Lets see your splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dream splitter

Do you have a slow motion video from start of swing to the split? I just want to see the travel of the ax as it hits the wood.:D

The pair of shoes are noticeable.

I just noticed there is only one shoe showing.

Closeups

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

I'll put a tape on it but Im guessing 18'.

Since no one posted one of these yet, here ya go. It used to split wood until it split itself on wood. No one has one like it, yet.

I couldn't resist adding this here, but this is the 27 ton Troy Bilt that some of you may not know about.

I love that 35 ton Huskee. What is the step below that one, is it the 22 ton?

Last edited:
Homemade. Barnes 28 GPM, Prince 5" x 30", auto-cycle, B&S 16 hp electric start. I'm planning on changing the wedge to a hydraulic 4-way.

Bvk6iSw2kKGrHqQOKkIEwQB5rLUMBMFOenYNTg_3.jpg

Oh yeah, my real splitter. Troy bilt 27 ton used for 3 years and haven't had a single issue with it. Edit: I did put a work table style log catcher on the one side of the beam so I didn't have to keep picking splits up off the ground to resplit.
loaded.jpg

Last edited:
PA100215.jpg

PA160227.jpg

Not finished yet, still waiting on the cylinders for the wedge adjust and log lift then for tables. 5 x 30 cylinder, 22gpm pump, autocycle valve, 12 x 12 W beam, all on spring suspension. Maybe some paint next year.

Since no one posted one of these yet, here ya go. It used to split wood until it split itself on wood. No one has one like it, yet.

I couldn't resist adding this here, but this is the 27 ton Troy Bilt that some of you may not know about.

I love that 35 ton Huskee. What is the step below that one, is it the 22 ton?

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow! That certainly is a one-of-a-kind splitter.

Right now I only see 35-, 28-, and 22-ton Huskee models at TSC. I think there was a 27-ton model a while ago. SpeeCo (makers of Huskee) also has many different 25-ton models with various components, and there's even one with a 12 second cycle time. I've also seen seen the SpeeCo 35-ton rebadged as a Bad Boy model (with diamond plate wheel guards and log catcher).

Last edited:
Here is my splitter. I am borrowing it from my dad. I might as well say I have inherited it from my dad. I call it the BIG UGLY by DADDYBUILT. My dad built this over 30 years ago. He added the overhead boom about 15 years ago to move heavy stuff, NOT WOOD :confused: . It is powered by a single cylinder Wisconsin motor that runs like a top. Over the past 30 years I bet it has split over 200+ cords of wood.

Jeff

Wow! That certainly is a one-of-a-kind splitter.

Right now I only see 35-, 28-, and 22-ton Huskee models at TSC. I think there was a 27-ton model a while ago. SpeeCo (makers of Huskee) also has many different 25-ton models with various components, and there's even one with a 12 second cycle time. I've also seen seen the SpeeCo 35-ton rebadged as a Bad Boy model (with diamond plate wheel guards and log catcher).

Thanks for bringing out my pics, I haven't posted on this site enough to figure out how to get the pics to show with the post instead of just the links for the pics.

I'm going to keep my eye out for one of those models in the 20's ton ratings through this winter if I can't get that TB cylinder welded. It seems Speeco/Huskee may have had issues but they took care of their customers to keep their reputation clean.

When I purchased my 27 ton I didn't do any research on it, I just got excited when I saw the honda engine and was sold. Live and learn, I guess.

Last edited:
This is my home grown splitter. We refer to it as black beauty. I accuired it from a farmer who left it out in the woods for 6 oor 7 years uncovered. The motor was locked up but everything else appeared to be ok. I purchased a broken pressure washer off craigs list for $50. This provided a 5hp Honda. I bolted it up to the existing single stage chain drive pump. Terribly slow, so I picked up an 11 gpm 2 stage pump from TSC. The splitter works great. With @ $250 invested I couldn't ask for more.

The only things lacking are an auto detent vave and a table.View attachment 154668

View attachment 154670

View attachment 154671

Last edited:
Here's my homemade splitter!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrinbounce2:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rvCZYTGV-DU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rvCZYTGV-DU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Not really mine kinda adopted it from a friends father last year. Early 1970's model, back when he had his fire wood operation he had two of these and was doing 100 cord or so a year. So this machine has 500+ cords on it id say, he had the business for about 10 years. Only minor things replaced and its on its 3rd motor now a 5hp honda still starts 1st pull.
PICT0153.jpg

Here's mine. Built it last winter. It was a brand new Swisher 28 ton. I re-arranged it a bit!
attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back