Largest Tree You've Cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some storm damage cut up with 460 32"bar [thank god it was hollow]

attachment.php

This tree wasn't the biggest tree i've taken down, but it had the largest top that i've let fly. Dropped the whole crown in one cut. Shook houses 1/2 block down the street.

attachment.php

Doug fir, about 4 ft. in diameter and 120 ft. tall. Fat, irrigated, 80 yr. old second growth; it was along the fairway of the golf course in Tualatin, OR. We backed a skidder up to it and put a cable in it. After the backcut and wedges were in, we PLANNED to pull it over with the cable---but it didn't go. We were told NOT to dump any trees on the greens---and it was leaning over one. Quite a touchy situation. I went back to the tree and bored out the center from the face, wacked the wedges a little, and crossed my finers as the other guy hit the winch again. It did finally go over, sending chunks of limbs flying 100 ft.

There were several of these "grouse ladders", 3-4 ft. diam., enough to fill 2 or 3 log trucks. Stud grade crap. We used some old Homelite saws to fell them; I think they had 4 ft. bars, thumb-op oilers, and of course no vib protection. This was back in '87, and the saws were probably 20 years older. They moved the chain slowly, but never bogged down.

Ummm

fishhuntcutwood said:
No, I'm not on steroids...but thanks for asking!

Just glutamine, arginine, three types of creatine, tribulus, methoxy, and ecdesterone, primarily. ;)

I'm not sure I know what "Primarily" is, but if it would help me get tree trunk legs like you I'd take it. :rock: :popcorn: :jester:

ciscoguy01 said:
I'm not sure I know what "Primarily" is, but if it would help me get tree trunk legs like you I'd take it. :rock: :popcorn: :jester:

"Primarily" is just what's beyond my main supplements, in the supporting roles. Like vit C, zinc, fish oil, flaxseed oil, all that stuff that's required to support muscle growth, but aren't directly responsible for it.

Kidding bro...

fishhuntcutwood said:
"Primarily" is just what's beyond my main supplements, in the supporting roles. Like vit C, zinc, fish oil, flaxseed oil, all that stuff that's required to support muscle growth, but aren't directly responsible for it.

Do you notice that creatine really makes you bulk up with alot of water weight? Seems like it does that for me. Makes me feel beeeeeg ond fot'!!!!!

More important question than 'roids

Mr. John Ellison:

What was the diameter and height of the largest tree you ever cut?

Same question relating to the largest tree you ever saw cut.

Photos not necessary. We'll believe you.

SmokechaseII, you must have guessed that I didnt have photos as I didnt put them up.:greenchainsaw: That was when I thought that camera's were just for tourists.
The biggest tree I fell had 20+ bushel in it. Dont remember the exact hight or dia., similar but a bit smaller to the one in the picture. I was fairly green and it took me most of the day. Sitka spruce in Alaska.
The biggest that I saw was right after it had been fell and worked up. 37+ bushel. Again height and dia??

John Ellison said:
SmokechaseII, you must have guessed that I didnt have photos as I didnt put them up.:greenchainsaw: That was when I thought that camera's were just for tourists.
The biggest tree I fell had 20+ bushel in it. Dont remember the exact hight or dia., similar but a bit smaller to the one in the picture. I was fairly green and it took me most of the day. Sitka spruce in Alaska.
The biggest that I saw was right after it had been fell and worked up. 37+ bushel. Again height and dia??

Impressive timber John. :cheers:

My biggest was early in my climbing career. A Eastern Cottonwood with an approximate DBH of 90" and about 80-90' high. Not as tall as what our western brothers fell, but it was stone cold dead and an extremely challenging climb.(especially for a newbie) Could've killed the boss for taking that job.:bang: 6-8' long sheets of dead bark 3" thick shedding off during the climb. Needless to say it was pure pleasure get my feet on terra firma felling the 50' x 90" stick with the 084 even though it took some fancy cutting with the 36" bar to get it done. When bole it the ground it cracked a window in the customer's house and sank two feet into the soft loamy soil which made for more fun to buck into "manageable" sections.:D

Unfortunately it was before cameras were comonly carried, sorry, no pics.

