Laser chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One Canadian Online retailer I order from has their chain branded Lazer. I heard that it was made by Windsor chain. I have only used 3/8 chisel but found it very good and extremely fast out of the box. Second only to Stihl in that respect. The tooth corner is very crisp. Don't remember noting anything exceptional about filing it.

the last roll of 3/8 lp we had was absolute garbage, we used it on our ms200 and the drive links would snap within 3 days.

there 3/8 stuff is a coin toss as for who makes it. i've had some with oregon lg cutters on it other times i could not recognize the cutters. now we just stir clear of it.

after i go through the rolls of carlton i have i'll go back to oregon. i've never run stihl chain because of the price, but out of carlton, windsor and laser, i'll take oregon any day.

kf_tree

What is your experience with Carlton. I have found the odd cutter a bit hard to file even in chain that has never been on a grinder. Their 3/8 chisel has a slight radius to the outside corner that seems to hold an edge well but is not quite as fast new as Oregon or Stihl

Crofter said:
kf_tree

What is your experience with Carlton. I have found the odd cutter a bit hard to file even in chain that has never been on a grinder. Their 3/8 chisel has a slight radius to the outside corner that seems to hold an edge well but is not quite as fast new as Oregon or Stihl

i just find i can get a better edge on oregon, on carlton for some reason i always file to high. so i use the round file to clean out the gullet first, then file the tooth, for what ever reason it works better for me that way on carlton. (does that make sense?) when fileing oregon i've never had to do this to get a nice corner.

I wonder if the Carlton teeth could be a bit harder down near the base of the tooth that is forcing your file to ride higher. I notice the hardness most when square filing. Initially though I had hardened it with the grinder but noticed it on a chain that had never been on the grinder. Oregon is nice to work with and none of them cut dirt worth a shirt. Am cutting a trailer load of muddy wood so am using up some odds and sods of chains. They are all good; sometimes only for about ten seconds though.:laugh:

I used Laser before and liked it. At that time, it was made by Windsor. It was a Windsor chain that was sold under the Lazer name. If the shop that you deal with knows anything about chins, they should be able to tell what kind of chain it is. Windsor (or Lazer chain made by Windsor), is the only chain that I'll use. It takes an edge well and it hold up nicely. Just don't let the name sell you on the product...find out who makes it for that company. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the stihl chain made by Windsor??? I think they are but have a patterned grove on the side to draw bar oil upward for better chain lubrication. Thats really the only difference but both are made (I believe) by Windsor. Kinda the same as Husqvarnas name on their chain saw bars but the bars are actually made by Oregon. HC

hobby climber said:
I used Laser before and liked it. At that time, it was made by Windsor. It was a Windsor chain that was sold under the Lazer name. If the shop that you deal with knows anything about chins, they should be able to tell what kind of chain it is. Windsor (or Lazer chain made by Windsor), is the only chain that I'll use. It takes an edge well and it hold up nicely. Just don't let the name sell you on the product...find out who makes it for that company. If I'm not mistaken, isn't the stihl chain made by Windsor??? I think they are but have a patterned grove on the side to draw bar oil upward for better chain lubrication. Thats really the only difference but both are made (I believe) by Windsor. Kinda the same as Husqvarnas name on their chain saw bars but the bars are actually made by Oregon. HC

Stihl chain is made by Stihl.

KF you should try a loop of the Stihl LP. Thats all we use. Its great stuff holds an edge beautifully and never breaks. We use oregon 73lg for our big saws though. We used to use Stihl but somehow got converted over. Some of the guys want to go back because it holds an edge longer but all said that it was noticeably harder to file.

Back