Lesson learned without injury.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivehead

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is embarrassing. My MS270 is about 3 weeks old. I got home from work this evening and grabbed the saw to cut some logs before dark. I grabbed the chain to check to make sure it was tensioned before fueling and starting. I cut for about 5 min before the saw fell apart in my hands. The bar nuts, chain,bar, and the chain sprocket cover fell off. I have to assume that the bar nuts were loose. I don't recall loosening the nuts to relieve bar tension after last use. I was able to find one bar nut only. I'll have to check to make sure the bar nuts are tight every time I pick up the saw. I'm also hoping that I didn't damage the saw. I'm pleased to have all of my body parts. Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Yes a lucky man your are. If your going to pick up that saw again you should invest in some ppe (personal protection equipment), fivehead. Welcome to the site and get yourself a pair of chaps and goggles. Screw your head on a little tighter. Chainsaws are no toys.

You had to have left them loose. I have never had them come loose on any of my saws or my Dad's in 20 years of use. I'm not trying to be cruel, but it's hard to imagine running it until it actually fell apart. It way loose LONG before that. Be careful out there:D

Last edited:
Glad you did not get hurt. Take his advice and get some PPE. Worthy investment.

Welcome :newbie:

I have never loosened the chains on my saws. Even when storing them when not in use. The so called "stretch" that they will get from being in tension is a moot point.

Just leave 'em ready for work... then this kind of stuff won't happen. Lesson learned... glad ya didn't get hurt.

Gary

No way the nuts came loose thru that little use. You'd notice the wobble of the bar way before it fell off, at least. That's only if you failed to notice other problems. So, either you or someone left the nuts loose. As with any powerful machine, it's a good habit to check over the saw a bit before using, even one minute can do it [check security of gas and oil filler caps, for example] in addition to the chain tension and, now, nut security. Try to wobble the bar. And so on. Personally, these days I don't put the saw away before blowing it all off with air, including cleaning the air filter, removing the clutch cover and cleaning out oily sawdust, cleaning out the groove in the bar [toothpick, tiny screwdriver, etc.], flipping the bar for even wear, refilling the oil tank, and so on. I used to put it away dirty, too tired to bother, but now I don't until the above are done. That's just my habit, you can develop your own. A screw-up with a saw can do major damage to the saw or to your body or both. I can do the above cleaning and so forth in about ten minutes, including turning on and charging the air compressor, hanging up the chaps.

Last edited:
Welcome! Glad there was no damage done, could have been ugly! Ditto on the PPE, get it, use it.
Now repeat after me> "Check the nuts! :bang: Check the nuts! :bang: Check the nuts! :bang:"

:cheers:

Serge

Lucky.. It happens. Lack of attention. I once put a saw back together, finger tightened the nuts and I thought I tightened them. I guess I only tightened one. After testing the saw, there was one nut missing. Fortunately it wasn't mine. Now I try and remember to check the nuts frequently.

No way the nuts came loose thru that little use. You'd notice the wobble of the bar way before it fell off, at least. That's only if you failed to notice other problems. So, either you or someone left the nuts loose. As with any powerful machine, it's a good habit to check over the saw a bit before using, even one minute can do it [check security of gas and oil filler caps, for example] in addition to the chain tension and, now, nut security. Try to wobble the bar. And so on. Personally, these days I don't put the saw away before blowing it all off with air, including cleaning the air filter, removing the clutch cover and cleaning out oily sawdust, cleaning out the groove in the bar [toothpick, tiny screwdriver, etc.], flipping the bar for even wear, refilling the oil tank, and so on. I used to put it away dirty, too tired to bother, but now I don't until the above are done. That's just my habit, you can develop your own. A screw-up with a saw can do major damage to the saw or to your body or both. I can do the above cleaning and so forth in about ten minutes, including turning on and charging the air compressor, hanging up the chaps.

Good post! :clap:

I do it about the same way as you. :)

Lucky.. It happens. Lack of attention. I once put a saw back together, finger tightened the nuts and I thought I tightened them. I guess I only tightened one. After testing the saw, there was one nut missing. Fortunately it wasn't mine. Now I try and remember to check the nuts frequently.

If you have lost a nut, have no spare (you should), and need to use the saw anyway - make sure the one you put the one nut on the front bar bolt.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I can only assume that I left the nuts loose. I know that I cleaned the saw after using it. The saw does have a bit of flex to it that I am not familiar with. I think that the anti-vibe causes this. On several occasions I've had the sensation that the saw was coming loose. Just the weight of the saw in contact with the log can cause the flex. So, I assumed that the loose feeling was just the anit-vibe. Next time I will leave it ready to go. Some PPE and some common sense will go a long way for me. Thanks again.

Back