Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used to run a John Deere 440 A everyday, it was a nice solid machine, tippy and a little cold natured but starting fluid fixed that.

My 540B is a little tippy to, but if I had forestry tires on it it wouldn't be as bad.

My 540B is a little tippy to, but if I had forestry tires on it it wouldn't be as bad.

I have 23.1x26 tires on mine any they help alot. . . .those 18.4x26 tires that they come with are just stupid i dont know what deere was thinking with a high center of gravity and narrow axles and tires.

I have 23.1x26 tires on mine any they help alot. . . .those 18.4x26 tires that they come with are just stupid i dont know what deere was thinking with a high center of gravity and narrow axles and tires.

After a while you gets used to it feling like your your going to tip over when you drive over a stump.:hmm3grin2orange:

After a while you gets used to it feling like your your going to tip over when you drive over a stump.:hmm3grin2orange:

Likelyhood of rolling it on a stump is slim its wnen your traversing open hollows with big drags that you had beter keep that right hand ready to let em loose in a fast hurry!!

I used to love watching the do do head that ran over my thumb hit stumps. The look of sheer terror when the old mule would cock about 30 degrees to the side ad then flop back onto level!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your want talk about a stable machine .. . . . a cat 518 grapple with 28L's

we have an older one and it just wont tip.. . ..i think the center ossolation helps not to mention it weighs a bazzion tons and is a gutless wonder.

it doesnt scare me a whole lot until there are no trees for a long ways to catch you,there was i guy i met that flipped a timberjack similiar to mine'he said seventeen times?'i do not know what i do know is on my way to work the next morning i checked out where he lost it,####ing insane to have a skidder up there,i have been cat skinnin on d6c for several years and this was definately cat ground,the guy rolled over two traverse roads on probably a 800'tall ridge broke the thing completely in two and lived to tell the tale! to top the day off the boss fired him what an ahole!

it doesnt scare me a whole lot until there are no trees for a long ways to catch you,there was i guy i met that flipped a timberjack similiar to mine'he said seventeen times?'i do not know what i do know is on my way to work the next morning i checked out where he lost it,####ing insane to have a skidder up there,i have been cat skinnin on d6c for several years and this was definately cat ground,the guy rolled over two traverse roads on probably a 800'tall ridge broke the thing completely in two and lived to tell the tale! to top the day off the boss fired him what an ahole!

I got myself into one hell of a situation a while back. well a butt puckerer by my standards any way. So i am backed up to the end of a cut to get at some timber up the hill which i know was every bit of a 55 degree grade, you know the kind where if you drop your saw, its gonna go for a RIDE. any way i hopped in after pulling my brains out and choking 3 good reds (bucked). Went to reel em in and cause i didnt have my blade down hard it pointed the skidder down the hill just a bit. I am thinking "#### im still ok, she will just dip down and crawl back onto the road, well doing this is a scary menuver to begin with but you get used to it after a while. When i had gotten the front end back pointing up i really thought i had it, just had to let the ass follow, well the bank sunk under the back tire about a foot and a half and all the sudden im looking out my left grate and it looks like im sitting on the edge of a 5 story building with No skidder stopping trees for a good 400 yards down. I was scared to even open my door to see where my tire wa about to go.
I ended up getting my boss to come with the 5 and shove me a platform that i could drive onto.(he was thrilled) When i did let her go foward w swear the thing should have gone over. Thoes timberjacks will hold their own in the hills.
But like i said this was a scary thing to me.
my boss is INSANE with it, PURE INSANITY! and he tells me that he has lost most of his nerve...

About your story, there was an old fellow that sent a skidder down a hill 17 times in Montvail VA last summer. Sadly it killed him.

Once the wheels get busted off you can pretty much kiss your ass goodbuy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran a john deere 440 B for good part of the winter. Its a good solid skidder. Ya she gets a little tricky on them hills. most of time i was on 3 wheels on the hills, kinda get used to it. remeber a few times where i had to change my underwear after lol. sorry to hear about the skidder operator die

on steep ground i try to turn around above a catch tree but if i do not have one, on my timberjack anyways i will push my blade down and make sure my hydraulics have charged!lol and the corner of the blade pushing down will actually set the light side back down if anticipated properly

Sure seems like a swing-boom is a lot more versatile.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fveTRUg_rOY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fveTRUg_rOY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

on steep ground i try to turn around above a catch tree but if i do not have one, on my timberjack anyways i will push my blade down and make sure my hydraulics have charged!lol and the corner of the blade pushing down will actually set the light side back down if anticipated properly

The guy that owned my little JD before me had widened the blade to the full width of the skidder. I didn't think I'd like it in the woods, but I didn't take time to cut it back down. I'm glad I didn't, I've decided it's just 18" of comfort zone on each side and has saved me more than once.

Andy

The guy that owned my little JD before me had widened the blade to the full width of the skidder. I didn't think I'd like it in the woods, but I didn't take time to cut it back down. I'm glad I didn't, I've decided it's just 18" of comfort zone on each side and has saved me more than once.

Andy

Andy, got any handy pictures of your skidder?

Here she is pulling whole tree's. I think I had 5 on that turn.

WalkerJob014.jpg

Gathering up a few.

WalkerJob025.jpg

Just sittin there, not makin' no money.

WalkerJob004.jpg

Just for fun.

WalkerJob020.jpg

All ya had to do was ask. :cheers:

Andy

Back