Let's see your tomatoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's what i'm getting ready to plant. also some hanging basket type called tumbling tom that i bought the other day at produce auction. they are a x-lg cherry type designed for hanging baskets. the flats are mountain fresh. also a few pepper plants.View attachment 504421 View attachment 504422 View attachment 504423

that's great, FS! looks like u got it together with the sets, too! :) I liked seeing your cherries. what kind? I had posted some of my sweet 100's in green stage... but noted today... that group is now turning red. they are a nice, large cherry tomato... looking forward to adding them to kitchen routines... so will you plant all those and then sell the produce? auction or farmer's market...?

that's great, FS! looks like u got it together with the sets, too! :) I liked seeing your cherries. what kind? I had posted some of my sweet 100's in green stage... but noted today... that group is now turning red. they are a nice, large cherry tomato... looking forward to adding them to kitchen routines... so will you plant all those and then sell the produce? auction or farmer's market...?
the cherries are called tumbling tom. going to plant all those as soon as it dries out and sell most through my market later this summer.

Not a lot of progress yet. They just had another down pour on them right after I took the picture, makes the third one today. They have a long way to go before I get my mater sandmich!

Attachments

• 2016-05-23 001 016.JPG
    2016-05-23 001 016.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 2016-05-23 001 015.JPG
    2016-05-23 001 015.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
is that your place? pretty grasses, in any event... I like the pastures and the tree lines off in the distance... nice pix... only rural is rural... :)

well, if ur bed/planter is having probs... mite consider raised beds. and good mulch around... tomatoes seem to like and do well as to rooting etc even if wet. but I am sure u know all about that... thanks for pix...

Yes it is my place, It has been in the family since the 1880's. The ol man said the house was built in 1890. I can try to get some pics. if you want to see them.
The tomatoes are on sort of a raised bed, That cow manure lets the water drain through pretty good. My buddy had his set out in regular dirt and they had so much water on them that they turned yellow and died.

Not a lot of progress yet. They just had another down pour on them right after I took the picture, makes the third one today. They have a long way to go before I get my mater sandmich!

looking good! i see tomatoes!! :) the only thing i would do if that was my tomato patch is i would mulch around the base of the plants... keep rain and water splashing mud off them, also helps reduce evaporation at the root ball level. and... if they were mine, and... given their size, if you haven't... then i would... side dress them with 13-13-13! :) enjoyed seeing...

never seen a farm, a barn, a pasture, a herd... nor garden, i din't like!! :)

Yes it is my place, It has been in the family since the 1880's. The ol man said the house was built in 1890. I can try to get some pics. if you want to see them. The tomatoes are on sort of a raised bed, That cow manure lets the water drain through pretty good. My buddy had his set out in regular dirt and they had so much water on them that they turned yellow and died.

pix? more? see ur 1880's 'homeplace'? of course... please by all means.... :picture:

as I said:

never seen a farm, a barn, a pasture, a herd... nor garden, i din't like!! :)

Here is a couple I got today between storms. The old chimney is all rocks from the creeks, It has a fire place down stairs and up stairs.

Attachments

• arborist site 001.JPG
    arborist site 001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • arborist site 002.JPG
    arborist site 002.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • arborist site 003.JPG
    arborist site 003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
A couple more from the front poarch and the truck seat.

Attachments

• 2016-05-23 001 009.JPG
    2016-05-23 001 009.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 2016-05-23 001 011.JPG
    2016-05-23 001 011.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 2016-05-23 001 013.JPG
    2016-05-23 001 013.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 2016-05-23 001 018.JPG
    2016-05-23 001 018.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
oh, u got them up. hadn't seen these...

really nice place! lots of tractors!! :) great looking grasses. great looking working farm. is the fireplace a working wood burner? LR and bedroom upstairs, too? I see an outside pipe, thinking maybe a wood burning stove...

