Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well what i think i have planned is maybe getting contracts that pay you for the thinning and maybe you get some saw logs out?i do not plan to go commercial like george being as the mill is really done this time as in dismantled:cry:,i got a chance to run a t190 grapple last summer and i was thoroughly impressed,i used to think they were tinkertoys but that thing did just fine,really hard to flip i tested it pretty well:dizzy:and yeah i dont like that no equipment in the village rule one bit,you pay for that place and you should be able to park whatever the firk you want there!awww that pisses me off,did you know that old barb springer tried to get the use of chainsaws inside the village banned!well i tell you what if they want my chainsaw from me on my land they can come and get it!ill take a couple licks off the rakers just to meet them proper.:chainsaw:

Just a word on the T-190's... They're about worthless on packed snow! I got first hand experience on that one.

They're good in mud and other conditions, but no good on rocky ground... The rocks tear the tracks up.

ASV touts their machine as a better puller etc... I've never ran an ASV though.

I ran the poo out'a a TL-250 last summer on my job... That thing is a brute! It has Cat controls, and two speeds... You should have seen the size of granite boulders I was moving with it! :dizzy:

TL250.jpg

This video shows what I'm saying about the T-Series Bobcats...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjYT8lQN6YU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JjYT8lQN6YU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here's a video of the TL-240...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vuLREx-O73k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vuLREx-O73k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

been tryin to post but i type one finger at a time,i knew i should have stayed in school dammit!ok im over it,i dont know about the head to head push off there could be all kind of hydraulic wrangling going on there?i think a back to back push off would be a more fair challenge,and also the takeuchi has narrow tracks i would consider that an advantage in low traction situation..ok thats all the pescimism i can muster...thanks for post:cheers:

been tryin to post but i type one finger at a time,i knew i should have stayed in school dammit!ok im over it,i dont know about the head to head push off there could be all kind of hydraulic wrangling going on there?i think a back to back push off would be a more fair challenge,and also the takeuchi has narrow tracks i would consider that an advantage in low traction situation..ok thats all the pescimism i can muster...thanks for post:cheers:

I know the video of the skid steers going head to head looks setup... But we had one on our job in the winter, and it could barely get out of it's own way... The guy that bought it new was running it, and was so disappointed with it's winter performance, he was going to trade it in the following spring.

i definately believe your firsthand account,i shouldnt even talk im just a rookie in the skidsteer world,but apparently it doesnt snow here anymore?well not as much as it used to 90"a year,but rocks we definately have rocks,has anyone that you know ever run steel tracks on their skidsteer?

I don't think it would make any difference what machine they're on, in packed snow and ice rubber tracks are gonna suck. There is a company that makes stud's that screw into the rubber tracks though, now that might be interesting.

I've had both Bobcat, and ASV. I will have to say that as far as dry ground, and light mud traction the ASV has it hand's down. On Packed snow, and deep mud I'll have to give it to a regular old Bobcat with tires. Oh, don't forget to put a set of steel track's over those tires. The T series Bobcat's and the ASV's have a better center of gravity with the weight of the track systems. But I've had my old 863 in places that most folks couldn't carry a quart of oil.

Andy

well what i think i have planned is maybe getting contracts that pay you for the thinning and maybe you get some saw logs out?i do not plan to go commercial like george being as the mill is really done this time as in dismantled:cry:,i got a chance to run a t190 grapple last summer and i was thoroughly impressed,i used to think they were tinkertoys but that thing did just fine,really hard to flip i tested it pretty well:dizzy:and yeah i dont like that no equipment in the village rule one bit,you pay for that place and you should be able to park whatever the firk you want there!awww that pisses me off,did you know that old barb springer tried to get the use of chainsaws inside the village banned!well i tell you what if they want my chainsaw from me on my land they can come and get it!ill take a couple licks off the rakers just to meet them proper.:chainsaw:

Sound's like you're wanting to do the same thing I'm doing. Come on in, the water's fine (when there's any work).
That T190 is just a little less capacity than my old 863, and no they're not tinker toy's. But if you ever get in a bigger one like that T320 you're talking about, you'll ruin yourself as far as smaller machines.

Actually Barb isn't as bad as most around here think. When I was one of the village idiot's I gave her a copy of the Constitution, and reminded her that she had sworn an oath to uphold it. To my surprise she actually listened (sometimes). I figure when the village start's paying my property tax, then they can have a say in what happens on my property. I just hope they don't piss me off bad enough that I loose my mind, and run again.:jawdrop:

Andy

Last edited:
i got that t190 sideways on some frozen red dirt last fall,and it reacted very similiar to a d6c,shirt was happening way too firkin fast! i think theres most likely a give and take to all machines,but i appreciate all the info i can get!i will begin my takeuchi research they look like it had some pretty neat features,and that lifting force was insane on that thing!thnx(the windowshopper)lol

i got that t190 sideways on some frozen red dirt last fall,and it reacted very similiar to a d6c,shirt was happening way too firkin fast! i think theres most likely a give and take to all machines,but i appreciate all the info i can get!i will begin my takeuchi research they look like it had some pretty neat features,and that lifting force was insane on that thing!thnx(the windowshopper)lol

I looked at Takeuchi (or however it's spelled) several years ago. There wern't any dealers in the area, and it was going to be quite a wait for parts. Things may have changed though.
It' a 100 mile drive to the closest dealer for anything other than a chainsaw anyway though.

Andy

yeah it would be very similiar to what you have going,need not worry though i am only speculating markets,i may not even get off the ground?but i am gonna give it a go,forestry would be a plus but i really like the different attatchments bobcat offers,cause as you know all too well tree killin is a tough biz,sorry dint mean to speak ill of :bang:barb i never would have guessed you two getting along?me and my assumptions

yeah it would be very similiar to what you have going,need not worry though i am only speculating markets,i may not even get off the ground?but i am gonna give it a go,forestry would be a plus but i really like the different attatchments bobcat offers,cause as you know all too well tree killin is a tough biz,sorry dint mean to speak ill of :bang:barb i never would have guessed you two getting along?me and my assumptions

Chris, I don't worry about someone that know's what's going on getting in the business. I let my work speak for itself, as I know yours would too, and I enjoy working with other contractors who take pride in their work.

Don't worry about speaking ill of Barb either. I've done my fair share of it too. :laugh: We mostly agreed to disagree, but towards the end we started getting along. She had good intentions. But I hear tell, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. ;)

Andy

don't know if we are still on the topic of skidders

ive operated or worked around, operated most of them: (in order from smallest)
340D cable
440A cable x 2
440D turbo cable
540A cable
540A grapple
540B cable x 2
540B grapple x 2
540D turbo cable
540G cable
540GIII cable
548GII grapple
648D grapple x 2
450 Timberjack grapple
525 Cat grapple

i know i'm forgetting some.

nearly all were powershift

i've ran tire sizes of 16.9, 18.4, 23.1, 28, 30.5, 34, 36, 44

ask away and i'll tell you what i know

Crap, I did it again.:bang:

Andy

We can talk about whatever we want in this thread boys :cheers:... Who wants in on some bewbs?

Megan Fox
attachment.php

She played in Transformers (2007), and in Transformers 2... Which I went to a midnight showing of last night... I got home at 3AM.

Mmmmm... Megan fox. :drool:

nice ! now we are getting somewhere!that girl is smokin hot,hey i dont know if you knew it or not andy but they filmed a couple scenes for transformers 2 down at the sawmill,i am pretty sure they did alot of the filming for 3 in this area too,as far as i am concerned just drop off megan and the rest of them can head back to hollywood!

Latest posts

Back