"larger" saw for occasional "professional" use?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27831
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 27831

I have a small ecological restoration company here in WI and I'm looking for a "larger" saw to handle the occasional larger tree that we have to deal with. Most of what we cut is small diameter brush; buckthorn and honeysuckle that rarely gets larger than 4" in diameter. We also clear weedy understory trees like boxelder, ash, elm, cherry, maple, maybe harder woods like walnut and black locust on occasion.

Anyhow, right now I am running a MS200 and an MS250. I'm looking to move the MS250 into a back-up saw or dirty work roll since it hasn't been the most reliable for me. I find the MS200 ideal for the work we do since it is light enough to use all day, fast enough to cut through thin branches quickly and has enough power for the occasional 8" cherry. But obviously its too expensive to have a lot of these around.

I'll probably get a MS192 and/or a MS 260 Pro for small and mid range work, but we occasionally have to cut larger trees, up to 20" and on rare occasion we have to deal with even larger deadfalls. The 250 isn't really up to this sort of work. I would like to get a "big" saw, maybe like the MS362, but that's a lot of money for a saw which only be put to use on occasion. Is the 260 Pro significantly more powerful than the 250? Are there some other options I should consider?

I am just a chainsaw homeowner for firewood that hardly cuts more then 20 cubic meters of wood per year. I am in the same sort of "occasional big tree that I need to cut " category and for that I acquired a Stihl 460 this year. One of the best saws ever built.

The 260 Pro won't be the fastest, but it's capable of cutting 20" wood. Then again, you see the list in my sig line and I have some other saws for the bigger stuff.

Last edited:
I am just a chainsaw homeowner for firewood that hardly cuts more then 20 cubic meters of wood per year. I am in the same sort of "occasional big tree that I need to cut " category and for that I acquired a Stihl 460 this year. One of the best saws ever built.

+1 all day long!!!!!

What about a Husky 460? The 455 gets some great reviews but the 460 has an extra 5cc of power. I would not justify the expense of a 372 but for less than $475 you get a saw that has the power and is comfortable with a 20 inch BC. I like you could use a larger saw and to me this is a good candidate.My O41 is still 100% functional however I ran a 460 and it was well balanced with plenty of power to cut some hard dry mesquite. Ken

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/husqvarna/88155-husqvarna-455-rancher.html

I guess it's my usual recommendation. Stihl 361. :)

It's hard to beat for an all around saw just for what you're doing. They are light and easy to manuveur and will handle the bigger stuff with ease.

Either the 361 if you can find one around, or the new 362. Either are awesome mid size saws that work like big saws. Prolly 500-600 for a new 361 or 650-675 for a new 362. You can catch some good deals on like new 361s on Ebay also. I got mine there for 500 bucks and was barely ran.

a big saw is nice, but pricey. the 260 PRO you mentioned should handle your occasional need for a bigger saw and handle all your mid range requirements. later if you find you need more saw, get one. but you will not have wasted the money spent on the 260 PRO. in fact you may find that it becomes your "go to" saw very quickly.

a big saw is nice, but pricey. the 260 PRO you mentioned should handle your occasional need for a bigger saw and handle all your mid range requirements. later if you find you need more saw, get one. but you will not have wasted the money spent on the 260 PRO. in fact you may find that it becomes your "go to" saw very quickly.

it ain't gonna be real happy in 20" wood. it'll do it but there's better. buy it right the first time. plus he already has the 250

359 or 365. or a 361 if you can find one.

Your 200 can take care of all the limbs. The 250 can handle bigger limbs and some bucking. A 260 has a little more power but might not be enough to justify it's cost when looking for a big saw. I say look for a 70cc saw, even a used if needed. Any of the 70cc Stihls are great saws, 044/440, 441, 046/460. If you can find a new 440, grab it quick. That is hands down the best 70cc ever produced. If not, the 441 and 460 are fine also. A 60cc saw can get the job done, but anything over 20" and they are out of their power range. The 362 and 391 are great 60cc saws, the 362 will be more expensive due to it being a pro model. Don't let the 391 fool ya though, users like it's power. There is a new 365 in the classifieds also, they are just a slighty detuned 372. Great saws also and can handle 25" well.

Well, I'm glad there are just as many opinions floating around here as there are in my head.

For the record, Husky isn't really an option around here, I can think of maybe 2 dealers in my area but there's a Stihl dealer in just about every small town in the area and its a big help to have spare parts and repairs available near the work site.

Well, I'm glad there are just as many opinions floating around here as there are in my head.

For the record, Husky isn't really an option around here, I can think of maybe 2 dealers in my area but there's a Stihl dealer in just about every small town in the area and its a big help to have spare parts and repairs available near the work site.

Well friend you just answered your ?. Go for the used 044 or 046 or any of the Sthils the were mentioned in 2K's post he's the Stihl guru.

other's opinions may disagree, but a 260 is not made for 20" wood. i have run a 250 for many hours and i own a 026 (same saw as a 260) and there isn't much difference bw a 250 and 260. a 361 would be my first choice and a 362 would be the second. an 044/440 would also be very nice, though they are are almost 2lbs heavier than a 361. a MM 361 will be very close in performance to a stock 044 in 20" wood. (a ported 346 would be the first choice!! weight like a 260, power near 440 levels).

:agree2:

The 260 Pro is a great saw...lots of power for the weight. We use ours up to 20" wood with no problem...just muff mod it and keep the chains sharp...
:cheers:

Too bad Husky is not an option. I'd stop cutting wood if I couldn't use a 346xp :D

Might want to check. Most big dealers around here have both brands.

My god this is hilarious! The title is the search for an occasional "professional" saw. Is this a oxymoron? I believe so.

You are looking for a saw capable of handling 20" wood, no problem you have a 250 that is capable of doing just that! It isn't reliable, have a service done. Maybe a carb rebuild.
If you want to upgrade, that is a totally different story. You want to stay finacialy down to earth but want something larger. Look at the pro-semipro class.

Stihl:
Husqvarna:
359, 365
Solo:
Dolmar/Makita: (definately the choice around here)
6400, 7300(this is the model I would choose!)
Efco:

Price wise Stihl & Husqvarna are on the top, for unknown reason. Well maybe with Stihl because you have a Stihl shop almost everywhere, but Husqvarna who knows? The Solo, Dolmar/Makita and Efco's are all pro saws. The Husqvarna are both constructed pro but not the hotrod line. The Stihl is semi pro / farmer class, but Thall(a well respected member here and a Stihl dealer who should know his stuff! Never go to his shop! You will leave with definately more than you intended, but at a GREAT price it is said.) says they cut right up front with the 361 so I would rather tote the extra weight, for occassional use and have the extra cash in my pocket.

Good luck and I hope your ppe is complete,

Another option is the MS310. It is in the same family as the 390 and 290. With a 18 inch bar and sharp chain, it can easily go through 30 inches of wood - does require two passes. 310 is a little less cc than a 390 and costs less. Mine just works and works.

Pro saw? Look to the 440 460 saws. For real fun, 066 or 660!

Hal

You can get Huskys at Mills Fleet Farms and Lowes. I think there are two Mills Fleet Farms in your town. The prices at Mills usually beat dealer prices and you can get a 359 for around $500. The others they sell are strato models like the 400 series.

A Stihl 361 you are looking at around $550-$600. There are plenty around at dealers if you look.

You can also call every Stihl dealer in your area and ask around for used saws for sale in the 60cc range. Doesn't hurt to ask and a lot of dealers won't put the used saws in the showroom. If they are a service dealer I would bet they have a few.

Latest posts

Back