lots of outbuildings... and paddock cross fencing, too. and in same hands over 130 years... omg, what stores that farm could tell... the car, the airplane, WWI, WWII, television, computer, man on moon and the AS! lol ;)

ok, more pix plse. kitchen, fireplace, etc...

been eating them as fast as them been coming in of late... but the garden is starting to win in this race... so here is a shot of whats on my counter currently... ripening inside...
P1010006.JPG

now, nothing to crow about given some of the ag/toamato activities I have seen here on AS. but... this is home garden stuff... and as any home gardener knows... it matters not... one tomato or two tomaotes... any that make if off the vine and into the kitchen are all rated :numberone:.

so to me... show me one tomato you grew at home... or an acre or two you 'truck farmed' up... and I will say: way to go!!!!

Nice tomatoes. Makes me hungry. I shouldn't have to wait too much longer for mine to start producing. Especially the Sweet 100 cherries.

No fruit from my garden yet. I just planted the tomato (and pepper) starts Tuesday last week. The biggest plant is about a foot and a half tall, but they are starting to grow now.

The pole beans are starting to climb. Lima (bush) are nearly a foot high now (the other thread convinced me to try lima this year). Pepper starts are quite small still.

I'm also trying Okra this year. Five plants that are still quite small.

The initial wait is part of the fun, I suppose.

Nice tomatoes. Makes me hungry. I shouldn't have to wait too much longer for mine to start producing. Especially the Sweet 100 cherries. No fruit from my garden yet. I just planted the tomato (and pepper) starts Tuesday last week. The biggest plant is about a foot and a half tall, but they are starting to grow now.The pole beans are starting to climb. Lima (bush) are nearly a foot high now (the other thread convinced me to try lima this year). Pepper starts are quite small still.I'm also trying Okra this year. Five plants that are still quite small.The initial wait is part of the fun, I suppose.

thanks! also have some lima project posts n pix over in the lima bean thread... u been there? my limas are podding well, and the beans inside 1/2 - 2/3rds ready to harvest. should get tons. lots of nice pods now and flowers galore...

I agree, growing it all is part of the fun. 2nd only to eating it... lol

I do some okra. like it pan fired best. many ways to cook it... also, if I pick tender pods 2" or so... I like them boiled too served with some butta'... of course, pretty good in a gumbo, too. 5 okra plants will get BIG, you just wait and see... lol

Update, They are starting to grow now, still long time before a mater sandmich! (but I am a waiting )

Attachments

• 2016-06-02 001 002.JPG
    2016-06-02 001 002.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 2016-06-02 001 003.JPG
    2016-06-02 001 003.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
This is a couple pics. from my neighbor up the road. Some maters, peppers, mellons, and lopes, and some cukes and strawberrys.

Attachments

• 2016-06-02 001 007.JPG
    2016-06-02 001 007.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 2016-06-02 001 008.JPG
    2016-06-02 001 008.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 2016-06-02 001 013.JPG
    2016-06-02 001 013.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 2016-06-02 001 005.JPG
    2016-06-02 001 005.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • 2016-06-02 001 014.JPG
    2016-06-02 001 014.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 5
oh, u got them up. hadn't seen these...

really nice place! lots of tractors!! :) great looking grasses. great looking working farm. is the fireplace a working wood burner? LR and bedroom upstairs, too? I see an outside pipe, thinking maybe a wood burning stove...

lots of outbuildings... and paddock cross fencing, too. and in same hands over 130 years... omg, what stores that farm could tell... the car, the airplane, WWI, WWII, television, computer, man on moon and the AS! lol ;)

ok, more pix plse. kitchen, fireplace, etc...

The outside pipe is the vent for one of two pellet stoves in this old cold ass house, along with three propane stoves, two with blowers and one wall mounted in the bath room, and five electric heaters. I am not able to cut enough fire wood to keep four or five wood burners going any more. I can remember back in the early sixty's when there were six fires going at one time here. (I have cut my share of fire wood)

Ten heaters in total and still cold!!
And four air conditioners in the summer, and still hot!!

Latest posts

Back