasket?

how do I check bearing seals as the saw sits?

That's probably a very good idea -- inner tube rubber can be placed from the intake and muffler to cyl. Those don't have a separate impulse, it's through the intake block, so I use a spark plug hole compression fitting adapted to the vacuum. Check the impulse hole through the intake for cracks also. That's a pretty saw to have ended a basket case so somethings probably wrong.

Just change them out. They're about $10 a set or so. You'll have to pull the clutch and oiler and then the flywheel on the other side. Jab a sharp pick or small screw in them and then pull them out. Really if you plan on keeping the saw split it and put new bearings in for a total of about $30 extra spent.

Thanks walsh. My employer as a similar tool I could borrow. Off to the dealer to order more goods.

Really appreciate everyone chiming in. I'm really enjoying the challenge of getting this 394 back running.

Flywheel is off. Waiting for seals and other parts.

Thanks for all the tips. I ended up using my 2 arm puller, it fit no problem. I tightened it up pretty good then a few raps with the ball peen and viola!

Back