Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not trying to be a stick in the mud, but remember, you can make anything look good on paper. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying be sure to do all your own homework before investing the equity in your home. It's tough, with one employee you're stuck on the job at all times because you can't leave one man alone in the woods. With 2 employee's you'll be lucky if they get anything done while you're gone looking at the next job. On the weekends while your employee's are going to the lake, or riding dirt bikes and having fun, you'll be doing the maintenance and repairs on equipment so they can go to work on Monday.
I want to encourage you in this, but I want you to walk into it with both eye's open, and no rose colored glasses.

Andy

Excellent advice Andy! :cheers:

Excellent advice Andy! :cheers:

It's just one of the lesson's I learned while getting my degree from the school of hard knock's. :cheers:
I've seen a lot of guy's who were really good hands start out on their own without looking at everything there is to look at, only to loose everything they have. Bullbuck has the ability to do as well as anyone in this business, if he really, really, really want's to.

Andy

you are exactly right,i do not want to try and pull this off in my fortys,the path that i have chosen is clear i will continue to work indefinately...so i might as well work for myself,i have always been a keen listener when asking old timers for info,i have been doing the same when asking my friends about being business owners themselves,and they dont neccesarily reccomend it but at the same time they have the all the nice things i would like,but as you said they might not sleep much if at all...might as well give it a go, i dont sleep worth a shirt anyways! thanks for the reinforcement.

It's just one of the lesson's I learned while getting my degree from the school of hard knock's. :cheers:
I've seen a lot of guy's who were really good hands start out on their own without looking at everything there is to look at, only to loose everything they have. Bullbuck has the ability to do as well as anyone in this business, if he really, really, really want's to.

Andy

Exactly... That's been my biggest hurdle being in business for myself. It's taken me 5 years of mistakes trying to figure things out... It's really hard to think of every aspect of a business, and bidding a job.

Owning a business isn't for the faint of heart... There have been many times I wanted to give up, or I got depressed, or I'd lose a lot of money.

You have to really be a self motivator as well... That's another thing I struggle with.

that is really good advice andy,i have at least one year and maybe two before i can even think of purchasing anything,so this will give me lots of time to research...i already have a stack of paper an inch thick of my "research",the greatest thing i have going for me is hands on knowledge,but that alone does not make things work,(one employee) i know i am dreaming there but i do want to stay small and remain very diverse,i only want to keep logging because it is what i like to do but,i must keep an open mind and follow the money where it leads...it may not even be logging?but i cant see stopping now been in it too long

you are exactly right,i do not want to try and pull this off in my fortys,the path that i have chosen is clear i will continue to work indefinately...so i might as well work for myself,i have always been a keen listener when asking old timers for info,i have been doing the same when asking my friends about being business owners themselves,and they dont neccesarily reccomend it but at the same time they have the all the nice things i would like,but as you said they might not sleep much if at all...might as well give it a go, i dont sleep worth a shirt anyways! thanks for the reinforcement.

It's not so bad pulling it off in your forty's, if it's what you have your heart set on (I did.....er...am). Remember that those "nice things" are either a result of years of hard work, or an indication of being over extended. Having a business is like having a jellous wife, if you take your mind off of her for a second she will get your attention.
I've been self-employed most of my life. The longest I've ever worked for anyone else was the 3 years I worked for White Sands Forest Products. So I'll never tell you not to do it, but there are easier way's to make a living.

Andy

Exactly... That's been my biggest hurdle being in business for myself. It's taken me 5 years of mistakes trying to figure things out... It's really hard to think of every aspect of a business, and bidding a job.

Owning a business isn't for the faint of heart... There have been many times I wanted to give up, or I got depressed, or I'd lose a lot of money.

You have to really be a self motivator as well... That's another thing I struggle with.

Truer words were never spoken. :cheers:
My business is a lot different than logging, but I still get to cut & skid trees.
When things are good, you're on top of the world. But that's when I tend to get over confident and screw up somewhere. When things are not so good (like right now) is when I have a hard time motivating myself, and I'm the only one there is to motivate me. Lot's of up's and down's.

Andy

i also struggle with self motivation i have to have someone to work with or i get sidetracked...i got a couple buddys that wont go home until they are damn sure they got something done..it is all a bout getting a solid crew that looks out for one another...and it keeps you going as to not let them down either. i can say all i want but i know enough that when i actualy get there it will be nothing like i expected...

