Let's see your tomatoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The outside pipe is the vent for one of two pellet stoves in this old cold ass house, along with three propane stoves, two with blowers and one wall mounted in the bath room, and five electric heaters. I am not able to cut enough fire wood to keep four or five wood burners going any more. I can remember back in the early sixty's when there were six fires going at one time here. (I have cut my share of fire wood)

Ten heaters in total and still cold!!
And four air conditioners in the summer, and still hot!!

all them heaters, u just need to do like the Indians did... circle the wagon train... then sleep in the middle! :D

cold? maybe u got your windows too far open on a cool night... lol . u got tall ceilings in that house? is it the original home-place? from 1880's... when built?....

why all that shade? I see a sunny spot couple feet to the R... ;) j/k... well, they look good, any flowers yet?

Not really any shade until real late in the evening from the old walnut tree about 40' away. Haven't seen any yet but will look today because I have to replant my limas because only 2 of them came up. ( For which I not very happy!! )

all them heaters, u just need to do like the Indians did... circle the wagon train... then sleep in the middle! :D

cold? maybe u got your windows too far open on a cool night... lol . u got tall ceilings in that house? is it the original home-place? from 1880's... when built?....

The two pellet stoves usually do all the heating until it gets down below 15 degrees then we can turn on the propane stoves to help keep up. Burn about 7 tons off pellets a year, which is WAY better than $700.00 to $800.00 a month on propane. Electric heaters are used no more than necessary. The ceilings are only 8' and the windows let in lots of air when the wind blows.

Not really any shade until real late in the evening from the old walnut tree about 40' away. Haven't seen any yet but will look today because I have to replant my limas because only 2 of them came up. ( For which I not very happy!! )

given the rains u have advised us of, maybe u planted too deep. for my bean seeds I like a friable soil underneath, the bean seed just dropped on it... then covered lightly with grass cuttings... produces excellent consistent germinations. until I tried this approach I would loose to rot in soil if got too wet, or was less than about 3/8ths deep... and I ain't measuring no stinking seed's depth! lol...

given the rains u have advised us of, maybe u planted too deep. for my bean seeds like a friable soil underneath, the bean seed just dropped on it... then covered lightly with grass cuttings... produces excellent consistent germinations. until I tried this approach I would loose to rot in soil if got too wet, or was less than about 3/8ths deep... and I ain't measuring no stinking seed's depth! lol...
I know, had to replant the squash and limas today.

Just a start for Backyard. You asked so be it!!

Please pay no attention to the mess!

Attachments

• new house 010.JPG
    new house 010.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • new house 004.JPG
    new house 004.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • new house 001.JPG
    new house 001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • new house 002.JPG
    new house 002.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • new house 009.JPG
    new house 009.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
The two pellet stoves usually do all the heating until it gets down below 15 degrees then we can turn on the propane stoves to help keep up. Burn about 7 tons off pellets a year, which is WAY better than $700.00 to $800.00 a month on propane. Electric heaters are used no more than necessary. The ceilings are only 8' and the windows let in lots of air when the wind blows.
here's the 'mater patch @amberg .there is one row of eggplant along the tomatoes. the other two are my one patch of early sweet corn and the pepper patch.
20160605_090021_resized.jpg
20160605_090042_resized.jpg
20160605_090111_resized.jpg
20160605_090228_resized.jpg

I know, had to replant the squash and limas today.

Just a start for Backyard. You asked so be it!!

Please pay no attention to the mess!

good pix... good static 'Slice of Life' views... hey, its an old farmhouse... the 'really big deal' thing is ur family still owns it and... its still standing. I know where I would be sleeping on a cold winter's night... just off center of the wood burning fireplace... in my artic sleeping bag! :yes:

thanks for posting. :)

>Burn about 7 tons off pellets a year, :surprised3:

>WAY better than $700.00 to $800.00 a month on propane. :surprised3:

>The ceilings are only 8' :surprised3:

> the windows let in lots of air when the wind blows :surprised3:

but on a pleasant spring or fall evening... priceless!

here's the 'mater patch @amberg .there is one row of eggplant along the tomatoes. the other two are my one patch of early sweet corn and the pepper patch.View attachment 506630 View attachment 506631 View attachment 506632 View attachment 506633

FS: quite a view! definitely 'no need to say I'm sorry!' pics and ops... nice. impressive to say the least... especially for a backyard home garden... :laughing: are those soaker hoses by the tomatoes? what is ur plant spacing for tomatoes and eggplants? just wondering... do u hand pick all those tomatoes? diff types or all the same?... I have only seen one 'tomato patch' bigger than yours... up in McComb, OH... and it was about 20 acres... maybe more... and another one right next to it...

commercial cannery supplier...

