Labonville chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. Good thread.

Timely for me too.

Went out to get the shed to get the tractor today only to find I left my chaps out there from a week or so ago. It seems the mice, squirrels and other vermin enjoyed chewing the black birch and pine chips in the fabric and nylon belts.

Time for a new pair. Probably try Labonville this time I see a lot of guys wearing them. The last pair were at least 10 years old and had almost enough pine pitch in them that they could stand up by themselves.

Take Care

TMI ! TMI !:dizzy:

no, not me but it sure does justify the cost of a pair of chaps :D

100_0051.jpg

I have first hand exp with a cut very close to this, it was on my buddys leg, he had a pair of the blue husky chaps on , the chaps never even fazed the saw, I would not recomend the cheap huskys to anyone!

I have first hand exp with a cut very close to this, it was on my buddys leg, he had a pair of the blue husky chaps on , the chaps never even fazed the saw, I would not recomend the cheap huskys to anyone!

True. I understand what you mean. They were the I believe homeowners you can buy at lowes. I think they are either 400 or 600 denier. The ones I purchased are the most exspensive ones with the 1,000 denier. You usually see them in Orange, however, they now have them in blue. These are the Husqvarna Pro Forest Logger Wrap Chaps. They retail I believe at about $90 I think. I got mine for $75 plus shipping.

Interesting, I had the cheap Husky blue chaps on, when I laid a pretty wide open 660 BB in the same place as that photo. It not only stopped the saw cold, unknowingly of the risk, I sewed them back up and proceeded to lay the saw down in almost the same spot, and it stopped the same saw again, within a few weeks of each other.

No I don't recommend doing what I did, but both times my jeans didn't even get a scrap on them. I bought another pair used them for a few years, then they got burned up in our house fire last March and I got a pair of Orange Labonville chaps ..... I did something wrong with the ordering on them, because they stop about midway on my shin and I wanted them to go all the way to the top of my foot, oh well.

I wear them when I'm falling trees, but not so much when I'm bucking up trees. It doesn't matter to me what the temperature is, when its hot, its hot, it doesn't matter what you have on ..... in my opinion.

Sam

Sam

True. I understand what you mean. They were the I believe homeowners you can buy at lowes. I think they are either 400 or 600 denier. The ones I purchased are the most exspensive ones with the 1,000 denier. You usually see them in Orange, however, they now have them in blue. These are the Husqvarna Pro Forest Logger Wrap Chaps. They retail I believe at about $90 I think. I got mine for $75 plus shipping.

Agreed the were the cheap ones!

Interesting, I had the cheap Husky blue chaps on, when I laid a pretty wide open 660 BB in the same place as that photo. It not only stopped the saw cold, unknowingly of the risk, I sewed them back up and proceeded to lay the saw down in almost the same spot, and it stopped the same saw again, within a few weeks of each other.

No I don't recommend doing what I did, but both times my jeans didn't even get a scrap on them. I bought another pair used them for a few years, then they got burned up in our house fire last March and I got a pair of Orange Labonville chaps ..... I did something wrong with the ordering on them, because they stop about midway on my shin and I wanted them to go all the way to the top of my foot, oh well.

I wear them when I'm falling trees, but not so much when I'm bucking up trees. It doesn't matter to me what the temperature is, when its hot, its hot, it doesn't matter what you have on ..... in my opinion.

Sam

Sam

I agree sam It is very interesting, we have looked this over and over! It was a 395 husky it sort of kicked back, he said he thought the spikes just poked him, but the saw the chaps were cut, there was the stuff wound up in the chain but never even seemed to slow the saw much, and cut deep and wide, took about 2 hours to sew up. Now this is a crazy example and may be a one in a million thing but it happened. I guess it goes to show no matter what your wearing , you have to be damn careful. The guy admits it was a big saw and too tired accident, hot and exhausted which is dangerous we all know that.

Timely for me too.

Went out to get the shed to get the tractor today only to find I left my chaps out there from a week or so ago. It seems the mice, squirrels and other vermin enjoyed chewing the black birch and pine chips in the fabric and nylon belts.

Time for a new pair. Probably try Labonville this time I see a lot of guys wearing them. The last pair were at least 10 years old and had almost enough pine pitch in them that they could stand up by themselves.

Take Care
Good deal. Be careful out there.

The guy admits it was a big saw and too tired accident, hot and exhausted which is dangerous we all know that.

That is how I cut myself with the 660. I was dropping trees on a sidehill in the summer, and was hot and extremely tired. I had just finished topping a tree and pulled the bar out before I got pinched and ran the bar right onto my left leg. The saw stopped cold, in a nanosecond. At first I could figure out what had happened ..... then I did. I looked at my un cut jeans and then sat down and it took about 15 mins to clean all of the fibers out of the clutch and chain, they were stuck everywhere.

I was extremely tired and did it again a few weeks later, almost step for step, LOL, dumb. I have a bad habit of sitting the powerhead on my leg when I step up over a tree top that has just been cut to the ground and that is when I cut the chaps.

Knock on wood, I don't think I have ever been cut by a saw chain, maybe my finger or something, but nothing worth remembering.

I have had the trees or wood, knock me around. I broke a left rib last week on a hickory tree, a nearby hickory sapling that had been bent over came up hard and whacked me, it flipped me about 10 feet. Oh well, at least it isn't a desk job, LOL.

Sam

I do most of my cutting in hedg rows. The smaller trees have some serious thorns in them and i was wondering just how well the labonville chaps hold up to punctures. My girlfriend has been on my butt about getting a pair. I planned on just getting a pair of the stihl chaps until reading this post. Is there a big difference between the two?

I had the crappy Husky Chaps and they did great against thorns and such. I would imagine that these other chaps would do likewise.

Sam

I was never much for all this "sissy" safety stuff, sawed without hearing or any protection. Shortly after I joined AS there was a thread much like this one. It really opened my eyes, especially a video which was done by the forest service or some such. Showed how a ham was cut by a chainsaw with no protection, old chaps, and a new set of Labonville's. I didn't touch the saw until my chaps arrived. I also wear a helmet and hearing protection now. AS may not have saved my life since I have never cut myself, but they did show me how stupid my attitude was. I VERY HIGHLY recommend the Labonville chaps, others are good to, but one trip to the ER..... you all know it's true. JR

I just received my green Labonville chaps and got to use them this weekend. It was in the 80's but I didn't get too hot wearing the chaps. They look and feel of high quality. Sweet price during the sale too.
No substitute for proper operating practice but it's nice to know there's a buffer zone between you and the chain if something did happen.

I just received my green Labonville chaps and got to use them this weekend. It was in the 80's but I didn't get too hot wearing the chaps. They look and feel of high quality. Sweet price during the sale too.
No substitute for proper operating practice but it's nice to know there's a buffer zone between you and the chain if something did happen.

Glad you like 'em...they are the right stuff!:clap:

I bought the 10 ply racing chaps this summer. I was young and dumb the last time I cut wood. (shorts without head and ear protection) I'm now older and use caution. A perfect example of why they send young kids to war. NO FEAR !! It was hot with the racing chaps. However, I'd rather rehydrate and take breaks than have my kid wheel me into her school graduation or worse, burry me.

The good news is that she's only 5. I can make fart sounds with my armpits and she's proud. Keep the bar low. Under promise and over deliver. That's my motto of life.

Been using Labonville full wrap for a year or so. They are tough as nails, with a heavy cordura shell. I can wade in through nasty brambles with no problem. I've used them in 100 degree heat a couple of times this summer and I don't notice them until I stop working for the day. Too busy focused on the work at hand, I guess.

Latest posts

Back