I always expected my wife to help motivate me... Yeah, I was pissing in the wind there.

You have to motivate yourself for sure... You'd be AMAZED at the amount of negative input you'll get from friends and family!

that is really good advice andy,i have at least one year and maybe two before i can even think of purchasing anything,so this will give me lots of time to research...i already have a stack of paper an inch thick of my "research",the greatest thing i have going for me is hands on knowledge,but that alone does not make things work,(one employee) i know i am dreaming there but i do want to stay small and remain very diverse,i only want to keep logging because it is what i like to do but,i must keep an open mind and follow the money where it leads...it may not even be logging?but i cant see stopping now been in it too long

You've got the right idea in my opinion. Diversity is the key to surviving in times like this, but it can also run you ragged if you want to stay small (like me). In my opinion, the best advice that I can give you is to borrow as little money as possible. Buy decent used equipment and get it paid for ASAP at all cost. Right now everything I have is paid for, not pretty, but paid for, except one credit card, but that's another story. If I had to I could put it all in moth ball's and go get a job at the convenience store to put bean's on the table. Not that I will, but I could if I had to. Just another form of diversity.

Andy

I always expected my wife to help motivate me... Yeah, I was pissing in the wind there.

You have to motivate yourself for sure... You'd be AMAZED at the amount of negative input you'll get from friends and family!

Yep, I love my wife. I wouldn't take 10 million dollars for her.........................But I wouldn't give a nickle for a box car load just like her. ;)
You are the only one that you can depend on to motivate you.

Andy

If you looking for a machine check the auctions in Canada. 200 mills have closed here in the last couple years and logging equipment is a dime a dozen, unless its is alomost new, then its $.50 on a dollar.
Check Richie Brothers or like auctions. We bought a 648 d dual function site unseen in Thunder Bay 2 years back for 6200.00
The tires and chains are worth that used, and despite showing high hours it seem to be a sound machine that would be a good candidate for a part timer. I'm sure it has had many rebuilt components do to the hours. We had another one just like it and thought it was worth it for the parts.

After we won the bid we had to decide on choice of 2 based on small pictures because you bid inside now instead of out in the ring. Had no intention of buying it until it went for nothing, Picked ours then went outside to see what we had done.

It needs center pin work and brakes, but basically works and runs good, 3 good tires and 2 good chains. I took it to my neighbours and re skidded 80 cords that the mill would not buy up off his swamp last spring and never missed a beat.
Ken

hey thanks i will definately check out those auction sites,i think i have my heart set on a t320 skidsteer with an eagle talon grapple setup,i have seen that bobcat put out a steeltrack setup for these too,boy i think that would real nice for in the woods...but i am still quite aways out forbuying anything but it certainly couldnt hurt to do a little shopping...thanks for your input

Just remember that Bobcat wasn't made to skid logs. They are a lot slower at getting log's out than what you're used to. I did it with a Bobcat 863 for several years, and it beat the old Case 310 I had before it, but some kind of skidder is a must in my opinion. If you're going to stay small (couple of guy's for help) it would be best to stay with equipment that you can move with whatever truck you have though. That way you're not out the money, or waiting on someone elses schedule to have it moved.

Oh yeah, don't plan on keeping equipment at your house. The village just sent me a certified letter telling me I have to move all of mine. :laugh:
I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do, fight or run. I always did enjoy a good fight. If I decide to run, it won't be far..........or too long. :hmm3grin2orange:

Andy

well what i think i have planned is maybe getting contracts that pay you for the thinning and maybe you get some saw logs out?i do not plan to go commercial like george being as the mill is really done this time as in dismantled:cry:,i got a chance to run a t190 grapple last summer and i was thoroughly impressed,i used to think they were tinkertoys but that thing did just fine,really hard to flip i tested it pretty well:dizzy:and yeah i dont like that no equipment in the village rule one bit,you pay for that place and you should be able to park whatever the firk you want there!awww that pisses me off,did you know that old barb springer tried to get the use of chainsaws inside the village banned!well i tell you what if they want my chainsaw from me on my land they can come and get it!ill take a couple licks off the rakers just to meet them proper.:chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back