Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey metals,quite the machine but from a mechanical standpoint i am a pescimast, i only see a bunch more things that could go wrong?this is my fault,but if the put another ten feet on that thing with a grapple camera they could load the trucks too...lol

Andy, those turns are rather impressive for that little machine! I imagine in those pecker poles, a guy'd have to set 20 chokers on a turn! LOL

Andy, those turns are rather impressive for that little machine! I imagine in those pecker poles, a guy'd have to set 20 chokers on a turn! LOL

She'll pull what ever you want to hook to as long as the hill is steep enough, and you're going down it.:laugh: But once you hit flat ground 5 whole green trees that size is about all she want's at 7500'.
If I'm skidding log's I try to get at least 2 log's per choker, but I'm only set up with 5 slides.

Andy

fair enough,got a chance to run the sawmills fire skidder that was alot like yours andy and that thing was scary even in the flats get u puckered flattening a gopher!

Yep, anything over 40% I have to stop and look over the top, gulp real big, dump the clutch and holler Yeeee hawwww!!!!!.
For some reason that makes me feel better, and the State Forestry guy's are pretty sure I'm nut's.:dizzy:

Andy

I'll take a picture of that old Clark tomorrow too, on my way back from the sale. It has one of those, "Hurry up and sell it" paint jobs. :rolleyes:

I'll take a picture of that old Clark tomorrow too, on my way back from the sale. It has one of those, "Hurry up and sell it" paint jobs. :rolleyes:

I hate those paint job's. I bought an old International farm tractor once that had "fresh paint". Hydraulic fitting's had been painted over. What the heck, right? Yeah right. It was the second day I worked it before they started leaking again though.

Andy

I hate those paint job's. I bought an old International farm tractor once that had "fresh paint". Hydraulic fitting's had been painted over. What the heck, right? Yeah right. It was the second day I worked it before they started leaking again though.

Andy

I agree 100%... I'd rather see one all beat up and scratched! Those paint jobs look like crap.

They paint over everything, like it's actually gong to make it look good?.. Yeah, maybe from 300 yards.

I've seen some where they even got paint on the tires and seat. :monkey:

If you are cutting timber, hydraulic leaks are a way of life.

expect to go through at least 5 gallons a week...

And expect to get drenched with it every 3 weeks.(MAN it makes dirt stick!)

how do i know this???

I think the most economacial skidders are the mountian loggers. They normally have 353 or 453 detroits that are a dime a dozen and standered transmissions that are real easy on fuel. The best one to look for the the model H with two steering cylinders.

If you are cutting timber, hydraulic leaks are a way of life.

expect to go through at least 5 gallons a week...

And expect to get drenched with it every 3 weeks.(MAN it makes dirt stick!)

how do i know this???

I've been cutting timber for a day or two, and if I go through 5 gallons in a week I busted a hose or something.
If you're going through 5 gallons a week in normal operation, someone isn't maintaining their equipment.

Andy

how did you guess?

Boss man isent the best at that but he does ok. He has gon through $300 worth of hoses and or fittings in a week between the skidder and loader.. sometimes when you have to limp her back to the landing, you use alot of fluid!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha. Just lucky I guess.

Just plain old R&O fluid is over $10 a gallon around here. I can afford to keep good hoses on my equipment at that rate.

A lot of guy's don't keep up their equipment because they like to play on the week ends. I usually spend my weekends making sure everything is ready to make money come Monday morning.

Andy

Here's some pics of the sale area... Went up there this evening with my 2 boys along for the ride.

These first pictures are of the sale area, but nothing will be taken from there.

The Roberts Fire burned thousands and thousands of acres.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back