FS: quite a view! definitely 'no need to say I'm sorry!' pics and ops... nice. impressive to say the least... especially for a backyard home garden... :laughing: are those soaker hoses by the tomatoes? what is ur plant spacing for tomatoes and eggplants? just wondering... do u hand pick all those tomatoes? diff types or all the same?... I have only seen one 'tomato patch' bigger than yours... up in McComb, OH... and it was about 20 acres... maybe more... and another one right next to it...

commercial cannery supplier...
those are "drip"lines. couldn't grow without it. here's a link to the place i buy mine at. https://www.martinsproducesupplies.com/products/drip-tape-0 in row spacing for most everthing is 18". we did do a few at 36" to accommodate some of the big cages i'll use on some. the others will get the florida weave. rows are about 5' apart. all the same variety except for a few grape and cherry types. all are hand picked by yours truly.

Very nice indeed farmer, I presume you don't have to water the sweet corn. Does your well supply the water for the drip lines? That corn looks likes it is really starting to hump now. ( I love my sweet corn )

That is a whole lot of picking!!

Also love the eggplants!

Very nice indeed farmer, I presume you don't have to water the sweet corn. Does your well supply the water for the drip lines? That corn looks likes it is really starting to hump now. ( I love my sweet corn )

That is a whole lot of picking!!

Also love the eggplants!
lucky enough to have a separate well for the produce. not quite enough for the corn although i get nervous when it gets hot and dry in late august.

Finally, It is about time. I did get a couple patches off sweet corn up. As you can tell we had another down pour last night. Not going to catch up with yours though farmer. It was planted last saturday so it did come up pretty quick.

Attachments

• 2016-06-05 001 003.JPG
    2016-06-05 001 003.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 2016-06-05 001 002.JPG
    2016-06-05 001 002.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Backyard, I did find a couple maters and some blooms, They have decided to finally grow.

Attachments

• 2016-06-05 001 008.JPG
    2016-06-05 001 008.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 2016-06-05 001 007.JPG
    2016-06-05 001 007.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
those are "drip"lines. couldn't grow without it. here's a link to the place i buy mine at. https://www.martinsproducesupplies.com/products/drip-tape-0 in row spacing for most everthing is 18". we did do a few at 36" to accommodate some of the big cages i'll use on some. the others will get the florida weave. rows are about 5' apart. all the same variety except for a few grape and cherry types. all are hand picked by yours truly.

Thanks FS - interesting... never heard of that method before... but that don't mean anything! lol... I had a bunch of drip hoses, soakers... oodles... picked the lot up at a garage sale for $3.00! :D din't really use them so an older guy that me :laughing: one day at Lowes... was trying to buy some... asking some questions of their 'experts'... and I told him I had some, and he could have them for free! :surprised3: was his look! then... :sweet:; free? yep. free... ok. ok, foller me... and I gave them to him. glad they were gone and could be used. I was invited to go see his garden and how he was going to lay it out with the soakers... but never did...

Very nice indeed farmer, I presume you don't have to water the sweet corn. Does your well supply the water for the drip lines? That corn looks likes it is really starting to hump now. ( I love my sweet corn ) That is a whole lot of picking!! Also love the eggplants!

>That is a whole lot of picking!!

that is what I was thinking, too!

Finally, It is about time. I did get a couple patches off sweet corn up. As you can tell we had another down pour last night. Not going to catch up with yours though farmer. It was planted last saturday so it did come up pretty quick.

swell 'garden plot'... did u machine plant the corn or by hand... or roller?

Latest posts

Back