Largest bar for Husky 394xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedSherman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, what's the largest recommended bar for milling with a ported Husky 394xp? Right now I've got a 36 and it does fine with that. Will it take a 48? Most of what I mill (so far) has been hardwood (oak, hackberry, maple). I'm looking at selling my 42" PantherMill II and maybe getting a 48" Granberg. I'll crosspost in the milling forum too.

I use a 48 in on my husky 281 on pine. I've never milled oak over 32 inches but I would say sharp and slow you definitely have the power

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Just getting a 394 together mostly for a mill. I am thinking 42" with the grandberg 36" mill. Seems like 48" bars are hard to find and definitely expensive. I doubt I'll run into too many logs that are bigger than 32".
Plus I really dont wanna sharpen a full comp 135dl chain, any more and I'll really be hating life.

Wow, that's a beautiful chunk of wood. Maple, I assume (from the leaf and the bark)?

Yes, hard maple. That's a 32" bar.
I free hand a slab from the smaller half of the trunk. I came up with a very crooked slab that ranges from 8-13" thick. Im hopeful to get two 3" flat slabs once it's all milled flat. I don't have any milling equipment and it was spur of the moment type thing. Too nice to make firewood from. Also to difficult to split by hand lol.
IMG_20161113_165248183.jpg
IMG_20161113_171333517.jpg
Sorry to derail your thread.

That slab was taken from the top 6' of the trunk. The first pic I posted the the lower 6' half I haven't had a chance to do anything with yet.
IMG_20161112_113311760.jpg
IMG_20161112_141729794.jpg

Anyway, I think you could expect no problems with a 48" bar on a 395 but I have no first hand experience with that type of setup. I say that because my 298 ran that 32" semi skip no problem. I could see it pulling a 42 semi skip with no problem. I could see it pulling g a 48" full skip no problem.

If you turn, you've got a ton of blanks there and wood enough to last a lifetime. Looks to me like you'll be able to get several 3" slabs from what is left. Those'll make beautiful tables or mantels.

I wish that were so. My free hand cuts are so crooked and cupped I'd be happy to get two 3" slabs from it. Lots of figure in that log.

I wish that were so. My free hand cuts are so crooked and cupped I'd be happy to get two 3" slabs from it. Lots of figure in that log.

if it weren't for the fiskars you would have got more out of it :D cut that stump down to marshy, makes me wanna cry lol. post a pic of it for the critics :D

I didn't drop it but I agree there's a lot of stump left, about 2-2.5 feet.
I could have don't a better job chipping it down with the Fiskars. :surprised3:

Back