My tallest was a White Pine at about 120', +/- 50" DBH, that one felled with a tip line. Woo Hoo :rockn:

Hats off to you western fellers, you guys sure earn your pay for sure.:rock:

The biggest tree I fell was a 44" based doug fir. I dont have pics, only a stump. I used a 285 Husky with a 30" bar.

Not my biggest but here is a nice spruce my partner fell in Alaska. Ten foot.

Here go my reputation points, but I must confess that these days sometimes I feel a little sadness when reflecting on the felling of a really giant (10ft +) tree. Like a gentle whale.

No judgment here, just a recognition of the passing of something that was here long before we were and is gone now....To honor it's spirit and contribution to our lives.

Last edited:
I know what you mean B Turner, every one has to feel that to a certain extent. No one wants to see all the old growth cut.

Here is one of my biggest Arkansas trees. Southern yellow pine. Cut in the foreground was 600+ bf.

John Ellison said:

A guy I worked with this past summer said he helped a guy fall and buck a 13ft Sitka in Alaska a few years back. There still up there.

My Avatar picture to your left is not the biggest I have cut, but prob. in the top five. It was 6'8" inside the bark and 7'8" outside. It is a doug fir, the first 5 16ft logs scaled over 11,000bf.
I used my 660 with a 36" bar. Can't see them, but there are spring boards in the back of this stump so I could saw my low wood.

John Ellison said:

For those of you who don't know: Bushel is slang for 1000BF. Many fallers out here get paid by the 1000bf, ie. Busheling. So 20k Bushel, also 20K Board Ft.

Ummmm

Tree Sling'r said:
For those of you who don't know: Bushel is slang for 1000BF. Many fallers out here get paid by the 1000bf, ie. Busheling. So 20k Bushel, also 20K Board Ft.

Dude dude dude, you can't be telling us about that big tree in your avatar w/out having a big picture we can look at. Come on now, post it up for us... :popcorn:

B_Turner said:
A few years ago I got in on a removal of a maple tree on a golf course that measured an honest 67 inches. My 066 with 42 inch bar barely reached half way in spots. My brother the arborist and crew did the upper tree, and since it's the wood I am after I just cut the bottom maybe 10 ft of trunk.

I cut it into about 20 inch rounds that were so heavy that we had to get a front end loader to push the rounds off the stump. We stood the rounds on their edge and and I plunged cut blocks out, turning the rounds into swiss cheese. Wish I had a picture.

I got about 4500 lbs of 20 x 20 x 20 inch rectangular blocks. Here is a really poor picture someone took of some of the rough turned bowls from that load. Most of them in the 20 inch wide by 16 inch tall size. It was so damp in my shop from all that rough turning I called my wife at work and asked her if I could bring a few rough turned bowls into the house near the fire to surface dry a little. When she got home she laughed, but when they were still there the next day she didn't think it was so funny.

Sorry for the bad pic.

http://www.billluce.com/bigimages/bowlpile.jpg

I think it was that day my brother showed me a trick when cutting stumps. If you don't want to use wedges, you can pull the saw (in horizontal cut) backwards and it will pack the kerf with shavings as you go. don't need a wedge. With my 6 ft pry bar I can then simply walk a round up to maybe 600-700 lbs right of the stump pretty easily. I then generally stand them on their side and cut out blocks.

These days on a tree such as this big stump, if I were by myself as I usually am, I would make a horizontal cut and then set my Granberg edging mill on a dedicated saw to cut exactly that depth and start blocking the round out in place. Once I could move it, I would slide it off the stump and block out what I want from what is left of the round. Works really great. Once I can get pieces to the maybe 450 lb size I can usually hand cart them into my trailer which I had custom built just for wood.

bowlpile.jpg

Awesome B!! Did you core those first or did all those curls end up on the floor? What lathe are you using btw?

trimmmed said:
bowlpile.jpg

Awesome B!! Did you core those first or did all those curls end up on the floor? What lathe are you using btw?

Sorry for the terrible pic. On maple I usually core to make it go quicker and generally just burn the core or use it for practice or lessons. I used to use the McNaughton corer, but on this harvest the bowls were so deep that I actually ordered the Oneway coring tool on my cell from the out of town site to make it go quicker.

On a typical year I rough out at least 50,000 lbs of wood. I have a couple of Oneway 2436's. If you are curious about my work you can take a look at my profile for my site.

I tend to have a pretty serious pile of curly fries from the lathe going.

Back