Last load out of my CT state forest wood lot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
orig.jpg

Was a LOT of work, but I think I hauled at least 4 cords out of the place.

Had a TON of help from mikefurnaro from this site. I couldn't have got it done in time without him!

Now it's time to figure out what to do about a splitter.... rent, buy, build? renting is the cheapest, buying the easiest, but I'd likely be happiest with a home built. Will wait 'til the cooler weather to do any of that though.

I am pretty sure I got enough wood for the next two heating seasons now. I have just about enough 2 year old cut/split/stacked for this season, and then the 4+ cords that I recently cut and needs to be split. It's all cut to length except for the last load (in the picture). My permit expires tomorrow and I was in a hurry to just haul it out.

Valkrie,
A maul is the cheapest splitting method. IF your shoulders are good enough many of us have split many cords by hand. Who needs P90X when you have cords of wood and a maul !!!!!

then again of course we might be able to swing a deal and I'll bring my SS and we can split it all in a day :)

how far up into the wilderness of CT are ya ?

A

Valkrie,
A maul is the cheapest splitting method. IF your shoulders are good enough many of us have split many cords by hand. Who needs P90X when you have cords of wood and a maul !!!!!

then again of course we might be able to swing a deal and I'll bring my SS and we can split it all in a day :)

how far up into the wilderness of CT are ya ?

A

that's how I am splitting with maul wedge and sledge.

Last edited:
They're a lot of work but I see these permits as being pretty fun and worthwhile. Sure there are easier ways of getting firewood but it gives you an opportunity to struggle and work in a real forest.

The only problem here was that it was so dense in some places that the tree was going to get hung up no matter where it fell. Definitely getting a felling lever though.

Valkyrie Rider's cant hook/peavey did make rolling them off of other trees when they got hung up pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back